Model A hill climbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model A hill climbers

Im fascinated with these guys who are building and racing Model A’s as hill climbers. I live in Alaska so it’s not something my eyes have ever seen. Do they race against other Model A’s only? Is it time trial? Where do they do them? If anyone has any experience with it I’d love to hear about it.

I think Bob (carolinamudwalker) does this stuff once a year...he'll chime in

I think it varies with the club......prolly with the As it is all As

I was involved with the VSCCA years ago and it was all the marques that belonged to the club, and it was timed

Comment

• carolinamudwalker
      carolinamudwalker commented
      Editing a comment
      No Dave, racing takes money that I don't have. But when the club gets to the mountains I am not the last to get to the top.

I have been do it for many years. It is a timed event up a hill. More like a drag race up a incline, one car at a time. Who gets to the end the quickest wins. They have servile classes. stock, modified, speedster flat head, speedster overhead, plus more. You have to use a Model A engine, plus lots more rules.

Comment

Thanks George. I’d like to see a race one day. I bought an engine from engine builder Ron Kelly, he does this type of racing. Talking to him about it briefly is what peaked my interest. This is a corner of our hobby that doesn’t get much attention from the mainstream crowd which is unfortunate because after the war many of our returning young men pursued hill climbing as a means of recreation.

Comment

Before TV, hill climbs and racing were a way for a car manufacturer to promote their products.
        If they won, they would get a good write-up and hence a lot of PR

Comment

Ron Kelley with his truck and his hill climbing speedster:
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.
          Alaskan A's
          Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
          Model A Ford Club of America
          Model A Restorers Club
          Antique Automobile Club of America
          Mullins Owners Club

Comment

We Hold an annual hill climb and as it looked like the most recent one might be the last, I thought that I'd better enter my speedster in the event .It has an open prop shaft and the radius arms have to resist the rotational forces of the diff. Despite 10,000 miles over some very rugged roads (or perhaps because of?) when I dropped the clutch on the start line the car did some very strange things with the brakes coming on then off again and some strange noises almost like tyre squeal each time I changed gear.
            Unfortunately the fingers at the end of the radius arms, (later type) where they bolt to the backing plate had broken/cracked, and that was the end of my competitive efforts. The radius arms had been seam welded, but after repairing the breaks a strengthening plate was added too.
            Ideally an arm should be bolted to the centre of the diff and extend forwards to the cross member, designed to stop the diff rotating, but my fuel tank is under the floor at the rear and has a tunnel over the prop shaft and this precludes fitting an arm from the centre of the diff. The only photo taken is of me waiting in line for the first practice run.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            Last edited by wensum; 12-15-2017, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Those are great looking cars Wensum.

Comment

Originally posted by Curly View Post
                Those are great looking cars Wensum.
                Thanks Curly, Our branch of the New Zealand Vintage Car Club tends to attract/cater for British & European cars. The cars behind my Model A are: Jaguar engined Bugatti Type 35, A Sunbeam 20.9, a Riley 9 tourer and a Buckler

Comment

That blue car behind yours (Type 35?) is just stunning!

Comment

Originally posted by Curly View Post
                    That blue car behind yours (Type 35?) is just stunning!
                    Yes, the Bugatti is a genuine type 35 and a historic racing car in NZ raced by Ron Roycroft and with a Jaguar motor, still competitive in the '50's. His son, Terry now competes in it and used the original Bugatti motor for a few years, but it was too valuable and fragile, so he converted it back to the Jaguar engine for reliability and to be more competitive
                    Last edited by wensum; 12-16-2017, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Denis4x4
                      Geneology of an A Engine
                      by Denis4x4
                      As an old hot rodder, I never consider a car is ever finished. To that point, here are the modifications that I've made to the A engine in my roadster over a 26 year period.

