Coil Polarity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil Polarity

Found this little dwg. on the net for checking coils polarity other than the conventional lead pencil test and the vendors' tester. No specificity for 12 volt neg. vs 6 volt pos. systems.
    Attached Files

I've been thinking about why the coil polarity is important!
    A spark is a spark at the plug!
    I think I know but the experts hopefully will chime in.
    My shade tree experience says it's the gap in the distributor first then at the plug?

Comment

Chicagoland mg club has the best explanation I've ever seen.

http://www.chicagolandmgclub.com/tec...neral/574.html

Comment

Thanks Tom, wondered if or where the dwg. came from. A few paragraphs down, it says there's no difference in connecting the test leads to read the analogue meter for + or - ground systems ( even assuming the coils are marked + or - but also assuming as taught by theory that electrons flow across the battery from + to -).
        Last edited by plyfor; 11-24-2017, 09:25 PM.

Comment

With neg. ground (12 volt) , one would think the + meter lead in sketch would be connected to the plug, not the head. The current path through the 12 volt - grnd.. coil would assume to be from + to - across the coil primary..

Comment

Ideally the lead to the plug is negative, no matter which battery post is ground, so the negative meter lead should always go to the plug.
            I like to use a high ohm resistor between the meter leads, so I can short out most of the high voltage, rather than sending it through the meter.

Comment

Our 12 volt ( negative ground) coil terminals are marked; so in summary, the ignition switch red wire is the ground leg and goes to the neg.coil terminal. The black wire runs from the + coil terminal to the + j box terminal.
              Would assume since the coil is marked that no polarity check would be required.

Comment

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                That is correct

Related Topics

Collapse

• Chuck Sea/Tac
              Coil internal wiring
              by Chuck Sea/Tac
              some info says the plus is where to check the high voltage, and another says use the minus. I also have seen wiring diagrams showing comman internal connection on both plus and minus. Are different coils...
              10-15-2018, 09:11 PM
            • Ray Horton
              Slant pole coil question
              by Ray Horton
              I have what I think is an original slant pole coil in my box-o-stuff. How can I determine if it is a good working one or not?
              11-28-2017, 09:09 PM
            • WMWS
              Coil effecting speedometer
              by WMWS
              Today I changed out my coil to the flame thrower 40111. My electric tachometer is hooked up to the coil. Now my tac is showing fast for some reason. Any idea why.
              09-09-2017, 07:11 PM
            • canadian
              friendly discussion
              by canadian
              I have read about the big no no about mounting a ignition coil, terminals down on Model A firewall. I have a NAPA 12V internal resistor mounted upside down for 3 years. Brother rumbles by with 72 dodge...
              05-12-2018, 06:18 AM
            • Chuck Sea/Tac
              Question regarding Tom W’s coil tester
              by Chuck Sea/Tac
              can the 6V tester be used for twelve volt? What changes would be needed to test 12V coils?...
              02-16-2018, 10:55 PM
            • BudP
              Testing a Model A Coil
              by BudP
              I am looking for some guidance on testing a 6 volt coil with an analog meter. I presume side post to side post will check the primary windings but what should be the setting on the analog meter and what...
              06-11-2017, 02:07 PM
            • Cape Codder
              Coil Decision
              by Cape Codder
              I am looking to purchase a coil other than OIL filled. I see that Summit Racing sells Per Tronix Ignition Coils which are EPOXY filled and Primary Resistance is 1.5 ohms with maximum voltage rated at...
              10-05-2018, 03:32 PM
            • plyfor
              12 volt neg. ground wiring for coil, etc.
              by plyfor
              Attached is a dwg. from the net that may be helpful. It also shows how to locate a condenser away from the dizzy and up at the firewall. If an oil filled coil is used, the diagram has the terminals facing...
              02-13-2018, 06:15 PM
            • plyfor
              Oil Filled coil orientation
              by plyfor
              We picked up a (12 volt) Standard -no resistor required- UC15T oil filled coil. The oil does slosh around inside. Research suggests these cylinder types can cool better than epoxy filled when the terminals...
              11-07-2017, 12:09 AM
            • Mitch
              Coil Tester
              by Mitch
              COIL TESTER

Coil Tester
              By Tom Wesenberg

Here is a coil and condenser tester I made for about $9. The 6 volt relay is 35 ohms and the capacitor connected to the relay...
              08-06-2018, 07:21 AM
            Working...
            X