Building up Original Shackles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building up Original Shackles

Over the years there have been a few posts on building up original shackles and turning them back to original size. I lack the equipment and possibly the skill to do this. Is there anyone who is offering this as a service? I have a set of double script shackles that are well worn and would lime to have them built back up to stock size for future use. Thanks Rod
    Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

A lot of time goes into them to get them correct. So much so that the final cost is prohibitive to do it as a business.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• dmdeaton
      Rear Spring Shackle Question
      by dmdeaton
      Ok, started putting my frame back together. New rear leaf spring has bronze or brass bushings, perches on diff have steel sleeves. I had planned on using a nice set of welded aftermarket shackles with the poly bushings. That aint going to work unless I knock the steel and brass bushings out of both. I don't have a good set of original style shackles, which would have the right diameter for this combination....
      04-16-2018, 10:03 PM
    • DaWizard
      Mallory YA-11A distributor
      by DaWizard
      Howdy folks, last night I was given a Mallory YA-11A single point distributor for the Model A and was wondering if anyone has any paperwork and possibly parts for it. It has only been 60+ years since I rebuilt one, and back then, parts were all over the place. My Google search turned up a LOT of information over there where I am still BANNED for the second time. It is the hope of it's owner that I...
      09-28-2017, 03:21 PM
    • wrndln
      Choke rod question
      by wrndln
      I have a pretty nice choke rod, however the knob is a little loose. I don't think it is possible to put any glue in the small space between the rod and knob without removing the knob. I would like to remove the rod and J-B Weld or epoxy glue the knob onto the rod. I don't know how the knob is installed on the rod and how to remove it. If anyone knows how the knob can be removed without damaging...
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      10-23-2018, 08:18 PM
    • Fixitphil
      Connecting Rod Balancing
      by Fixitphil
      Again I'm new at this game and haven't seen much, but this situation does not seem right. Give me your input please.
      I'm getting a new engine so I tore the old engine down to see what it was like.
      1. I found one of the rods had a 1.5 in long weight welded inside the web. Nothing on the other side.
      2. Second rod had a 3" weight welded to each side of the rod.
      3. Third...
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      08-12-2018, 12:03 PM
    • Ray Horton
      Discarding an original part
      by Ray Horton
      I am of the belief that one should never discard an original part. But here I am with an Autolite manifold that has sagged in the rear to a point where the exhaust port is exposed about 1/8". I have a line on a good replacement, but do I discard the bad one? Or hope that somehow, somewhere, it could be rejuvenated?...
      08-22-2017, 11:33 PM
    • William_Smith
      In search of Fulton Up-Starter Rod or complete unit
      by William_Smith
      Just need the rod that goes between the end of the lever and the starter switch, been searching eBay for quite a while but no luck so far.
      This gallery has 2 photos.
      04-29-2018, 02:51 AM
    • Tom Wesenberg
      Buy My Hubcaps or I Will Smash Them
      by Tom Wesenberg
      Well, a threat certainly should make these hubcaps sell. It has me scared. LOL

https://www.ebay.com/itm/model-A-hub...tZbVDO&vxp=mtr
      12-13-2017, 11:04 PM
    • pooch
      Tinkering
      by pooch
      I like to tinker with cars after they are registered and driving, small jobs here and there.

These lakester pipes have been on for 20 months and are starting to rust.

Over the next 3 weeks I will drop them off and pick them up again and have them ceramic coated in a shiny silver.

Note the dented recess on top , I am guessing these may have...
      07-23-2018, 12:13 AM
    • Mark Maron
      Check Those Shackles
      by Mark Maron
      Been riding somewhat rough for the last year, car also has a "tilt" to the right., used chain lube, PB Blaster, Kroil for the last 6 months on my rear spring.. Could not get a drop of grease in the rear shackles. Heated them, used a wire, hammer grease adapter ect.. Needed to change the shackles. Tom was over and helped do this very difficult pain in the butt job. Found that they were worn,...
      This gallery has 5 photos.
      09-20-2018, 03:11 PM
    • George Miller
      Rebuilding a model A engine
      by George Miller
      I do not want to get into bashing people. So I,m going to say the model A engine is one of the hardiest to get right when rebuilding them. You could do 2 chev small blocks or Ford small block to 1 model A engine, that is if you do it right. Every one always says how simple they are. But they are not simple to get right....
      01-22-2018, 03:25 PM
    Working...
    X