Spark Advance Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Advance Rod

Are any of the repro spark advance rods available from vendors? Supposed to be 17 5/32 for '30'31, etc.?

I use the repos with no issues.
    3~ Tudor's & 1~ Coupe
    Henry Ford said,
    "It's all nuts and bolts"
    "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

They are all available
      Ill., Region MARC & MAFCA
      MARC JSC Member
      MAFFI Trustee
      2023 Hamilton National Co-Chair
      National Facebook Admin.

Comment

I meant repro. 17 5/16 (supposedly) original length, not 5/32 (typo). Just checked Brattons which list 2 sizes and a brass rod splice. Shorter ones need more column adjustment. The distrib. body slot is shown as 1" wide.

Comment

If you have a 2 tooth column you can loosen the clamp and turn the tube for some adjustment. Rod
        "Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good." Thomas Sowell

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Cape Codder
          SPARK ADVANCE CONTROL ROD
          by Cape Codder
          Is there a definite measurement for the Spark Advance Control Rod?

I have a situation where the the Spark Advance will not go completely to retard because it is hitting the Distributor Body.
          The Steering column is in the proper (or as I have always thought with the Spark & Throttle rods CENTERED on the top) location.
          I'm just wondering if I have a Spark Rod that is too...
          08-30-2022, 12:40 PM
        • Cape Codder
          Spark Rod
          by Cape Codder
          Have checked Brattons online catalog and their Spark Rod is 17" long while Snyders is 17 5/16". Who's is correct?
          01-08-2023, 06:37 PM
        • Cape Codder
          DIMENSION 0F SPARK ADVANCE LEVER OPENING
          by Cape Codder
          Can someone tell be the dimension of the space in the bottom of the Distributor Body where the Spark Advance lever comes thru?
          08-29-2022, 08:27 PM
        • ahirt
          Spark Control Rod - Why Can't They Make it Right?
          by ahirt
          I have been working on my 28 Tudor for a while, trying to fix big problems first. Just put in a new engine. When I put the distributor on and connected the spark control rod, I noticed that I could not raise the spark lever to the top of its range. It had always been that way but I ignored it. I little investigation showed that the bottom plate on the distributor was as retarded as it would go, being...
          06-15-2019, 09:37 AM
        • DaWizard
          Alternate Distributor
          by DaWizard
          Ok, a bit of background first.

As some of you know I have been an advocate for the NuRex centrifugal advance and have been using one for 2 years without issue. Well, after reading the threads here about the advance and needs of the HC heads, I decided I would search for an alternate centrifugal advance distributor.

See, the stock engine with the 4.2:1 compression heads are
          02-14-2019, 03:57 PM
        • Steve Plucker
          Spark and Accelerator Control Rods...
          by Steve Plucker
          Has anyone successfully restored the ORIGINAL Spark and Accelerator Control Rods: A-9742, A-9747, and A-9757?

We all have them and seen them with broken springs so they are not useable.

What can we do to restore these rods with broken springs so as to have a workable rod that is back to original shape and condition?

Thanks.

Pluck
          01-26-2019, 01:22 PM
        • Cape Codder
          Spark Advance / Throttle Arms
          by Cape Codder
          Which one of the the two bent arms on bottom of steering column for the Spark and Throttle go down?
          10-07-2021, 12:45 PM
        • Mitch
          Repo parts problems and fixes
          by Mitch
          Horn Rod

When installing a horn rod on a 30/31, i usually have to sand about an inch of the stem with 80 grit where the upper bushing rides. This needs to spin freely otherwise the lights will go on when turning the steering wheel. I also had to sand down the squared bottom end so it would fit into the light switch easily.

Have you run into any repo issues and fixes?...
          12-18-2017, 10:44 PM
        • Westsail
          Spark Lever Quadrant Woes
          by Westsail
          Well, this is kind of a painful find. As I worked through the fluids, settings, etc. on my new Model A, most discoveries were reasonably pleasant. The one cloud that had been hanging around was the previous mechanic's instructions: "Just leave the spark lever all the way down (for starting and forever after); that's the way I have it timed." That didn't sound right, but what did I know;...
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          12-21-2021, 09:49 AM
        • JohnB15632
          Distributor advance location
          by JohnB15632
          Here is my dumb question of the day. When the distributor is in the engine idle position, where is the correct distributor advance position.
          Is it as in the attached picture, all of the way to the left, or is it to be all of the way to the right, towards the middle of the engine?

Thank you,
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          07-12-2021, 10:17 AM
        Working...
        X