Leaky Gas Shutoff Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky Gas Shutoff Repair

Is it possible to fix a leaky under tank shutoff while it is still in the car? I tried to remove mine, but it feels like it will take the threads with it if I remove it. Carb is leaking from time to time even after running the car out of gas by shutting off the valve.

My other option is to put an after market valve in the fuel line inside the engine compartment. If I end up doing this, does this look like an ok option? https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

rebuilt my original 3 times before going modern.wife could not go into garage with even a few drops leaking. do a search on a dirty leg valve for model A

Comment

Here is a link to Vince's Ford Garage informational site of the dirty leg FYI. The leg is for real bad tanks so this may not be for you.
      http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/kellyshutoff.htm

Many folks have used an aftermarket valve like you showed in the link, so If you don't mind the look of it go for it. That being said it is important to use the screen that goes on top of the original style valve to stop the junk, and even if it is there i recommend replacing it with a new one. I would seriously consider trying to get the old valve out. you may also have an issue with the carburetor float valve not sealing. If your running a glass fuel bowl i would use the filter that goes inside of it as another preventative.
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        i have used the replacement tank valve from the suppliers along with the viton tip float valve. this combo has always worked for me

Tom also gives great advice below

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        If you look into the suppliers catalogues they sell a similar valve as you shown

Both the tank valve and carb needle and seat leaked on my 29 Tudor when I bought it. I lapped them both with toothpaste, and both are still holding perfectly. My tank valve was also very tight, but it finally came out. The secret is to be sure you don't put side pressure on the valve while trying to remove it. Try to use two wrenches 180* apart, so all the twisting torque is straight up on the valve, and not sideways, which would be more likely to snap the threads off.

Comment

Woody,
        Your post gave me the idea to write up the fuel filtering thread i posted in the tech forum.
        Thank You
        3 ~ Tudor's
        Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I plan on cleaning out the ol' float valve, but know I'm going to need to do something about that shutoff too.

Comment

• Big hammer
            Big hammer commented
            Editing a comment
            I lapped my gas valve using valve lapping compound, used a slow turning cordless drill. When two parts stick together and hard to get apart you have a good seal. You can see you progress like lapping engine valves, clean well with carb cleaner and lub with grease. Mine gas valve turn freely and shuts off 100% now!

Related Topics

Collapse

• DougInAustin
          fuel shut off valve repair kit- any luck?
          by DougInAustin
          Hello all-

I purchased the shut off valve repair kit (part #13270) to address a fuel leak in my Model A. A quick note to those of you new to Model As trying to diagnose the source of a gas drip leak- if the fuel is still leaking from your Model A in the garage (you can smell the gas) a few days after you shut the valve and parked the car, it's most likely the valve under the gas tank...
          01-06-2018, 02:18 PM
        • Steve Plucker
          Fuel shut-off valve
          by Steve Plucker
          I know that the tapered inside part of the fuel shut-off valve should just pull right out of the casing (have everything removed to do so). But the darn thing will not come out. I can move it back and fourth.

It is more than likely wore out within to remove the tapered part.

Is there a secret that I am unaware of?

Thanks.

Pluck
          07-26-2019, 07:08 PM
        • Bill in NJ
          Fuel valve replacement
          by Bill in NJ
          I am replacing the fuel valve in my gas tank and am wondering if I should put any thing on the threads to prevent leaking ?? As always thank you in advance !!
          06-22-2019, 11:56 AM
        • Mickey
          Update...Gas shutoff valve replacement
          by Mickey
          Background: Late '31 CCPU indented firewall
          I discovered when replacing a carb. that the gas shutoff valve leaks a little after it is closed so I am replacing it. I have the old valve off and after a little flushing to clean out the pipe I've installed the new grommet and am ready to put on the new valve. Question. How much need is there to hold/support the tank outlet pipe when tightening the...
          05-01-2018, 10:08 AM
        • Bill in NJ
          gas tank fuel filter
          by Bill in NJ
          I have never changed one in 50 years and was thinking about replacing one my coupe. If you have any tips I would like to here them .thanks in advance....
          12-28-2018, 08:07 PM
        • Art Ebeling
          gas valve rebuild
          by Art Ebeling
          It's a rainy day so I was going thru a box of parts for my 31 Victoria and found the original gas shut off valve. The valve is stuck in the open position and I can't budge by by hand. I can loosen the handle and the bigger nut under the handle. How are these rebuilt. ?...
          10-22-2017, 02:51 PM
        • Mickey
          Followup on elect. gas shutoff valve install
          by Mickey
          Just following up on installing an elect. shutoff valve: https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...shut-off-valve

Got the valve installed using the "A" option in the installation instructions. One wire to the black wire terminal on the coil and one wire to ground. With an electric cutout switch already installed everything works fine. I'm not on the road right now but fuel flow...
          08-15-2018, 03:21 PM
        • wrndln
          Rebuilding fuel shutoff valve
          by wrndln
          I have some 28/29 fuel shutoff valves that look decent. I took one apart and the tapered part looks pretty good. However it has some very small scratches on it. Looking into the brass valve body also shows some very small scratches. It seems that valve grinding compound would be a little too course, but maybe it is OK to use. Is there something less abrasive to use that would remove the small...
          08-06-2018, 05:17 PM
        • DougInAustin
          Model A valve guide insert - home rigged tool
          by DougInAustin
          Hi all- just a disclaimer, I am doing my first Model A valve project ever!

I have read through a lot of forum posts and other online content about INSERTING Model A split valve guides back in the block. I haven't tried the freeze trick yet and oiling the inside and out is a given to help with installation. Also good advice from many to keep the split valve guides as pairs always, and...
          03-22-2020, 08:39 PM
        Working...
        X