How to set up the 15 degree tilt on the front brake actuator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to set up the 15 degree tilt on the front brake actuator

I was wondering if someone on the forum can describe to me the the proper way to set up the 15 degree tilt on the front brake actuator.
    I have read several articles and watched YouTube on the brakes but do not get a clear answer on how to really do this.
    Thanks in advance

You use what is called pills on the actuator rod that up the center of the spindle bolt this is done to take the play out if done right then you will have the correct amount of tilt, look up *****'s advice on how to set up your brakes it is in the tech section.

Comment

Along with what Chief mentioned some folks just like to put a dab of weld on the rods end then grind it off to the desired length.

I usually use those pills also
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I printed out *****'s way to do it BUT still like to see how it looks when the lever is on 15 degrees

Comment

• BNCHIEF
          BNCHIEF commented
          Editing a comment
          Joop if you do not find it I will take a pic and post it for you later what tbird said is pretty clear.

If looking at the left front wheel, lever should look like it is pointing at 11:00. If looking at the right front wheel, it should look like 1:00.

If the lever starts out vertical (noon), with the slightest application of the brake rods you will be at what is called 'over-center' and you will have zero force on the vertical actuating pin inside the kingpin, no matter how hard you step on the pedal.

I have done the welding method and the pill method, both work fine. The suppliers have the 'pills' (basically shims to shim up the pin from 85 years worth of wear). I don't like to use more than 2 pills. If it needs more than that, my personal standard is to weld them

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          i was going to say 10:57 28 or 1:03 31

• BNCHIEF
          BNCHIEF commented
          Editing a comment
          You do precision work Mitch the rest of us are normal.

• Joop
          Joop commented
          Editing a comment
          I see what you saying but which reference point on the car frame do I use to put up my 15 degree scale

I agree with all the above, and have welded them and also used the pills. But some times they are worn so bad that you need to replace some parts. Bottom line no matter how you do it you need 15 degrees forward like Mitch so nicely described.
        Last edited by George Miller; 11-24-2017, 03:19 PM.

Comment

3 ~ Tudor's
          Henry Ford said
          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I Have that one but where do I hold it onto to see if they are set right

Comment

As long as the actuating arms are not past vertical when the brakes are on hard your good to go. Another way to look at it when the brakes are on hard the actuating arm and the break rod angle should be no more that 90*.

Comment

no need to measure anything, just eyeball it

1:00 on the right, 11:00 on the left. This is an eyeball test

Comment

Okie Dokie will do that Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Joop if you take all the slack out of the lever by using the pills do that first then the lever will be correct should be a tiny bit of movement make sure the shoes fully retract and you have slight movement at the lever, you are overthinking this, Tbird said it about as simple as it is.

Comment

After I bought 2 new push rods, the levers were at the correct 15 degrees forward.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DaWizard
                        BAD BRAKE JOB!!
                        by DaWizard
                        Last Wednesday I got a cute little '30 coupe that came from Vegas area a few months ago that the owner was complaining about the lack of brakes and running badly and wanted to get it fixed. So, while taking off the brakes to send to Randy Gross to have him do his magic I noticed something strange.

The right side brake rods were all the correct length, but the left side had the correct
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 3 photos.
                        07-12-2019, 10:18 PM
                      • bosticjb
                        BAD BRAKES
                        by bosticjb
                        Relined my brake shoes with new lining & had the drums turned and trued and now I don't have the braking power I had before , have put sevral miles and two adjustment but still very weak braking power,, any suggestions ?
                        07-08-2019, 07:52 PM
                      • Mitch
                        Brake Information & Adjustment Procedure
                        by Mitch
                        Brake Adjustment Procedure:

I've noticed posts about sticking brake pedals and poor brakes. If the brake rods are not set up correctly , the brakes will be poor even if all parts are new . Here is how I do mine . I first adjust the brake adjustment wedges at each wheel with the brake rods disconnected at the clevis end . I start by adjusting the wedges at the rear wheels...
                        05-13-2017, 04:04 PM
                      • Chap52
                        Brake Floaters?
                        by Chap52
                        My 30 Tudor is new to me and it did not come with a "Log Book" detailing the "what's and when's" of maintenance or add on's. (It has one now.) I am blessed with the condition of the car and the obvious love and care it has received over the years.
                        The brakes look great and stop well. I have read a lot about "brake floaters" and if they work as advertised they seem...
                        01-05-2019, 07:47 AM
                      • 1930 Closed Cab PU
                        Brake Squeal
                        by 1930 Closed Cab PU
                        Last winter had my truck worked on including the Brakes. New shoes/riveted woven linings, converted to cast hubs. Linings arced and chamfered. Brakes were not restored, shop said there was a little wear on some of the other parts, but are good. Did not have restored, ran out of cash.

Slight occassional squealing especially when braking from slower speeds just before complete stopping,...
                        08-22-2019, 05:53 PM
                      • Doctor J
                        Front end/brake problems
                        by Doctor J
                        My 1930 Town sedan was parked for over 9 months. When I got it out to drive, it started right up, but the front end shuttered every time the brakes were applied. I thought some rust had built up. Drove it around for a while, gently riding the brakes and it seemed better. But going down a real steep hill, I applied the brakes and the whole car jumped to the right every time the brakes were applied....
                        08-01-2018, 04:29 PM
                      • Art Ebeling
                        1911 brake rods
                        by Art Ebeling
                        The brake rods that came with my 1911 project are pretty much straight. The picture shown in the suppliers catalogs show a couple of bends in them . What should they look like? Art...
                        05-25-2019, 07:05 AM
                      • 1930artdeco
                        curiousity brake question
                        by 1930artdeco
                        Were the little pills original to the front brakes? Or did they come out after to compensate for something?

Just curious,

Mike
                        04-12-2019, 04:36 PM
                      • dmdeaton
                        Flathead Ted's Brake Floaters
                        by dmdeaton
                        What's everyone's opinion on this setup? Anyone using this?
                        10-08-2017, 12:24 AM
                      • Denis4x4
                        39-42 Lockeed rear brake issues
                        by Denis4x4
                        In September, I replaced all of the wheel cylinders and cleaned up the backing plates etc. This is a photo of the left rear brake on a Model A rear end. Had the original Ford logo brake shoes relined. The ebrake cables are Locar and work with the A ebrake handle. The ebrake arms are in a bind and the only things I can identify as issues are the guides on the backing plates where the ebrake arms....
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.
                        12-06-2018, 05:24 PM
                      Working...
                      X