POLL for a Model-A Workshop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLL for a Model-A Workshop

Mitch and I have been talking some about this some, and now we’ll throw it out there to see what kind of responses we would have.

As some of you may remember, several years ago we held some 3-day Weekend Workshops (actually 3 consecutive years I think beginning in 2006 or 07??) where we met at my shop for fellowship and learning about how to ‘restore’ our Model-As. Maybe the time has come to host another workshop? In a nutshell, here is an overview on what we are proposing;
    • Schedule a Friday morning thru Sunday evening workshop in Elizabethton, TN that attendees can bring components of their project to work on under the guidance of others.
    • The cost to attend will be FREE, and the only out-of-pocket $$ is someone generally passes the hat to cover weekend expenses incurred such as towels, hand-cleaner, shop supplies, etc.
    • The date will likely be in April of 2018, and the exact date will be announced shortly.

In the past we have hosted seminars specific to repairing sheetmetal, rebuilding rear ends, transmissions, brakes, wheel straightening, -and one year we even rebuilt an engine including pouring & boring the babbitt. The intent is for folks to participate in several areas gaining first-hand knowledge of what is involved, learning a few tricks, --or sharing tips with others that you have learned. We can include as many topic s as we have an interest for, -or time to do. Also in the past, we have included specialty vendors such as Grain-It Woodgraining and Henrob Torches to come set-up and demo their products. Mitch & I also discussed the possibility of even designating an area for an outside swap meet (i.e.: 10-15 vendors) for hobbyists to sell Model-A parts.

Now the logistics, …in the past workshops we had attendees from Texas up to Minnesota, and from Mass down to Florida. The most participants that I can remember attending was something like 110, and this time we will likely try to hold registration to around 100 people. There are plenty of hotels approximately 10 miles away or less from the shop to stay, -and we will decide at a later date on what to do for food. The location for working on most of the participant projects will take place in a 75’x175’ warehouse area that will shield us from the weather however that area is not heated or air conditioned, so we must choose our date carefully. We will also utilize other shops within the facility to hold seminars & work sessions that are air conditioned and heated, however the size and scope of each project will need to be discussed to make sure everyone has enough room to work safely on their project. As time permits and when we have experienced operators, we can utilize many of the shop tools such as lathes, mill, the Pullmax, the Wheeling Machine, welders, etc. Having knowledgeable volunteers to oversee various seminars will be a huge help.

I feel sure there are many more questions to be asked, but for now please give us some feedback if you are seriously considering attending, and tell us what item(s) you would like to work on (your project or someone else's).

image_4326.jpg

image_4575.jpg

image_4574.jpg

Attached Files
    Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 11-27-2017, 04:38 PM.

(This area reserved for updating with future announcements)

Comment

(Reserved for updated list on Attendees)

Comment

Brent, this is such an excellent idea, and on behalf all those that are passionate about these cars I thank you for offering this.
        If it were not for a very delicate family matter going on right now, I would sign on to be a 'knowledgeable volunteer'
        in a heartbeat. I am sure many will grab at this special opportunity.

I would like to comment that I have seen and driven an A that Brent and his team restored a few years ago. This couple lives but 10 minutes from me. I was very impressed with the cosmetics and mechanicals that were put into that car, and I look at things with a very critical eye, since Miles and I strive for the best that be done here in our shop. This group really knows what they are doing, so I think there is a lot that can be learned at his workshop

Comment

• George Miller
          George Miller commented
          Editing a comment
          Let me know if you can make it. I' m not that far from Brent's place

This would be pretty neat, family has a Tennessee trip planned in April to Dollywood but one of us (me) has to puppy-sit so it would depend upon the timing. I will watch and see what develops..........Thanks

Comment

A big thanks to Brent for offering his shop and personal time to assemble a possible workshop / swap meet. This is an exclusive VFF event, so your feedback and questions are appreciated and needed. Feel free to post right onto this thread.
          2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
            This would be pretty neat, family has a Tennessee trip planned in April to Dollywood but one of us (me) has to puppy-sit so it would depend upon the timing. I will watch and see what develops..........Thanks
            Jeff, bring the puppy too. My shop has a Golden Retriever that goes to work with me each day, so yours will give her a play buddy for the weekend!

Comment

• Jeff/Illinois
              Jeff/Illinois commented
              Editing a comment
              Ya got that right... a Golden Retriever is exactly what we have and man oh man does he love to play!! And smart!! A real character that little guy!!

Thanks but if I can make it, depending upon the date, it will be solo he is a full time job keeping an eye on him!! Hope to see you guys in the spring!

I would love to attend any seminar by Brent, but Tennessee is a too fur piece from my garage.

Comment

I'm in

Comment

I'd like to go. The Studebaker swap in South Bend is May 2nd, so maybe I could do both in one trip.

Comment

• pAAt
                  pAAt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Tom, I might be able to split expenses and drive to both if you like ?

• Mitch
                  Mitch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pat can you take your pickup? That would be great for Tom, he could leave his back seat in.

• pAAt
                  pAAt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mitch, it would be a pleasure to chauffeur Tom anywhere in my truck ! I'll even go up, get him, drop off his Delco light plant, and proceed to Tennessee after an Indiana stop. I'll be the one with duct tape one my mouth and brand new hearing aids.

I might be in to this for sure!

Comment

Durn tootin’ I’ll be there. Lucky me only about 50miles away. There has been talk at Davy Crocket about a visit. So far that’s it. How many others know what a Singer is?

Comment

Originally posted by pAAt View Post
                    Tom, I might be able to split expenses and drive to both if you like ?
                    Yes, I can pick up my Studebaker Land Cruiser on the way, and Brent can demonstrate how to paint a car by using mine. Poor hood lost it's paint.
                    012.JPG

Comment

• pAAt
                      pAAt commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sounds like fun Tom, do we need to pull a trailer or are you going to drive the Stude around ?

Brent,
                    I'd attend as well. If you need some help I'd be happy to assist on that end. Have done lots of driveline rebuilding and if you're doing body I can assist as well.
                    Great idea and thanks for stepping up. I'd love to see some of our younger generations to be represented as well. Kudos for stepping up and dedicating some of your time!
                    Larry Shepard

Comment

I think the workshop is a great idea. Logistically I won't be able to attend. I appreciate the efforts of the members of VFF to promote the hobby.

Comment

• model a dennis
                        model a dennis commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I would like to come to the work shop, it all depends on my schedule. Thanks, Dennis
                    Working...
                    X