Here's one for da books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's one for da books

As some of you know, I have been rebuilding Zenith carburetors for club members and making up a club emergency parts stash. Well, for a week now, I have had a Zenith that has been giving me fits with all the dimensions correct, install it and it leaks like a sieve. There was nothing I did that would make the float close the valve.

Today the car came back to me with the club back-up carb and a new float, and valve for it. So, I set up the newest parts, install it, it leaked! Charlie suggested changing the parts out with a spare lower I have, so swapped parts, installed the bowl, DRY!

Ok, so I take a look at the original one, seems to be the same, except there is a pronounced lip along the casting seam inside the bowl. So, I get out the dremel and remove a bit of bowl interior, replace the working parts, reinstall on the car, NO LEAKS!

So, IF you have a leak you can't figure, try removing enough interior metal to allow the float to move freely up and down to close off the supply of fuel.
    Last edited by DaWizard; 12-13-2017, 09:08 PM.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Did it have a replacement float? I know Renner's Corner do not have floats for a B carburetor because the replacements recently did not fit.

Comment

• DaWizard
      DaWizard commented
      Editing a comment
      Dennis, I tried 3 different floats, 2 originals, 1 aftermarket.

Wow that's weird.. Thanks for the tip

I wonder if it was an 80 year old defect
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• DaWizard
      DaWizard commented
      Editing a comment
      Mitch, I am thinking it was since there was no rust or buildup of any kind in the bowl, just the casting seam.

Related Topics

Collapse

• tchbil
    Marvel carb
    by tchbil
    Is there anywhere you can get Marvel repair parts or is it a DIY thing ?
    12-09-2018, 03:56 PM
  • carolinamudwalker
    Zenith on fire
    by carolinamudwalker
    Club member had an engine catch fire on the way home. Caused damage to the hood but otherwise car is ok. No one knows what ignited the gas. Gas leaks from the Zenith carb are so common that some of us tend to ignore them. Just took mine apart again, lost count how many times. I have the proverbial 1" measurement on the float, flow tested jets, all new gaskets ect. and still have a slight weep...
    08-20-2018, 08:39 AM
  • Big guy
    Zenith carb issue, help!!
    by Big guy
    Ok so I am now officially crazy! My zenith A carb (1929) is the most stubborn carb I have ever seen. I have read so many threads and links from this site and reached out to respected members via PM about this damn thing. I cannot stop the thing from flooding and puking out the intake (before ever trying to start it). I had issues going to Dearborn and decided that I would start fresh with timing...
    08-27-2019, 01:40 PM
  • Leon
    Model B carburetor bodies
    by Leon
    Is there a difference between the lower half of the B1 and B2 carburetors. I have both the B1 and the B2 carburetors and both are apart. Unfortunately I did not label. the lower bodies as either B1 or B2. So when I reassemble the carburetors, does it make a difference as to how I match them up? If there is a difference between the lower half of the bodies, what is the difference ?
    11-13-2018, 02:10 PM
  • gpowers
    Carburetor tuning
    by gpowers
    I am having similar problems with my Tillotson as well. When I bought the car it would idle ok but sputtered and died once I got it up off idle. Being a new Model a owner, I did a lot of looking online and felt comfortable taking it apart. Once apart, it had a little sediment in the float bowl but otherwise I thought it looked good. I cleaned it up and put it back together but it still had the same...
    03-01-2019, 08:14 AM
  • canadian
    Float.
    by canadian
    would anyone have image and instructions for Zenith Float Adjustments from Mr Andrews book? appreciate it if possible. Thanks
    06-10-2019, 11:45 AM
  • Bill CNC
    Yet Another Zenith Float Question
    by Bill CNC
    Does anyone return these bad flat valves that don't work from the get-go? I've rebuilt 4 Zenith's and I have 6 float valves that are nothing but pretty brass fishing weight's. Yes, I have gone over them as per Tom Endy's write-up. They work for a few hours then flood. I just cleaned out my gas tank and installed a new in tank filter. New paper filter in the glass bowl and new filters at the carb inlet...
    01-03-2020, 02:12 PM
  • Keith True
    Odd carb problem solved
    by Keith True
    I found the cause of the odd problem of the carb gushing gas when the gas was turned on,then stopping when the float valve hit home.I was studying on the carb top when I realized there was a lead BB squished into the air passage between the bowl and the middle chamber,or whatever you would call it.I had seen that in there,it was the only new plug in the carb.That ain't supposed to be there,the bowl...
    06-29-2018, 05:42 PM
  • Jackc
    Zenith jet position?
    by Jackc
    I am installing Renner's jets into my Zenith. When looking at the main and cap jets installed, the tops of the jets are not even close to being the same height.
    According to the "red book", they should be even across them and sitting in the smallest part of the venturi. It also says to use washers to adjust them, this would need a lot if washers to get it anywhere close. Is there...
    11-30-2019, 03:31 PM
  • Soapy
    Zenith Carburetor Components Interchangability
    by Soapy
    How interchangeable are the parts on Zenith Carburetors? I know that the parts sellers lump the jets, gaskets, needles and all, but it would be nice if I had the correct appearing one for my late 1930 coupe. Right now, I have a really nice running Zenith 1 on it. I also have a nice Zenith 2 with the raised letters, but both are for older cars. I do have a nice bowl for a Zenith 2 with the recessed...
    07-05-2019, 01:28 PM
Working...
X