Refinishing the Fuel Tank Flame arrester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refinishing the Fuel Tank Flame arrester

I believe the screen was terne plated. That is coated in lead. I have one that is decent and after a treatment in rust away the surface rust is gone in the 30% or so of light surface rust that was there.

How have you refinished them? What have you done and how well did it work?
    I have to state I am not interested in show level, but future rust prevention.

I was thinking of a few ideas. My concern is not having the holes plug up.

A small tank of lead and dipping and letting it sit long enough to come up to temp. Then quickly taking out of the lead then wacking a plate to get the excess lead off and open the holes. There may have to be some flux involved at some point.

I also have tinning butter. Rub it on and bring it up to temp and then wack it on a plate to clear holes.

I've sandblasted a couple of them, then I use my Caswell Copy Cad home plating kit to plate them with tin. They have held up very well. In fact last night I sandblasted the horn mount for my Studebaker and plated it the same way. I'll take a picture of it and post it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
      I believe the screen was terne plated. That is coated in lead. I have one that is decent and after a treatment in rust away the surface rust is gone in the 30% or so of light surface rust that was there.

How have you refinished them? What have you done and how well did it work?
      I have to state I am not interested in show level, but future rust prevention.

I was thinking of a few ideas. My concern is not having the holes plug up.

A small tank of lead and dipping and letting it sit long enough to come up to temp. Then quickly taking out of the lead then wacking a plate to get the excess lead off and open the holes. There may have to be some flux involved at some point.

I also have tinning butter. Rub it on and bring it up to temp and then wack it on a plate to clear holes.
      They were not terne plated. The beginning of production through early 28 screens were brass. After that the screens were cadmium or zinc plated. Both is acceptable in Fine Point Judging.

Comment

Ahh well that would make things different. I was going on the solder found at the top. Copy Cad it is.

Comment

I said the Copy Cad was tin, but I meant to say zinc, and I corrected my other post. Here is the horn bracket I blasted and plated last night. I have never seen any plating on these horn brackets, but I want some rust protection, and it still looks pretty natural. I also pictured some light switch parts I plated, as well as a cutout. The contacts in the light switch aren't connected to the case, so they don't take a plating, which is good. On the base of the cutout you can see the line where I dip it in the solution. The plating comes out a dull grey, so I give it a very light brushing with the worn out brass brush shown, which makes the plating brighter.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

FWIW, I put a repro starter switch housing I did on my porch for a month or two. The side I coated with satin clear was fine, but the unprotected side has a rust haze.

Comment

I put a light coat of oil on the horn bracket as soon as I got done wire brushing it.
              I usually wipe down my cutout with an oily rag about once or twice a year, and after 15 years, it still looks good.

Comment

Here is an interesting read on the plating of this part: http://www.plucks329s.org/pdf/gastank/filler_assy.pdf

Pluck

Comment

Thanks all for the information. I should have checked my JS.
                  What got me thinking tern plate was the lead used to solder the top part to the screen. I used my knife to scrap a small amount from that area.

I have the copy cad system so I will be doing some zinc plating soon.

Thanks!!!!!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Mitch
                    ATTN Brent!
                    by Mitch
                    Brent
                    I posted this fuel system tech thread back in June and mentioned the work you do on fuel tank restorations in post #1. If there is anything you might want to add to this either for or against what i wrote? Feel free to add a comment onto that first post. Your input would be valuable to the information.

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...tering-options
                    12-19-2017, 08:02 AM
                  • old victoria
                    rust 911
                    by old victoria
                    got a gallon of rust 911 mixed up a batch. dropped in a very rusty model a carb 6 hours later not a spot of rust. the stuff WORKS!
                    12-15-2018, 07:15 PM
                  • cpf240
                    YARGTT ( Yet Another Rusty Gas Tank Thread )
                    by cpf240
                    I've been following the various threads here on how members have been dealing with rusty fuel tanks. While I'd love to pull the tank and ship it off to Brent, that will have to wait.
                    The Rust911 concentrate should arrive today. After a PM session over FB ( Facebook, not the ) with the Rust911 people, I'll be picking up 10 gallons of distilled water to use in the process.

As...
                    01-25-2019, 05:02 PM
                  • old victoria
                    rust 911 update
                    by old victoria
                    Monday filled the tank 1/2 full of water than added rust 911 filled the tank to the top with water put on the cap and shook the car today drained the tank NO RUST LEFT! Also spilled some on the paint no harm done. great stuff
                    12-18-2018, 05:14 PM
                  • benbuilder
                    rust in 1930 tank
                    by benbuilder
                    Happy Independence day.
                    I have a 1930 coupe I just bought. Has a chevy 350 in it. I installed a glass fuel filter. I see a lot of rust particles. I know the tank is not removable. I would like to drain the tank and coat it. I realize This will be difficult because it is not removable. Any thought from someone who has done this? process and products used?
                    07-04-2020, 01:39 PM
                  • JKY
                    Fuel Petcock Brazed to Tank
                    by JKY
                    The 28 pickup that my brother owns has had fuel problems. We cleaned the tank out pretty well but the pencil filter in the petcock keeps getting debris and starving the carburetor for fuel. He drives it a bit and carries a wrench with him. When the fuel system plugs, he removes it at the carb and blows into the fuel line until he hears the bubbling in the fuel tank. Off it starts and home he goes....
                    09-09-2020, 11:58 AM
                  • jmart76
                    Fuel Tank Clean
                    by jmart76
                    I'm a proud new owner of a 1929 Fordor. This is my first restoration so excuse my ignorance.

I can turn the engine over, but it doesn't stay started ( Video link below). After I made the video, I pulled the sediment bowl and it was full of rust. My next plan is to clean the fuel tank and either clean the carb or purchase a carb on ebay (please let me know what you prefer).

06-23-2019, 05:10 PM
                  • CSPIDY
                    Gas Tank Rust Removal
                    by CSPIDY
                    Finally got around to addressing the rust in the gas tank of my 28 Tudor.
                    the plan is to remove it, fill it with 10 gallons of Evaporust, clean with Por-15 cleaner degreaser, then prep with the Por-15 metal prep, followed with Por-15 paint coating.
                    what are your thoughts? I have heard good reports on the Por-15 paint but have some reservations using an internal coating.
                    any advise...
                    This gallery has 1 photos.
                    01-18-2019, 01:52 PM
                  • Rob Patterson
                    Best way to vent a Speedster gas tank ?
                    by Rob Patterson
                    My speedster has a well built Rootlieb fuel tank. For those unfamiliar with them they have a beautiful big brass wing nut style filler. At the top of the threaded neck is a flat with a rubber (neoprene perhaps) "O" ring inserted, which seals against the bottom/underneath of the screw on cap.
                    I'm keen to hear any suggestions as to how I can go about venting the tank without making something...
                    02-02-2019, 12:22 AM
                  • Ken Parker
                    cutting open a 31 gas tank.
                    by Ken Parker
                    Couple weeks ago someone asked about cutting open a tank. I cut the back out of a tank about the same time. Cleaned out some loose stuff where someone tried to coat the inside many years ago. Got it fairly clean from the two holes in the back and sewed it back up. Mig welded then followed with solder to seal the mig pinholes. See thread in the other forun iffins you is curious.

The...
                    This gallery has 9 photos.
                    05-19-2018, 10:48 PM
                  Working...
                  X