Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows

Yesterday I put the door glass and new felts in my Victoria. The driver side glass is hard to raise and wants to come up up crooked, lower on the back side. I lubed the channels with graphite but it still is the same. Any ideas?

Are the top corners slightly rounded, so they don't snag on the felt channel lining?

Any pictures of the lower channel and mechanical parts?

Comment

I like to spray up the runs / felt channels real good with silicone spray and a straw. This may not be the cure for your issue but it's good practice
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Tom, the corners are rounded. I dont have any pics but both right and left sides looke the same.

Comment

I maneuver the glass channel in and out where it binds, to see if the channel web needs to be shimmed at the door . Thin poster board or cardboard often works. Haven't had much success with lubricants which gum up the felt. Also check the felt channel run rivets at the clips. Our slant window has retaining channels which can get misaligned or the tack welds fail. I had the latter causing binding and resulting cracked glass. Once fixed, glass was very smooth and didn't rattle.
          Last edited by plyfor; 12-16-2017, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Is the glass the correct width??
            Paul in CT

Comment

Get a piece of 1/4 X 2 flatbar,smooth the edges and use it to 'seat' the channel

Comment

Vaseline is DADS friendHe may recommend that

SA K-soonouut
                3 ~ Tudor's
                Henry Ford said
                "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Paul, The glass is the correct width and after several shots of dry graphite and some red grease on the regulators they are getting easier to operate. Mitch, I don't even wanna ask what dad does with the Vaseline..... At my house we use to put it on the bedroom doorknob to keep the kids out. Today I got the rear quarter and back glass installed they went in and operate with no problems. Thanks to all who have replied.

Comment

When I bought my pickup, the windows just absolutely refused to cooperate. New regulators and channels solved the problem. The regulators that were there didn't look all that bad, they just didn't work. They were made by Vintique. My new regulators were make by Snyder's and work much better. Even the new channels needed to be shimmed as mentioned above to make them work effeciently.
                    Alaskan A's
                    Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
                    Model A Ford Club of America
                    Model A Restorers Club
                    Antique Automobile Club of America
                    Mullins Owners Club

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Art Ebeling
                      Window felts
                      by Art Ebeling
                      When installing window felts in the doors and quarters does the upper rubber seal go from all the way across the top with the felt channels stopping at it or does it go between the felt channels with the felts going to the top of the door or quarter frame. Mine is a Victoria but any sedan might be the same....
                      11-07-2017, 02:20 PM
                    • Farmputzer
                      Installing door windows
                      by Farmputzer
                      What is the procedure for installing new door window glass in a 30 Murray town sedan?...
                      04-30-2018, 07:55 PM
                    • Fixitphil
                      Door Windows
                      by Fixitphil
                      I'm replacing my door window and windshield glass in my 31 Sport Coupe. When installing the new felt channel is there a mastic that you install them with or none? Thanks
                      10-24-2017, 07:46 AM
                    • Mickey
                      Question about window felt channel
                      by Mickey
                      When installing new felt channels is it best to install dry or do you recommend using an adhesive?...
                      06-29-2018, 02:12 PM
                    • Mitch
                      Window glass setting bonder epoxy, Not window tape
                      by Mitch
                      This is what i use to set the glass into the window channels. It's made by 3M and is a two part epoxy type mix which uses this special gun and a mixing nozzle.. I guess one could get some out and mix it by hand if needed without the applicator gun, but you may have to break it open. If the glass ever needs to be removed just heat the channel with a hair dryer or a heat gun. I don't like using the...
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 2 photos.
                      09-11-2017, 09:53 AM
                    • Mitch
                      Window channel glass setting channel bonder
                      by Mitch
                      This is what i use to set the glass into the window channels. It's made by 3M and is a two part epoxy type mix which uses this special gun and a mixing nozzle.. I guess one could get some out and mix it by hand if needed without the applicator gun, but you may have to break it open. If the glass ever needs to be removed just heat the channel with a hair dryer or a heat gun. I don't like using the...
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 2 photos.
                      09-11-2017, 09:53 AM
                    • Leo
                      Drivers Window Difficult to Crank Up?
                      by Leo
                      On my 1930 coupe I find the drivers window very hard to raise. When restoring the car I replaced all the channels and glass in the doors and for some reason the passenger side window works well but the drivers side not so much. What can we try short of removing the upholstery panel to get inside the door?
                      04-20-2018, 09:33 AM
                    • richsfords
                      removal of glass B-160 rear doors
                      by richsfords
                      I tried to search but no luck,
                      I am sending my doors out for paint and want to remove the glass and cranks and such. Must the glass be forced from the track at the bottom? the felt tracks side need to come out at the same time?
                      thanks
                      07-08-2018, 04:06 PM
                    • canadian
                      Window seals
                      by canadian
                      anyone recommend window seal , guide channel kits besides Vintique. Vintique are to thick and crap....
                      04-20-2018, 07:38 AM
                    • Saltydawg
                      Need left rear window channel for 36 Ford sedan
                      by Saltydawg
                      I've looked high and low and the left rear window channel (the thing the glass rides in) seems to be extict, the right (passenger side) is readily available in original and after market but for some reason I cant find the left and its all I'm lacking for putting in my windows, anybody have one to sell?
                      02-20-2018, 08:09 AM
                    Working...
                    X