Bearing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearing question

My mains on the block side have what looks like drilled 'ports' for babbit to fill..what is the purpose of drilling these "ports"? is it to pin the babbit?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

I've never seen them drilled all the way thru like that. Usually there are a few shallow drill holes that the babbitt fills when being poured, to help anchor it and prevent the bearing from spinning. But what you show would accomplish the same thing

Comment

CM2, WELCOME to the VFF!!!
      You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

I've had a few people look at it and they said the same thing.The assembler before me also used a hard clear plastic type glaze at the rear main on the block and cap prior to shimming,almost like a thin "leveling course".He also vented the valve cover with a 3/8th" road draft tube. Imagine it was all for rear main seal protection.stock head,reground cam b grind, standard crank with balanced b flywheel ,a nice well built stock engine I got on the 'blind' so I tore it down to check it...as usual,it turned out I didn't have too..

Comment

Originally posted by CM2 View Post

My mains on the block side have what looks like drilled 'ports' for babbit to fill..what is the purpose of drilling these "ports"? is it to pin the babbit?

The bearing is clearly not peened, or just a bad job. The drillings are no more, then an attempt to create four anchor holes that hold the babbitt bearing in the block.

But in reality, where the babbitt meets the back of the bearings, from any anchor, with out peening, the anchor babbitt will break off the shell.

If a bearing moves in its shell, it will crack loose, and break, and makes no difference how many holes you drill.

So if you don't peen, the crank will do it for you, and it will develop hair line cracks in the shell, on the back side, and that is when the small chunks start breaking out.

That is also why the rear thrust will break loose. The babbitt thrust, with out peening, is just hanging in mid air, on a Model A.

On Model B's, and early V-8's, Ford changed that.

Herm.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Greynomad
            B engine crankshaft and insert bearings
            by Greynomad
            I am reaching out to members in the US because it is a very different market over there with stuff available that would be very difficult or impossible to find here. First, some background:
            One of my cars has a B engine fitted which runs beautifully. It is my favourite and I think the counterweighted crankshaft is a large part of that. The bearings have inserts. I do not see inserts listed for...
            05-30-2020, 10:53 PM
          • DaWizard
            Fresh engine with a knock.
            by DaWizard
            Well, what started out as a drop the pan and adjust the rear main cap has come to a screeching halt.

Sorry I didn't take any pictures today, but if I remember to, I will try to get a few shots tomorrow.

So, to explain the reason for stopping, and the following discoveries, please read on.....

After dropping the pan and because there was a complaint of loud noises...
            04-30-2019, 10:01 PM
          • CM2
            Adjusting Babbit Crankshaft Main and Rod Bearings
            by CM2
            Note the info corrections to this article starting on post # 30

The following topic covers adjusting the Crankshaft Main Bearing and Connecting Rod Bearing for babbit bearings. This should be a part of your routine maintenance on your babbit engine,performed once every ten thousand miles to insure full bearing life.The following will demonstrate the measurement method using both plastigage...
            01-15-2018, 06:31 PM
          • Jerry Kzoo
            Center Main
            by Jerry Kzoo
            Guys,
            I was having an issue with a Babbitt motor and thought I would investigate since we are in the middle of stay at home orders. It would have a knock at start up after sitting for a month that went away after 30 seconds or so. When I took it all apart the center main had a lot of wear on it leaving a larger than wanted clearance there. I removed the remaining shims and reassembled and...
            05-01-2020, 07:27 AM
          • Ford Abone
            Babbit or insert bearings
            by Ford Abone
            Contemplating a new engine build. 7 to 1 compression,late B high lift cam,single downdraft, header,mechanical advance distributor..Dont believe in dynos and horsepower readings but for sake of argument lets say it puts out 80hp. Plan on a lightened flywheel,V8 clutch and counterbalanced crankshaft and want to 'tour' with it..got a mitchell behind an A trans with 3.78 gears,very happy with the combination.I...
            08-23-2020, 08:39 PM
          • Greynomad
            B crank in A block
            by Greynomad
            I am looking to build a strong, smooth running touring motor preferably without having to spend the big $ to buy a new crankshaft (about $3,500 by the time it is here) and I've have heard of people grafting a counterbalanced B crankshaft into an A block but I haven't seen any details on it. Has anybody out there done it or know anything about it? I have a crank and rods ready for it.
            I see a...
            12-21-2019, 06:04 PM
          • Hoogah
            Rear main seal options - which one?
            by Hoogah
            My ‘29 motor is at the engine rebuilders after discovering white metal in the sump when chasing a rear main oil leak (see separate thread “Dropped sump, found metal”). He’s going to re-pour the main bearings, but is happy with the condition of the babbit on the con rods (the motor has been rebuilt once that I know of). The babbit on the rear main was mostly gone and what was there looked way...
            07-08-2018, 11:32 PM
          • Chuck Sea/Tac
            Main bearing oil feeds
            by Chuck Sea/Tac
            Readjusting valves on newly built engine. Noticed when I pulled valve cover off, oil went everywhere. The center valley was full, but not the ends. When I put oil down the end main feeders it drains, but the center main does not. I know the feeders were flushed. Which is normal? about a half hr run time over several starts in a stand. I thought I had a tappit noise, but now thinking it’s the center...
            02-08-2018, 03:51 PM
          • GasWorksGarage
            5 bearing cam in a 3 bearing block.
            by GasWorksGarage
            Hello,

I am rebuilding a 29 Model A engine and needed a cam. Found one on ebay and silly me didn't notice it was a 5 bearing. It looks as though it will work and I have read where it has been done. Then I have read counter arguments. So my question is can it or can it not be used?

Thanks in advance....
            10-21-2020, 08:34 AM
          • Hoogah
            Dropped sump, found metal
            by Hoogah
            Just dropped the sump (looking for the source of an oil leak around the rear main bearing) and found some metal under the baffle at the front that I can’t identify. A couple of the pieces are fairly substantial - the biggest one is around 20mm Long and 5mm thick. Any clues on where to go looking? The engine has been running OK with no odd noises. It has an engine reconditioner label on the side,...
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.
            05-26-2018, 12:12 AM
          Working...
          X