Slant pole coil question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slant pole coil question

I have what I think is an original slant pole coil in my box-o-stuff. How can I determine if it is a good working one or not?

Connect a capacitor across the 2 primary terminals, connect a battery to one of the primary terminals, then hold the coil wire 1/4" from that terminal and touch the other battery cable to the other primary terminal (off-on, off-on, etc.) and check for a hot blue spark.

Comment

Well Ray, you could check between the terminals for 3ohms resistance, or you could plug it into a car and see if it fires the plugs. Somewhere there was a post about checking coils and condensers.....
      You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Here's a coil and condenser tester I make years ago.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

• Ray Horton
          Ray Horton commented
          Editing a comment
          If I made something like that Tom, it sure wouldn't look like that! That is a beautiful piece of work!

• 2manycars
          2manycars commented
          Editing a comment
          Well Tom, I am ready to buy one of those testers. I suggest you start making a batch.

• CarlG
          CarlG commented
          Editing a comment
          Reminds me of a telegraph key that I built to practice Morse Code on. Not near as pretty as this though.

(I never did pass the Morse Code test, gave up my quest to be a ham radio guy.)

Related Topics

Collapse

• Chuck Sea/Tac
        Coil internal wiring
        by Chuck Sea/Tac
        some info says the plus is where to check the high voltage, and another says use the minus. I also have seen wiring diagrams showing comman internal connection on both plus and minus. Are different coils wired differently to the + - terminals? Also, I get the same ohm reading from the hi tension tower to either plus or minus. This is on several coils that spark well.
        which terminal is the power...
        10-15-2018, 08:11 PM
      • troutyjim
        Coil question, need help.
        by troutyjim
        While prepping my 30 Coupe for a big car show next week and hoping to bring home the gold I noticed that both the coil and bracket on the firewall both looked a bit shabby and decided to give them a good cleaning and spruce them up a little. So, I grabbed the necessary tools and removed them both cleaned them up to be more presentable and then upon replacing the coil to the firewall I discovered...
        08-06-2021, 10:23 PM
      • pooch
        Crab electronic coil ohms.
        by pooch
        Helped a mate with an electronic Efire crab dizzy today.

Would not go, after a couple of hours we found 2 things wrong.

Firstly the magnet drum had to be pushed right home to work and we could not get a 3 ohm coil to run.

Got it running on a 1.2 ohm coil.

Whether the 3 ohm one is dead or electronics don't like 3 ohms.

12 volt...
        12-23-2018, 11:50 PM
      • WMWS
        Coil effecting speedometer
        by WMWS
        Today I changed out my coil to the flame thrower 40111. My electric tachometer is hooked up to the coil. Now my tac is showing fast for some reason. Any idea why.
        09-09-2017, 06:11 PM
      • old31
        Which of the two coils would you use? Which one is better?
        by old31
        For a PerTronics distributor which of the two coils would you use A or B.

6Volt.

A. Primary .6 Secondary 8.56

b. Primary 1.6. Secondary 11.96...
        09-18-2019, 02:09 PM
      • GARY FRANK
        Checking ignition coil.
        by GARY FRANK
        Can somebody tell me how to check if a coil is good, bad or going ineffective. It's on a 1939 Ford Pickup with the 95HP 239.
        06-15-2020, 10:29 PM
      • Chap52
        Ignition Coil Question
        by Chap52
        My coil is not marked "+"/"-" but "Batt" and "Dist". How do those markings align with +/-?
        11-01-2018, 06:27 PM
      • Fixitphil
        Coil Wiring
        by Fixitphil
        When converting my A to 12 volt I've heard that you have to switch the two primary wires on the coil. Which small primary wire goes to positive and which to negative side of coil?
        02-22-2019, 08:55 AM
      • conaway2
        Ignition coil testers ?
        by conaway2
        What do ignition coil testers measure ? I’ve seen some very old ones with a ‘good-bad’ meter on them that also allow the high tension wire to plug into the tester. I’m guessing that these testers measure the high voltage generated ??

I’m considering building a simple test device and thinking that I would simply measure the length of the spark produced.

thanks - Jim
        02-04-2021, 08:03 AM
      • emac
        hot coil, real hot
        by emac
        1930 CCPU converted to 12v. It has a NAPA coil. The coil gets very hot while running. Seems to run fine but I am worried something is wrong as I dont think it should get this hot.

The black wire in the picture is going to the positive terminal on the coil. Any thoughts?

07-11-2021, 07:37 PM
      Working...
      X