Speedo not moving...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo not moving...

Ok so I went for a short cruise as my vehicle is not DMV approved yet. The rebuilt speed does not work. It bench tested beautifully with a drill. I insert cable in speedo first and then the underside. I have rear on jackstands and it will go for a second and its like the cable jumps out. I'm assuming the speedo end. Any suggestions?

Yes, the cable may be too short and need the spacer that often comes with the new one. Also, before chasing yer tail, remove the gasket from the turtle on the drive shaft and reinstall and see if that helps.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Beauford
      Beauford commented
      Editing a comment
      It's the turtle..unscrewed speedo, put her in gear and gassed him. Cable not spinning. All this is new. Just operator error..hahaha

• Beauford
      Beauford commented
      Editing a comment
      Wiz...you are a damn scholar! I removed gasket, put in high gear and cable spins!!! Thank you sir!!!

• DaWizard
      DaWizard commented
      Editing a comment
      If you are worried about the possible leak of schmoo by the lack of gasket, you can use a thin layer of your favorite sillycone to keep the schmoo in.

• Beauford
      Beauford commented
      Editing a comment
      Naw...no worries here! Took her up to 17mph in the garage. LOL Just have to put correct spring anti rattlers on tomorrow. Then the worst part. Fenders, hood, door alignment.(after my neighbor fixes my paint) Uggghhhh Got a bag of bolts with zero idea what goes where except rear fenders, running boards and hood shelves. I'll wing the rest...

Capture.JPG If the snap ring isn't in place on the drive shaft it will let the gear and thrust shift and make the teeth not touch. Just my thought!

Comment

• Beauford
      Beauford commented
      Editing a comment
      Good call! Yes I remembered vividly putting that on during assembly. Seems to be working at the moment! Thank you!

Related Topics

Collapse

• Bill in NJ
    Speedo not working at all
    by Bill in NJ
    Looking for advice or article on what to check first in getting it working. Any ideas ? Thanks in advance.
    10-28-2017, 11:32 AM
  • DaWizard
    Part Warning
    by DaWizard
    Since this is the second speedo cable I have purchased from Moss, I was informed they get them from Snyder's, so I am sending out this warning. The internal cable for the 28/29 is too short if you use the stock outer cable!!

It will fit but when pushed all the way into the depth of the turtle, it is short in making it all the way into the speedo square and you need it all the way into
    09-18-2017, 09:30 PM
  • Fixitphil
    Speedo Cable
    by Fixitphil
    Henry tells me in his "Model A Instruction Book" that I should lube the speedo cable every 5,000 miles. I don't know if mine has ever been lubed but I want to do all "Henry" says. What is the most effective way to perform this vital fete?
    He also tells me that I should lube and re-calibrate the speedo itself every 10,000 miles?? Newby that needs some help!
    Thanks, ...
    09-21-2017, 08:37 AM
  • Bobsie
    Inside speedometer cable too short?
    by Bobsie
    Trying to get my speedometer working on my '31 Vicky. I assembled everything took a drive, speedometer worked for a couple of miles then quit. Changed nothing except to install a speedometer cable ordered from Mike's.

Troubleshooting, took the cable off the speedometer in the dash, a quick drive and clearly the inside cable spins. Took the speedometer out and ran it with my drill and...
    09-21-2018, 02:21 PM
  • Reconnoiter
    '34 Speedo Cable Routing Help
    by Reconnoiter
    Hi, new member here....I am in the tail end of restoration of my 34 Fordor and I need some help with routing the speedo cable before I start closing up the floorboards.

Does the cable go through the same grommet in the frame as the grounding strap and out the same location as the fuel and battery cable? Or does it go just like I have it, underneath the frame edge and anti-chatter rod?...
    02-16-2018, 01:41 PM
  • Beauford
    Speedo...
    by Beauford
    Any way to see if a speedo works out of the car? Got a good deal on one and just came in the mail today. Original '28-29...
    05-17-2017, 08:06 PM
  • Tom Wesenberg
    Nice Speedometer, Cable, and Gear Drive Package
    by Tom Wesenberg
    I was hoping this would have gone cheap, so I could buy it, but I don't really need it. Only a few hours left.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-A-For...19.m1438.l2649...
    04-01-2018, 05:06 PM
  • DaWizard
    Driveshaft Speedometer Gear
    by DaWizard
    Ok, before I ask this, I believe I already know the answer, so since I couldn't find anything in the Search results, I will ask anyway to maybe have this put into the Tech area.

Today I have a Sport Coupe to work on and the owner asked to fix the speedo. Well, he brought 4 different speedo cable assemblies and 2 turtles and 3 speedos that he said were "rebuilt".

06-25-2018, 01:36 PM
  • Aretino
    Pop out cable clamp
    by Aretino
    Does the pop out cable clamp that is secured by a head nut serve any significant purpose other than holding the cable?
    06-13-2019, 05:17 PM
  • KB9JLO
    Dash from my car...
    by KB9JLO
    There is still life here. Albeit slow. Working on water outlet. Hope to have it installed this weekend.
    I took the dash out to start the wiring. It had a 30 amp ammeter but the screws on the back would spin when you tried to unfasten the wires! So I ordered a new one from Snyders. It was loose in the dash and the needle was stuck at the bottom. I emailed them and they said that they fall off...
    11-30-2018, 07:54 PM
Working...
X