Valve cover bolts- torque???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve cover bolts- torque???

Les' book says 20 ft. Pounds. Is that correct. Seems a little heavy for such small bolts.
    http://www.turnbophotography.com

I use a box wrench and common sense, so if the gasket is cork, the torque is less than a paper gasket. I've never measured my torque because common sense works better.

Comment

I agree Tom but as I'm new to the Model A better safe than sorry. Now if it was a 57' Chevy I'd have no question.

Comment

If I was going to put a torque spec on them it would be about 15lbs. But I "choke up" on a 3/8" ratchet and let my wrist set the tightness or I use a speed handle to tighten them.

Comment

It should be treated the same as a pan gasket.

i think were talking inch pounds here and not FT.

That’s another one for the error list
          3 ~ Tudor's
          Henry Ford said
          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

It's page 134, table 1-5 "Valve chamber cover bolts"

Comment

Thanks Mickey
              I made a copy of your post on the errors thread, for when i finalize it
              3 ~ Tudor's
              Henry Ford said
              "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Use a short handle box wrench, and just tighten the bolt. Ford did not use torque specs. There was a different wrench for each application, and the handle was sized to match how tight the fastener should be. That is why the rod nuts are 21/32". Special wrench for each job. Common sense is the key factor here.
                Bill
                http://www.brauchauto.com/
                Eastern Connecticut

Comment

Clean bolts, finger tight plus 1/4 turn. A slippery floor may cause over tightening.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• tbirdtbird
                    Torque tables
                    by tbirdtbird
                    From time to time a discussion of Henry not having torque specs arises.

At some later point, engineers derived torque values based on the diameter and grade of the bolts/nuts.
                    While the current grading system was not in use in Henry's day, IMO his fasteners were at least grade 5. Else, we would not be able to re-use so many bolts, think of the FW mounting bolts and the FW housing...
                    10-25-2018, 10:28 PM
                  • plyfor
                    Brumfield 5.9 head
                    by plyfor
                    A couple of questions:
                    Should the head be torqued to 60 '#, not 55 ?
                    Also, points set at what gap for best performance ?
                    12-30-2017, 08:55 PM
                  • Great Lakes Greg
                    Torque tube question
                    by Great Lakes Greg
                    I bolted the torque tube to the banjo, and no joke, all six of the bolts have the safety wire holes facing directly into the tube. I backed them off a quarter turn to get the wire through, but I am increasingly nervous with that remedy. Any ideas? Maybe double up gaskets, or use real thin washers, or what?...
                    04-11-2020, 11:25 AM
                  • hudson32700
                    Fastener torque
                    by hudson32700
                    How did Ford determine how tight a fastener should be before the torque wrench was invented?
                    07-05-2020, 06:25 PM
                  • thom
                    blew a gasket
                    by thom
                    We've been blessed with a mild winter here in western NC so we have been able to put some miles on our '28 Coupe. A few days ago however, it blew a head gasket, apparently between cylinders # 1 & 2. I replaced the head not long ago with a resurfaced, used one, but did not use a torque wrench when replacing it. I did retighten it several times after the first start-up. This time I will use a torque...
                    03-24-2020, 07:32 PM
                  • tbirdtbird
                    Torque wrenches or not
                    by tbirdtbird
                    Just a useless tidbit.
                    There is often discussion that Ford did not use torque wrenches.
                    I just stumbled onto an assembly line video of '36 Chebbies that showed the workers using what appeared to be a torque limiting wrench, almost similar to today's clicker type wrenches. It looked like when the worker got to the specified torque there was like a clutch that released and the wrench would...
                    02-27-2019, 10:30 PM
                  • KenCoupe
                    Torque wheel lug nuts?
                    by KenCoupe
                    Does anyone torque their wheel lug nuts, and if so what do you torque them to? I have always used the hand crank and tightened them to my grunt. But I am curious what other people do. I did a search of the forum, but couldn't find anything about it.
                    05-15-2018, 12:20 AM
                  • fmr187
                    torque tube to rear end gasket
                    by fmr187
                    The torque tube gasket to the rear end has a slot in one spot. Why? I can see nothing for the slot to fit over. Am I missing something? And does it matter which way that gasket is put on?
                    09-07-2019, 05:27 PM
                  • Mitch
                    Listing errors contained in the Les Andrews books
                    by Mitch
                    Let me start out by saying that this is not a bashing party, but a slight correction of info.The VFF is all about providing accurate repair and technical information to it's membership. If something is out there that is in error we will do our best to correct it for the good of all. Case in point is the specification thread in our chassis forum. We saw many errors in it and then made our own corrections....
                    11-27-2017, 11:15 PM
                  • WayneT
                    Manifold Torque
                    by WayneT
                    I just bought new manifolds off of Brattons and on page 63 of their catalog there is a note to install the two bolts that bolt the two manifolds together LOOSE, then torque the 4 manifold bolts to 25 to 30 pounds then finish tightening the two bolts that hold the manifolds together. Less Andrews says 45 pounds so I called Brattons and they say 25 to 30 so you do not snap the ears off the manifolds....
                    02-26-2018, 08:56 AM
                  Working...
                  X