Distributor cam grease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor cam grease

Can you use regular dielectric grease on the distributor cam?

It will melt right off and slop all over IMO

I always use cam lube, a small tube will last 25 plus years
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Thanks, I have an echlin number, but Napa didn’t have it, and the guy said dielectric grease would work, which I thought was suspect.

Comment

I use silicone grease.

Comment

I have this tube of molly grease that sticks to everything and impregnates itself into the surfaces. This shit don't get slung away or go anywhere, it don't melt.
          You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

The suppliers sell it, and i have it in the standard brand at the shop. Here is a quick search in which amazon has it from MACS

https://www.amazon.com/MACs-Auto-Par...8Z8H7NGAY6ERC6
            3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I'm still using my tube of Standard Cam lube from the 70's.
              If I don't have it handy, and a cam needs lube, then Mystik JT-6 High Temp red grease works fine.

Comment

When someone compounds a special purpose, proven lubricant, why not just USE it. Typical DISTRIBUTOR CAM lubricants have been around for GENERATIONS.---YES, Henry said use Vaseline, but he didn't know any better

Comment

I agree with you Bill. Using the product designed for the job is usually the smartest thing to do.
                  Mitch, I just ordered it on line, thru your provided link. Thanks, now I don’t have to waste time driving around or trying to locate someone local that has it in stock.
                  last time I tried to find some, the counter guy grabbed a set of points for a mustang, and stole the capsule out of it. Nice for me, but not so much for the guy that ended up with those points.

Comment

• Big hammer
                    Big hammer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And why don't our suppliers include cam lub with their points? Maybe Brattons well now!

I have been using Vaseline for years, and its cheap. Any left over I just use it in my hair.

Comment

• BILL WILLIAMSON
                    BILL WILLIAMSON commented
                    Editing a comment
                    When something didn't fit, Chief said, "Jist rub a little VASELINE around the hole & on the part"!!!

Thanks for another great tip guys. I just ordered it. Boy you guys are really stocking me up. LOL
                  Phil

Comment

It's the right thing for the application and the tube will last you forever
                    3 ~ Tudor's
                    Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment