Refinishing the Fuel Tank Flame arrester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refinishing the Fuel Tank Flame arrester

I believe the screen was terne plated. That is coated in lead. I have one that is decent and after a treatment in rust away the surface rust is gone in the 30% or so of light surface rust that was there.

How have you refinished them? What have you done and how well did it work?
    I have to state I am not interested in show level, but future rust prevention.

I was thinking of a few ideas. My concern is not having the holes plug up.

A small tank of lead and dipping and letting it sit long enough to come up to temp. Then quickly taking out of the lead then wacking a plate to get the excess lead off and open the holes. There may have to be some flux involved at some point.

I also have tinning butter. Rub it on and bring it up to temp and then wack it on a plate to clear holes.

I've sandblasted a couple of them, then I use my Caswell Copy Cad home plating kit to plate them with tin. They have held up very well. In fact last night I sandblasted the horn mount for my Studebaker and plated it the same way. I'll take a picture of it and post it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
      I believe the screen was terne plated. That is coated in lead. I have one that is decent and after a treatment in rust away the surface rust is gone in the 30% or so of light surface rust that was there.

How have you refinished them? What have you done and how well did it work?
      I have to state I am not interested in show level, but future rust prevention.

I was thinking of a few ideas. My concern is not having the holes plug up.

A small tank of lead and dipping and letting it sit long enough to come up to temp. Then quickly taking out of the lead then wacking a plate to get the excess lead off and open the holes. There may have to be some flux involved at some point.

I also have tinning butter. Rub it on and bring it up to temp and then wack it on a plate to clear holes.
      They were not terne plated. The beginning of production through early 28 screens were brass. After that the screens were cadmium or zinc plated. Both is acceptable in Fine Point Judging.

Comment

Ahh well that would make things different. I was going on the solder found at the top. Copy Cad it is.

Comment

I said the Copy Cad was tin, but I meant to say zinc, and I corrected my other post. Here is the horn bracket I blasted and plated last night. I have never seen any plating on these horn brackets, but I want some rust protection, and it still looks pretty natural. I also pictured some light switch parts I plated, as well as a cutout. The contacts in the light switch aren't connected to the case, so they don't take a plating, which is good. On the base of the cutout you can see the line where I dip it in the solution. The plating comes out a dull grey, so I give it a very light brushing with the worn out brass brush shown, which makes the plating brighter.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

FWIW, I put a repro starter switch housing I did on my porch for a month or two. The side I coated with satin clear was fine, but the unprotected side has a rust haze.

Comment

I put a light coat of oil on the horn bracket as soon as I got done wire brushing it.
              I usually wipe down my cutout with an oily rag about once or twice a year, and after 15 years, it still looks good.

Comment

Here is an interesting read on the plating of this part: http://www.plucks329s.org/pdf/gastank/filler_assy.pdf

Pluck

Comment

Thanks all for the information. I should have checked my JS.
                  What got me thinking tern plate was the lead used to solder the top part to the screen. I used my knife to scrap a small amount from that area.

I have the copy cad system so I will be doing some zinc plating soon.

Thanks!!!!!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Mitch
                    ATTN Brent!
                    by Mitch
                    Brent
                    I posted this fuel system tech thread back in June and mentioned the work you do on fuel tank restorations in post #1. If there is anything you might want to add to this either for or against what i wrote? Feel free to add a comment onto that first post. Your input would be valuable to the information.

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...tering-options
                    12-19-2017, 08:02 AM
                  • Ken Parker
                    cutting open a 31 gas tank.
                    by Ken Parker
                    Couple weeks ago someone asked about cutting open a tank. I cut the back out of a tank about the same time. Cleaned out some loose stuff where someone tried to coat the inside many years ago. Got it fairly clean from the two holes in the back and sewed it back up. Mig welded then followed with solder to seal the mig pinholes. See thread in the other forun iffins you is curious.

The...
                    This gallery has 9 photos.
                    05-19-2018, 10:48 PM
                  • Rowdy
                    Pressure Plate Surface Rust
                    by Rowdy
                    I bought this rebuilt pressure plate at an auction last year for $10. It has some surface rust on the clutch surface, not alot. How would be the best way to deal with this. Looking at it I am doubtful it would cause much of a problem if it does not get any worse. Thinking just put some ATF on it til I am ready to use it unless someone has a good suggestion to get rid of the rust without messing up...
                    This gallery has 1 photos.
                    04-21-2018, 11:28 PM
                  • Ken Parker
                    cutting into back side of gas tank
                    by Ken Parker
                    In a psot below is /are some photos and partial write up about cutting the top off a tank. This is my experience wth cutting holes into the back side of a tank. Looking thru the filler hole or the gauge hole I could see some of the sealer loose in the bottom of the tank and other parts peeling from the surface.. The sealer was put in by previous owner in 1988. My first cut was the center section....
                    This gallery has 3 photos.
                    05-20-2018, 09:06 AM
                  • Gary Karr
                    Early '28 Fuel Tank differences
                    by Gary Karr
                    Here are interesting observations of very early '28 fuel tanks. The earliest pictured here has no vertical reinforcement ribs on the firewall side and as observed, no triangular support for the special hook that applies tension to the wire in the upper cowl lacing. Also to note is that there is just a round hole and not the elongated hole to direct tie wire down when the hook is tightened. This...
                    This gallery has 4 photos.
                    09-30-2018, 02:16 PM
                  • Leo
                    What Success Has or Did Redi-Strip Have with Gas Tanks?
                    by Leo
                    I know this is kind of an odd way to start a post. Back about 30 years ago when I began the restoration of my 1930 coupe there was a Redi-Strip near Allentown PA. I had them do several of my parts including the gas tank. The gas tank was installed in the car without any further work done to it except a good slosh with gasoline. Moving forward to now, I'm running with a pencil type filter on the...
                    03-19-2018, 08:44 AM
                  • dmdeaton
                    Gas Tank Neck Extension
                    by dmdeaton
                    Ok, haven't been to a gas station yet with the new car. Are these things handy to use? I have also seen a mirror with a magnet? Don't want to overfill on my first run.
                    09-07-2017, 08:15 PM
                  • Beauford
                    Tank drain ideas...
                    by Beauford
                    Way too much rust in my tank so got some Rust911 off Amazon coming. Since it is concentrated I will fill the whole tank. I'm not taking the tank out. I have a glass sediment bowl and trying to think of a way to hook a hose up to use when I drain the tank. Not looking at taking inside fuel line off....
                    06-02-2018, 08:57 PM
                  • Beauford
                    Gas tank blues...
                    by Beauford
                    So when I received a gas tank I purchased I really didn't give it a good once over since the deal was done and guy said it had no dents and was a really nice tank. Got it back from sand blaster....what a waste of money. Huge whammy in the top corner. Nasty welds on upper corners of dash. Looks like fuel valve was snapped or cut off so there is a mess there....nobody will work on a tank correct due...
                    07-18-2017, 06:44 PM
                  • Supergnat
                    28 Fordor Leatherback gas tank installation problem
                    by Supergnat
                    I am attempting to install a replacement gas tnk in my Oct 28 Fordor Leatherback. I have the tank bolted to the cowl but am unable to fit the firewall piece that holds the sediment bulb and terminal box in place. The opening is about 1/4 inch too small. Does anyone have a suggestion to resolve this problem. I This panel was difficult to remove when I was trying to get the old tank out. I'm afrais...
                    05-25-2017, 01:52 PM
                  Working...
                  X