Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1928 Sport Coupe after picture

Darlington SC track 017.JPG

I lost the before picture, but it was a solid car that I first saw in 1960. A friend had it in northern much. He never got it done. I got it from his widow in 2000 then finshed it that year. We drove it 26,000 miles with no trouble. It was a real nice car one of my best. The funny thing is it had 1/8 frame sag on the passer side of the car by the rear motor mount. It was good on the driver side. It had the engine it was born with. I used every original part that I could. Which was most of the parts. No rust on this car. It was a easy one.

I think this is the last picture I have of the Model A's that I done. The rest were lost in a computer crash.
    Last edited by George Miller; 12-07-2017, 01:50 PM.

Comment

What causes frame sag?

Comment

• DaWizard
        DaWizard commented
        Editing a comment
        Mostly age and abuse. Think about all the years the cars were driven on non-paved roads and seriously abused, and the major pressure point is the rear motor mount. This is the weak spot because of the thrust against it to propel the car, and with the majority of the engine weight on it, that is where it sags.

• George Miller
        George Miller commented
        Editing a comment
        To add to DaWizard said which I agree. Most of the time it is the driver side. I think he was driving alone to work all the time on those washed out roads. I'm thinking maybe this Guys wife was kind of heavy, and she went along a lot. But maybe he just hit a real bad spot in the road on that side.

• George Miller
        George Miller commented
        Editing a comment
        Also most model A's have frame sag or had it. I have seen a lot of so called resorted A's that have frame sag. You can tell by how the hood fits.

• Sunnybrook Farm
        Sunnybrook Farm commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess that once one sags there will be a weak spot, even if put back right it may sag again. The hope would be that modern roads are usually smooth I guess. My off road tudor may sag everywhere as I run it over some rough roads probably like what some were like in the old days.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Gary Karr
      1928 Business Coupe on EBay
      by Gary Karr
      If anyone is looking for a really nice and fairly rare Model A, check out this 1928 Business Coupe on Ebay:
      1928 Ford Model A
      ( 123436768975 )
      I have seen the car and inspected it a couple of times. It would make a wonderful driver as is or an easy redo for a fine point car. The sheet metal on this car is unbelievable and so many of the rare early parts are there. There is a...
      10-22-2018, 12:46 PM
    • Ray Horton
      UPDATE on my coupe engine rebuild -it runs!
      by Ray Horton
      Finally got my overheating coupe engine reassembled and completed the installation today, including all the finishing touches. There were no leftover parts, and it started on the third turn. It sounds great. The new Brassworks radiator looks beautiful, with only one small hiccup: the lower pass. side shell bracket did not line up with my original shell. The other three mounting screws were right in...
      08-24-2017, 06:59 PM
    • Dennis
      Dry engine a bad thing?
      by Dennis
      Recently I noticed a squeaking sound when my car was idling. I took the belt off and started it up, no difference. It would go away when I revved it up a little bit. Got to be embarrassing at a stop light and the squeak was louder than the engine idling. I've done a ton of work on the engine recently also and the first thought was I hope the damn thing isn't getting ready to seize up. Everything...
      03-08-2018, 03:42 AM
    • Tom Wesenberg
      Easy Bent Frame Check for 1928 Model A
      by Tom Wesenberg
      Since my 1928 is stock with the solid front motor mount and the "hook" over the center crossmember, it makes it easy to check for a bent frame. The frames like to sag at the rear motor mounts, and this will make the tail end of the tranny go lower. My hook is 3/8" to 1/2" over the lip of the crossmember, so I know my frame is straight.

09-22-2018, 10:50 AM
    • Leo
      Model A's In Commercial's and The Movies?
      by Leo
      I was in the car wash yesterday and noticed a guy with a nice mid 80's Mercedes coupe. We struck up a conversation about the car and he said that he was on his way to a commercial shoot in NYC. He went on to say that he has this car registered with an agency that supplies vehicles to photographers who want them for commercials. He also told me that the typical fee for using his car was $1000 for a...
      12-04-2018, 08:47 AM
    • Jordan
      My new Model A, Jethro
      by Jordan
      A few months ago I posted a thread saying I was thinking of buying another car, and it was a rusty but solid car. I chose to not buy the car because of tax season and uncertainty. I have always wanted a "rusty" car that I could use for touring. That was because of a car I saw when I was very young at the 2001 Texas Tour in College Station. The car's name was Jethro.

I often...
      06-26-2019, 10:30 AM
    • Keith True
      Old keychain picture viewers
      by Keith True
      In the 70's we used to have vendors set up at car shows that would take a picture of your car,and set it in a little peep sight.I have one used as a key chain in my 35,and would like to have them made for my A's.I don't know how to go about finding who,if anybody still does it,because I really don't know what they are called.
      06-09-2019, 06:30 PM
    • Steve Plucker
      Frame tollerances...to strighten or not to strighten...
      by Steve Plucker
      I have just finished the disassembly of my wife's, yes my wife, July 1928 Open Cab Pickup chassis.

The frame looks very decent after 90 + years.

Some issues with the rear running board brackets and the front cross member but can be fixed.

So here are the major issues, if in fact they are major issues at all:

All measurements taken in a crossways...
      11-22-2018, 09:38 PM
    Working...
    X