Engine Test Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Test Stand

I am looking for some ideas for a test stand. I am liking this hobby so much that I am gathering parts to build a couple engines. I don't have a second car yet and may want to start them up and bug them out. Dumb?

DM, I've had good luck in using old junk frames. Test stand, I have, was on a wood buzz saw (2nd pic). I plan to put casters on it someday with a small gas tank and fire wall of sorts for gages/stuff. Pat
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Model A's and of course the famous AA's

Comment

Front of an old frame is a good idea, I like it.

Comment

I have about the same thing as Pat. I bought a running engine on the front part of an AA frame, someone once used as a buzz saw. I put casters on it and cut off any excess so I could use it as a test stand. Someone posted pictures of the one they made, and I like it much better because it's much lighter, more compact, and gets the job done. I can't remember who posted the pictures, but wonder if it was Tom Endy?

Comment

It wouldn't be hard to weld up some square tubing and build one. Check this one out. Charlie Yapp has this one on his video.

Comment

He uses a modern radiator with a electric fan. By the way, I am going to get one of his Roof heads.

Comment

Consider using a Gleaner Combine engine mount if you can find one. I have one left, but not sure if the price of shipping due to weight would work out. Also have an extra Gleaner Combine radiator left. Rod
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 3 photos.
              Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

• BNCHIEF
                BNCHIEF commented
                Editing a comment
                Rowdy I would be interested that gleaner mount is what i had in mind. Need an excuse to come see you anyway.

IMG_1981.JPGIMG_1980.JPGIMG_1979.JPGIMG_1978.JPG here is one I made from wood that I had. I had a nice steel one that I made, but some one want it worse than me so I sold it.

Comment

• dmdeaton
                dmdeaton commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks good George, I have a sawmill and could cut some pretty nice timbers to make one. Old timey looking!

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice George
                It does the job

It has a electric fuel pump, electric fan for cooling, temp gauge, oil pressure gauge, starter button, and on off switch. I am still working on it. want to get it done so I can test this engine which has my home built head and the engine with a 5 main crank out of a 327.

Comment

I guess my first venture will be to come up with a front engine mount and a flywheel housing. I have a paperweight block to mock this up. I will post pics when I get cranking.

Comment

• George Miller
                  George Miller commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I just made some flat iron straps. Then bent them 90 degrees. drilled a hole in each end. Bolt one end to the engine other end to a cross pice.
                  You could probably use the stock mount, if you really want to.

I just found my test stand. I bought a rolling chassis today! More parts for my build. Might as well only do things once.

Comment