The engine in my avatar was built in May of 1931 and rebuilt in August of 1992. At the 2015 Speedster Reunion, this engine in my Zipper roadster registered 60HP @ 3500 RPM's at the rear wheels. It's been in and...
                      05-08-2018, 11:33 AM
                    • Terry, NJ
                      My Ideal engine !
                      by Terry, NJ
                      This is not for the old timers who know and have experience with these things, but for the new comers who have some machines and the know how to use them and want/need a little more hp under the hood to keep up with traffic, First, The head! The 5.5 heads coming from Snyders are an excellent first step. Even the 6.0 seems to be ok. For a little over $300 this should be the first consideration. Next,...
                      10-16-2018, 10:34 AM
                    • dmdeaton
                      Secrets of Speed Society
                      by dmdeaton
                      On my way to Tennessee for work yesterday I stopped by and met Charlie. He is in my backyard here in Cincinnati. Since I have the roadster now I have the hankering to build a motor and put some period speed in it. I am keeping the roadster stock and going to look for a project car to put this motor in. Anyone on here play with speed parts?...
                      Association with Journal dedicated to Vintage Ford performance, parts, racing and touring as found in the past and present.
                      10-24-2017, 09:25 PM
                    • Ray Horton
                      A consideration on restoration
                      by Ray Horton
                      "If the driveline on the A is properly restored to factory specs (keep in mind I'm not talking Judging Standards but Ford original specs for fit) it is a VERY reliable car."

This was a comment from a knowledgeable professional restorer, Kevin in NJ, and though I have heard similar comments before, this one caught my attention for the distinction drawn between Judging Standards...
                      12-27-2017, 09:39 PM
                    • Jim Baskin III
                      Future of Auto Restoration
                      by Jim Baskin III
                      Took the Model A to a show at Penn College of Williamsport Pennsylvania.They have a 2 and 4 year auto restoration degree.The only one on the east coast.We as a club got to tour the Restoration shop.The tour was fascinating and I got to meet the students that are enrolled.They are Model T and Model A nuts,now I'm talking about 18-22 year olds.They have put together 1 stationary Model T and 2 stationary...
                      04-09-2018, 09:05 AM
                    • George Miller
                      Rebuilding a model A engine
                      by George Miller
                      I do not want to get into bashing people. So I,m going to say the model A engine is one of the hardiest to get right when rebuilding them. You could do 2 chev small blocks or Ford small block to 1 model A engine, that is if you do it right. Every one always says how simple they are. But they are not simple to get right....
                      01-22-2018, 03:25 PM
                    • Ronnieroadster
                      Flathead Altered comes back to life
                      by Ronnieroadster
                      Hi everyone heres a short 32 second video of our restored drag altered running shes been sitting for many years under cover. Were taking the car to the Hot Rod fall out in CT next month just for display. Some engine specs the cam is a Potvin 425 eliminator heads are Grancor the Strombergs are 48's ignition is an original Vetex bore 3-3/8 stroke 4-1/8. Drivetrain early Ford side shift trans using 2nd...
                      09-14-2018, 09:13 PM
                    • old victoria
                      model a ford midjet race car
                      by old victoria
                      know anything about this car??
                      This gallery has 5 photos.
                      08-04-2018, 04:59 PM
                    • Chevmn56
                      Model A Busines
                      by Chevmn56
                      Well just placed another order for Model A Parts with Berts....in talking to the owner about getting some stuff done by him he stated that his shop is booked clear till October and he also had a 1/4 million in engine rebuilds to do.... my order was behind the other 130 orders place Sunday and Monday WOW The A's are popular!!!!!
                      05-01-2018, 01:27 PM
                    • pAAt
                      Bonus A
                      by pAAt
                      Just a thought................ I have a clear title for a 28 Pu. Pretty nice box, cabs, and stuff I would donate. Can't bring myself to selling it, so what about a VFF garage/shed where people could get together and complete A's. We could give/sell??? them to the handicaps, Veterans, or anyone who is deserving. ??????
                      11-03-2017, 01:12 AM
                    Working...
                    X