The best product to clean a carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best product to clean a carb

I bought a zenith 1 carb that I will rebuild, what is the best product to soak parts for cleaning before rebuilding?

I have used Evaporust and also blasted them in my cabinet
    i clean and blow out the ports and passages with carb cleaner and compressed air
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I normally bake the carburetors in the oven at 450°F for an hour, then put them in the freezer for four hours. This makes dis-assembly easier and loosens up deposites. After it is all apart I soak in mineral sprits for a week to get rid of the loosened deposites. Afer that bead blast and clean all of the passages. Paint the castings and re-assemble with resized jets and other tested parts. Rod
      Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

T.S.P. in warm water works well for me. Even BETTER, set the can on an old hot plate, on LOW.
        TIDE, used in the same manner, will clean carboned-up pistons slick as a WHISTLE! Learned this trick from Chrysler, it was used to clean varnished-up Automatic Trans parts. In a 5 Gallon bucket, you can clean crankshafts/camshafts/rods & about ANYTHING & they look like "NEW"----TRY IT, you'll be amazed how easy it is.<l(:-) It's like a Poor Mans' HOT TANK.
        Bill Clean
        Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 06-15-2017, 09:56 PM.

Comment

I have a gallon container of carb cleaner with a dip tray that I bought at a car parts store. Take it apart and soak for a day and you will get all the paint and varnish off. Then maybe the evaporust after that. I have used the same gallon for cleaning parts for over a year.

Comment

Humble Model A opinion from 20+ years of successful Model A petroleum cleaning experiences:

For cleaning "any" old or new petroleum products from "any" old Model A surface, until you try POR Marine Clean mixed with hot tap water, you will be like a mountain climber on a camping trip in the wilderness with severe irritating loose bowels who forgot to place Imodium in his back pack.

Comment

Has anyone ever used an OLD Dishwasher to clean parts? They work quite well. It's good to use them outdoors, in case they LEAK. It's also a good use for them, when you put a NEW one in your home. When you no longer use it, put it at the curb & a junkie will take it & everyone's HAPPY & your parts are CLEAN! IF no one takes it, put out an OLD Battery, as a bonus for takin' it. You gotta' play the ANGLES!;)
              The Dog: sed I should have been a Used Car Salesman!
              Bill W.
              Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 06-26-2017, 08:33 PM. Reason: The Dog added a smart assed comment.

Comment

• DaWizard
                DaWizard commented
                Editing a comment
                And here I thought you were a used car salesman!

I'm tryin' to sell VERMIN/BOOKOODLES of TOOLS/HEAVY EQUIPMENT/ALL MY SPARES, $22,000 cash, FOR THE WHOLE WORKS!
              Bill "Broke"

Comment

• pAAt
                pAAt commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll buy, if you throw in the talking Dog Bill !

Related Topics

Collapse

• pAAt
              Zenith carb cleaner
              by pAAt
              I have one of my Zenith carbs in mineral spirits as of today. I bought a box of TSP and plan to boil it tomorrow for a few hours and then put it in the freezer for a spell. I will check out if brass comes out freely. I will clean ports out with a paper clip or wire suitable for that chore. My question is, is bead blasting that necessary ? I have a friend that could do it for me, but I need my extra...
              10-03-2017, 08:18 PM
            • Jim Mason
              parts washer fluid
              by Jim Mason
              So anything recommended? I was wondering if there was anything new out there.
              09-04-2017, 10:21 AM
            • Mickey
              Model B carb. rebuild
              by Mickey
              Can anyone (would anyone) build me a good working B carb. from what you see here? I would ,of course, pay for any additional materials. The first three shots are the same table, different view. The fourth shot is three additional cores. I've checked most of the best vendors and other sources. None. Renner no longer rebuilds carbs....
              08-02-2018, 12:14 PM
            • Terry, NJ
              Cleaning Parts.
              by Terry, NJ
              I've worked around machinery all my life but this rear end job has been the dirtiest tasks I've done in a long time. Yesterday, I emptied the bucket I had used for cleaning the parts. I threw the bucket in the recycle bin rather than bother to try to clean it up. Now I have to try to clean up the slab where I'm working, it's a freaking mess! Years ago, There was someone offering, for a fee, this...
              03-16-2018, 11:40 AM
            • Beauford
              Just got a backup carb...
              by Beauford
              but may become daily driver carb and Zenith as a backup. Rebuilt Marvel fo $200. Crummy ones on fea bay go for 80$ and rebuild kits from Renners is about 140$. Then time to clean, blast, install...I think I came out better. Still waiting for the rain to stop to test yet again settings on Zenith to prevent stop stalls.
              05-12-2019, 02:01 PM
            • L Jones
              Tillison carburators
              by L Jones
              When I have stuck screws and jets in a Zenith carburetor, I get out my torch and heat and quinch and everything comes apart very easy.
              What do you do when you have stuck screws and jets in a Tillison carb from years of corrosion.
              05-18-2019, 08:19 PM
            • 1930artdeco
              rust powder
              by 1930artdeco
              Hi All,

After I get done with the valves I would like to soak the block and head with something to remove the rust powder so I can start with a clean block. Already cleaned the radiator out. I was thinking of blocking off the inlet and then pouring in some evaporust and letting it soak and then draining it. any other ideas?

Mike...
              03-18-2019, 08:47 PM
            • Steve Plucker
              Cleaning a crudy Oil filler pipe tube
              by Steve Plucker
              Besides soaking in gas and trying to clean what you can from the inside of the tube, what are some ways to get those baffles clean that one can not get to with in the tube itself? Boiling it in a good soapy solution???

Thanks.

Pluck...
              05-07-2019, 06:35 AM
            • pAAt
              Engine cleaning before paint
              by pAAt
              I have spent hours scraping my block off and I enjoyed every minute of it, which surprised me a bit. I have oven cleaner from the Dollar store and Simple green from another store. Tom Wesenberg, could you tell me the rest of the cleaning process or come down and show me how to do it ? P.S.- if you decide to come down, could you bring some plasti-gage and a variety of gauges, mics, shims, emery cloth,...
              06-12-2017, 01:04 AM
            • Keith True
              Odd carb problem
              by Keith True
              I'm having kind of an odd carb problem on an A.It is something I've never seen before.When I turn on the gas it leaks badly out the throat until the float shuts the valve.Then it does slowly weep,maybe a drop every couple of minutes.It does idle too rich,even with the GAV turned all the way down.I have verified the GAV needle is hitting the seat,but just with a magic marker,not by pressure.This carb...
              06-26-2018, 01:20 PM
            Working...
            X