Spark Advance Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Advance Rod

Are any of the repro spark advance rods available from vendors? Supposed to be 17 5/32 for '30'31, etc.?

I use the repos with no issues.
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

They are all available

Comment

I meant repro. 17 5/16 (supposedly) original length, not 5/32 (typo). Just checked Brattons which list 2 sizes and a brass rod splice. Shorter ones need more column adjustment. The distrib. body slot is shown as 1" wide.

Comment

If you have a 2 tooth column you can loosen the clamp and turn the tube for some adjustment. Rod
        Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Mitch
          Repo parts problems and fixes
          by Mitch
          Horn Rod

When installing a horn rod on a 30/31, i usually have to sand about an inch of the stem with 80 grit where the upper bushing rides. This needs to spin freely otherwise the lights will go on when turning the steering wheel. I also had to sand down the squared bottom end so it would fit into the light switch easily.

Have you run into any repo issues and fixes?...
          12-18-2017, 10:44 PM
        • Cape Codder
          Spark Tester
          by Cape Codder
          Yesterday I borrowed and used a Spark Tester on my car between the coil wire and distributor cap. With the wooden peg I moved the wire inside the tester and saw that I had a spark but could move it so that the spark seemed to break up and there for moved it back to the original position.
          Question is what did I really accomplish by doing this other then to see there is a spark from the coil...
          08-27-2017, 09:39 PM
        • tbirdtbird
          Answers to a few questions about FSI brand distributors, which have automatic advance
          by tbirdtbird
          Original Thread:
          https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...omatic-advance

FSI offers the so-called 'Zipper" dizzy as well as the 'FSI' dizzy. The Zipper looks nearly identical to the stock A dizzy, but has a fixed advance total of 28°. The springs can be changed to alter the shape of the curve, but the total cannot be changed. It is most suited, IMO, for a stock...
          10-26-2017, 10:42 AM
        • tbirdtbird
          Answers to a few questions about FSI brand distributors, which have automatic advance
          by tbirdtbird
          FSI offers the so-called 'Zipper" dizzy as well as the 'FSI' dizzy. The Zipper looks nearly identical to the stock A dizzy, but has a fixed advance total of 28°. The springs can be changed to alter the shape of the curve, but the total cannot be changed. It is most suited, IMO, for a stock motor with a 4.2 head. In actuality, if you are running a stock 4.2 head you will not have to change anything...
          10-26-2017, 10:42 AM
        • Mitch
          Checking for Intermittent Spark
          by Mitch
          Diagnosing a high speed driveabilty problem can be tougher, because you usually cannot replicate it in your driveway. The first thing i like to know is what system is causing the issue spark, fuel or mechanical. Once this is determined one can then start troubleshooting that particular area. I use this style spark tester that you can get from Amazon, which enables plug wires to be snapped onto each...
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          10-22-2017, 11:42 AM
        • DaWizard
          Model B Distributor
          by DaWizard
          What will happen if I were to place a Model B distributor, or any other centrifugal advancing distributor atop a NuRex centrifugal advance unit?
          10-07-2017, 09:31 PM
        • EarlyBert
          To Spark arrestor or not to spark arrestor?
          by EarlyBert
          I am having difficulty filling my fuel tank. I have the neck extender & the spark arrestor is still in place. We have the filler nozzles here that have the vapor recovery system. The nozzles pump faster than the spark arrestor can allow flow. I am interested in others thoughts on the real necessity of the spark arrestor today. I am thinking that Imwill remove it & save it as an original part...
          10-15-2018, 12:46 AM
        • Mitch
          Nurex Advance
          by Mitch
          Okay so there is always chatter about how great the Nurex Advance is. I drive my cars with the lever around 9:00 or a little less. I can climb hills, idle, and just about drive on all terrains by leaving it alone. Of course when starting the car it needs to be in the up position. I think most feel they have to continuously be moving the darn lever in order to drive the car. Why should I buy one?
          04-02-2018, 09:02 PM
        • Captndan
          More on distributors
          by Captndan
          Which way is best, Original with Nurex, Model B, Mallory, or electronic. And there seems to me more than one model of Nurex. Automatic advance is the goal.
          09-30-2017, 06:22 PM
        • dmdeaton
          Spark Plugs
          by dmdeaton
          What spark plugs are you guys running and where is the best place to order some?
          08-29-2017, 03:39 PM
        Working...
        X