light switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• light switch

I have a light switch that I was told was a replated original. When I compare it to one I already have I notice the contacts are flatter, not rounded and the contact part does not have an spring under it so it rattles around where the other has spring tension holding the contacts tight. Can you guys tell by the picture if this is an original and what about that spring tension?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Here is a picture of the switch I already had with the rounder contacts and spring holding the contacts tight. Also, The questionable switch in my first post is too big around to fit into the column without some filing.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

If there is no spring behind the contacts, I don't think it will work reliably. I compared the import switch to Brattons US made switch. The import was about 1/4 inch shorter overall and the bale would not engage it to secure it to the steering box.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin View Post
        If there is no spring behind the contacts, I don't think it will work reliably. I compared the import switch to Brattons US made switch. The import was about 1/4 inch shorter overall and the bale would not engage it to secure it to the steering box.
        The switch body was made longer during Model A production. The Standards book might give the date of the change. I have posted pictures recently.

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          I had a slew of switch pictures repo VS original but they were lost from the photo bucket debacle

Related Topics

Collapse

• Harryjames
        Model A light switch installation and adjustments
        by Harryjames
        Good Morning Everyone and greetings from Sioux Falls South Dakota. I would like to ask for some advice about fitting a new light switch on a 1929 Model A Tudor. The car came t me from a friend with a request for help. The old switch was laying in pieces at the bottom of the steering column and the car has the two light system. I looked at the parts and realized that the little C clip was missing and...
        08-08-2020, 10:44 AM
      • merjohn
        Light Switch Contacts
        by merjohn
        The light switch that is on our 31 truck has 4 contact points. The new wiring harness has 3 groups of 3 contacts. Is this normal?...
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        07-22-2018, 09:07 PM
      • Chevmn56
        Most Agravating Thing to Work on On the Model A
        by Chevmn56
        Hey Guys I know i dont have the experience or knowledge that you guys have, but man i will say that i think the Model A light switch has been the worst to work on. After messing with the dam thing for 4hrs (im not a quitter) i finally gave up and called Berts. Steve took about 5 minutes to straighten me out and get me on the right road, i felt like a complete bone head.

In trying to install...
        05-24-2018, 11:22 AM
      • Tom Wesenberg
        Pictures of Fluted and Twolite Switch Contact Plates
        by Tom Wesenberg
        I finally found my pictures of the two main switch plates used on Model A's. I don't have a picture of the switch used with early 28's, and have only seen one of them about 20 years ago. Maybe someone has a picture to fill that one in. The blue background is the 4 contacts switch used with FLUTED headlamps with 3 positions, and the lower left in the picture just shows an extra contacts part I had....
        This gallery has 2 photos.
        11-04-2017, 10:47 AM
      • Tom Rode
        Light switch interference
        by Tom Rode
        I have run into another "issue" with the A, I turn on the headlights and first time I make a turn the switch moves to the off position with the turning of the wheel. Does not move from off with additional turns though. Thinking there is some kind of bushing of something that may just need lubrication. Is there any adjustment here, of should I just try to get some light oil around the...
        11-09-2019, 07:53 AM
      • Jamey E
        Need help with brake light switch
        by Jamey E
        I’m in need of some assistance. Tudor’s brake light doesn’t work. Unhooked the wires from the switch & touched them together & it works. Thought switch was bad. Bought new switch, same problem. Am I missing something or should I try something different??
        08-02-2019, 09:33 PM
      • frankn
        light switch body
        by frankn
        Has anyone cut the lower half of light switch to get it over wire instead of taking all your wiring loose and starting over Would JB weld it back together after getting it put on
        07-02-2020, 09:28 PM
      • canadian
        switch
        by canadian
        Found this on a piece of Floor Board I had hoarded away. Brake light switch . what is it? aftermarket? Farmer/Fisherman Fix? 1929 Canadian Fordor....
        This gallery has 3 photos.
        06-03-2020, 05:09 PM
      • Pgbender
        Light switch
        by Pgbender
        Re wiring my truck, the light switch was packed full of grease, worked fine.
        Supposed to be or just a result of being 90 years old?
        01-14-2020, 07:05 PM
      • DaWizard
        Heres one for ya.
        by DaWizard
        For the last few weeks I have been having a small problem with the light switch on the bottom of the steering column and yesterday I decided it was time to attack it.

So, I remove the switch, start to clean it up, and remove the switch plate and disassemble the whole thing. Well, very little oil between the tang plate and insulating plate, but that is all. So, I get out the test light
        10-18-2017, 12:39 PM
      Working...
      X