what is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is this?

Found this in my barn, not sure what year or even if it's a Ford. HELP!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Reckon its a special coupe..28/29..or a regular coupe somebody was whittling on..

Comment

• BILL WILLIAMSON
      BILL WILLIAMSON commented
      Editing a comment
      It's for SURE a '29 Special Coupe, with some wood parts removed. The rear area was almost ENTIRELY built of WOOD. These bodies are QUITE RARE!
      Moldings around the bottom of Vinyl top covering, are virtually IMPOSSIBLE to find. One Guy cut off the entire roof & welded in one from a '29 Standard Coupe, which is virtually ALL STEEL. BUT, then, it is no longer a "SPECIAL COUPE"---It just became a PLAIN Old Standard Coupe, like Vermin.
      Bill W.
      Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 12-10-2017, 09:38 PM.

I agree. Rod
    Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

Nice find, How long has it been hiding?

Welcome!
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by CM2 View Post
        Reckon its a special coupe..28/29..or a regular coupe somebody was whittling on..
        that lower nailer band and cover are truly unobtainium,it fits sport coupes as well...my neighbor has a '28 special coupe..

Comment

Don't mess with that molding if you can avoid it. They are very delicate, come in two pieces, are nearly impossible to remove without damage unless you have divine intervention, and you may be old and gray before you ever find another usable set.

Comment

Agree it is a Special Coupe body. The groove behind the quarter window takes a molding that is unique to the Special Coupes. The belt rail molding was used on the 1928/9 Sport, Business and Special Coupe bodies. You are more likely to locate a belt rail molding than the quarter window molding pieces. Tony Raffin was reproducing the belt moldings a while ago but is no longer doing them. Some guys are using extruded aluminum for the belt rail molding.
            Is there a number stamped into the top of the front body cross member?
            Dave

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Pgbender
              Newbie A owner
              by Pgbender
              Title says 30, but has indented firewall for fuel shutoff and “wide” bed with metal over wood. Been updating some stuff since dragging out of barn with 4 flat tires.
              This thing is a Driver, and a blast to do so...
              06-22-2018, 10:15 PM
            • devon11
              Found a couple original 1940s era Ford bumpers...
              by devon11
              Hi, I found a couple original 1940s era Ford bumpers when I was cleaning out my barn. I just put them up on ebay today (7/17/18). A friend said to mention this on a Ford Forum so people who actually know and collect will know they are available. Thanks. - Devon
              07-17-2018, 02:16 PM
            • DaWizard
              Who knows about the Sport Coupe?
              by DaWizard
              Now, when I was younger, my first A was a '30 Sport Coupe, but all I really remember about it was it had some vinyl seat cover material for a roof.

Today I was working on an Aug '28 Sport Coupe and noticed something I had not remembered about my first one. It seems that the "Special Coupe" wasn't the only model to have a removable beltline. Can any of you out there in Model
              01-05-2018, 11:36 PM
            • sunnyorm
              If we build them, will they come?
              by sunnyorm
              Barn find, of course, has become a catch all for seemingly lost vintage vehicles, right? wouldn't it be nice in an era of disappearing barns, if when someone built a new one, more barn finds "would come"?
              08-01-2018, 07:59 PM
            • topher5150
              new guy
              by topher5150
              Hey all my name is Kris. I've been around old cars all my life, helping work on my dads cars, going to every car show we could, and because of that it's always been my dream to build a hot rod. So I bought my first piece of vintage tin last year a 1947 Ford Super Deluxe Coupe. The plan is a simple old school shoestring budget hot rod, lowered, fat whitewalls, 302/C4, 8.8" etc...with as many original...
              03-19-2018, 09:59 AM
            • pAAt
              Barn Dust
              by pAAt
              Price is per pail. Thanks...
              03-11-2018, 02:28 PM
            • mshmodela
              Barn
              by mshmodela
              Appears the doors on the old barn are not getting opened as much as before --might be due to the new Farmer who build a nice new barn. Great job Mitch!
              08-25-2017, 08:37 AM
            • Larry Jenkins
              My meaning of a word.
              by Larry Jenkins
              Last night, while writing a comment in the **** **** site, I mentioned that Mitch had left the **** **** and established VFF. I also tried to convince Barn readers to visit Mitch's relatively new site. During this attempt, I described Mitch as "prolific" and controversial."

Before any one gets their panties in a bunch, my choice of words were strictly complementary. ...
              02-04-2018, 04:28 PM
            • George Miller
              Barn find my new project 1931 Roadster
              by George Miller
              Barn find to bad the barn burned down with the car in it....
              07-18-2018, 10:34 PM
            • Rowdy
              29 Special Coupe Roof
              by Rowdy
              Is the roof panel above the door norrower or wider than the panel above the door than that of a tudor? Looking for these panels for my Dads special coupe and a friend called me and the right side he bought for his tudor is narrower than what he needs. Hoping it is the right width for the special coupe and I can trade him for the one I have for a tudor. For some reason I was thinking the one for the...
              09-26-2017, 01:21 PM
            Working...
            X