The 29 came out of storage after about 35 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 29 came out of storage after about 35 years

i took it completely apart when I was in high school in the 70s and finished it by the time I got out of college. It isn't a show car mainly because I drove it as a daily driver to my first job. Most things are correct on it but it needs going through before I fire it up. I already put new tires on and will check the usual things then try and start it. Things sure have changed since I tore it down all those years ago, so much information is available on the internet. I miss all of the old guys who were the experts back then, nearly all are gone now, I am one of the old guys now, funny how that happened.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Looks great! What was it doing for all those years? Just stuck in the back of the garage?

Comment

That's beautiful. Keep it just as it is. It owns you, not the other way around.

Comment

Drive it and enjoy it.

Comment

Looks great, cool story.

Comment

Congrats for holding onto it for all those years. That is so cool, and the memories it gives you back must be fabulous.
            Keep us posted on how it turns out
            3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said
            "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

It has just been sitting in the garage all these years, there is still a 30 coupe in there that just needs assembling. I got out of school and then had to take jobs away from home and then started a family and the rest is history as they say. The cars have just been waiting to be awakened I suppose. There was also an unrestored 30 tudor sitting outside but it had a metal roof so it survived and I tackled that one first and have it running around on the farm roads with heavy duty 16 inch tires. After being away from Model A's for so long I was surprised at how working on them came back just like riding a bike. What got me back into it was that I met a guy who had one and didn't know much about them so I started helping him with things and realized it was time to get at least one back in condition even if funds are tight these days.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• CarlG
                CarlG commented
                Editing a comment
                I had the same thing. It was 50+ years between Model A #2 and #3. I, too, was surprised how much came back to me. And, of course, back then I had no library of all things Model A like I have now.

"I miss all of the old guys who were the experts back then, nearly all are gone now, I am one of the old guys now, funny how that happened. "

yep I think about that every now and then......and I seriously doubt I know as much as they knew......

Comment

I had the pleasure of working with an 83 yr old. If and I mean if I knew what he has forgotten I would feel blessed. Fortunately he is still around, not quite as sharp as he was. Wonderful resource.

Comment

I worked on the 29 and got it running today. One of the problems was that the points had worn down and were shorting out against the cam, so after replacing them I got fire out of the coil wire. The filter screen in the sediment bowl fell apart when I tried to remove it and the shut off was gummed up for awhile but luckily the carburetor worked fine probably because it was last run before ethanol. So it seems to have come back to life without too much work.

Comment

• Mitch
                    Mitch commented
                    Editing a comment
                    When she first woke up what did she say to you?

Related Topics

Collapse

• BNCHIEF
                  Today an old project came out of hiding.
                  by BNCHIEF
                  Well I started in cleaning my shop making room and getting rid of junk. I have owned this car for 30 years and started on it long ago, but with 70 hour work weeks, and in the military for 34 years and building a house and raising kids it got put in a corner as did my other T. Well now that I am retired I am going to finally get this car finished.
                  This gallery has 9 photos.
                  12-03-2018, 08:15 AM
                • Howie1930
                  1930 Ford Model A Coupe "Elaine"
                  by Howie1930
                  Hello folks. Here is my newly acquired 1930 Model A Coup I am naming Elaine. Also over here, Post #311.

What I know so far is that this vehicle was purchased sometime in the late 60's by my Grandfather (Howard Engh-USMC) and grandmother (Elaine-USN) while they were stationed at Pear Harbor. My understanding is that it was purchased from someone in Hawaii who had it all disassembled and...
                  04-12-2020, 12:56 PM
                • Larry Jenkins
                  Off topic, but try to indulge us..
                  by Larry Jenkins
                  Funny things happen when you get old. You seem to remember old things. Both my wife and I are in our mid eighties. Went though 2.5 Model A restorations during our 65 years of marriage. Oh yeah.. 4 kids too.

The thing I remember most is when I met her. August 11,1951. 67 years ago. Kinda proud about that. But don't ask me what I had for lunch yesterday..

Lar...
                  08-11-2018, 09:17 PM
                • Larry Jenkins
                  Like many other things in life..
                  by Larry Jenkins
                  It is usually all about attitude when it comes to solving problems. How about that pesky Model A issue that you are having or have had problems with.. Attitude. Here's a very old saying that I practiced through all my working days and my Model A restorations..

"To try and fail is at least to learn; not to try will be the inestimable loss of what might have been.."
                  11-14-2019, 10:15 PM
                • Tom Wesenberg
                  Long Term Storage or a New to Me Model A
                  by Tom Wesenberg
                  This is what I would do if you just got a Model A, or want to start one after many years of storage.

If you have liquid gas in the tank, then I would drain it out and put in fresh gas. If the gas has evaporated and left dry residue behind, then I'd blow out all you can with a long blow gun and air compressor. Then flush out the rest by using some fresh gas and draining it through...
                  07-15-2017, 12:16 AM
                • Jordan
                  How much is it worth? Original 1928 Tudor
                  by Jordan
                  I have considered getting another Model A to tinker with for a little while now- but a school teacher I can only afford so much. I have ALWAYS wanted an "original" car to make into a "grapes of wrath" type vehicle to just have fun with. I almost got one last year- but someone else got to it literally 30 seconds before I did.

I found this 28 Tudor and the owner is asking...
                  02-07-2019, 10:42 AM
                • Great Lakes Greg
                  My future MOE car out of winter storage
                  by Great Lakes Greg
                  I was able to roll out my fine point prospect this morning, and a thorough look over revealed some items that will need more attention than anticipated, and other things that are amazingly well preserved. Two questions. The top band trim that goes around the whole back of the car (it's a special coupe) has a poor fit on the drivers side. The raised moulding part is at least a half inch farther back...
                  This gallery has 4 photos.
                  03-24-2019, 12:13 PM
                • richsfords
                  second look for pervious owner
                  by richsfords
                  Have you ever wanted to take or have taken your Model A back to the pervious owner to show them what you have done, or ask why they did certain things ?????

In my case it was how and why they reversed 3 pistons and left out half the coupler on the front universal. Never did get the opportunity, but have wonder why.

Richard...
                  12-12-2019, 02:34 PM
                • canadian
                  LIFE
                  by canadian
                  How much life was expected from a Model A, I was wondering to myself , did them people think that 90 years later there purchase was still going to be around , Personally I find it amazing . rough times back then , money to maintain there car must have been hard to come by. I have a 29 and found some coins in front door bottom from 1932.. just wondering a few coins probably made a difference, 90 years...
                  05-22-2018, 12:36 PM
                • Corley
                  Feeling Stupid
                  by Corley
                  Had to replace broken window glass in Elvira's driver's door, and decided to install the new locking door handles that I bought a couple years ago at the same time. (The drivers door on the Tudors did not have a key lock originally, so I bought two handles that use the same key. Just seemed like the thing to do.) Imagine how dumb I felt when I could not get EITHER of the old handles to come out. Remove...
                  04-20-2020, 10:20 AM
                Working...
                X