Eyebrow fender experts needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyebrow fender experts needed

OK, I am metal repairing an eyebrow fender for a friend. The gauge of the metal just doesn't seem right for stock A. Can't be thicker than 21 ga. Have not measured it, but it is very flimsy.

So, were eyebrows ever repopped?

Probably not as they were only used the first 3 months of '30.

Comment

• tbirdtbird
      tbirdtbird commented
      Editing a comment
      That was my thought too, but this sheet metal is more like a beer can factory gone all wrong

"Maybe" they used lighter metal so the intricate patterns formed BETTER????
    Bill Guessing?

Comment

I just went out and looked at some of mine
      they appear to measure 18 ga .040
      i also checked the standard 30s and they are the same 18 ga and .040
      so, if i misread the gauge i misread both the same
      the only place you can check the 30 eyebrow is where they notched the edge that fits on the frame out for clearance as the edge is folded over
      tom

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        What mot said!
        You can take that to the bank

I appreciate the expertise, mot.
      I don't have any other fenders here to compare to right now.
      I do get .040 where you said.
      I think I have identified the problem.
      We all know how these A fenders like to crack at the midway point along the outer edge. Must be a nasty harmonic going on there.
      Turns out this fender has already been repaired in this area. Not obvious at first due to filler. A large section was gas welded in. The piece used is a lighter gauge!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Great Lakes Greg
        My fender well installation.
        by Great Lakes Greg
        A while back, I inquired about the best way to cut a fender to add a spare tire well. Here is how it turned out. I marked the opening with instructions I printed off from the Snyder's web site. A plasma cutter was used, because I really don't like the racket and metal dust of a cut off wheel. I have an inexpensive unit and it did a real nice clean cut. I C-clamped a length of metal for a guide on...
        07-19-2020, 12:37 PM
      • RockHillWill
        Aluminum Model A Front Fender Build
        by RockHillWill
        This is a project that I have wanted to try since getting more involved in the metal shaping segment of automotive restoration. I have taken a particular interest in doing aluminum work because it looks to be more difficult to achieve by both welding and finishing. This project is a 1930-1931 Front fender. I have been involved the last few years with a gentleman in Belfast, Tennessee who asked for...
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 5 photos.
        06-07-2018, 08:00 PM
      • lalkie
        1929 Welled Front Fender
        by lalkie
        I am in the process of putting a well in the LF of my 29 pickup. Could someone give me some measurements from where the running board bolts to the fender to where it begins on the fender and from where the fender bolts to the running board to the top of the fender where the well ends. Also the distance from the of the left edge of the fender to the left edge of the well. I haven't been able to...
        07-18-2020, 09:50 AM
      • JohnB15632
        Model A 31 right rear fender
        by JohnB15632
        I am sanding my fenders in preparation for painting. I am working on the right rear fender. The fender, as I have it has to "folds" In it that appears to be to be original. They do not look to be to be damaged.

Post is deleted. I got my answer. The fender is accurate as shown.

Thanks,
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        04-23-2018, 02:02 PM
      • copgib
        Question on Fenders
        by copgib
        I have a question for you all. I have a fender on my 1930 Model A Coupe that had some damage and the front metal bead on the bottom side is gone. Does anyone know if there are replacemnt metal piece for sale for this repair or will it have to be constructed and shaped out of metal?
        03-02-2020, 10:14 PM
      • JohnB15632
        Rear Fender to body mounting
        by JohnB15632
        Something goofy is going on here. I seem to have two different sized nuts to mount the fender to the bodyl Am I goofy or are there indeed two different sizes?
        Would anyone know what size(s) these fasteners are?
        I have wasted half a day trying to figure this out. It took me half the morning to realize there were different sized nuts.

Thanks,
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        05-09-2019, 03:24 PM
      • Great Lakes Greg
        Fender Welt
        by Great Lakes Greg
        Do pickup trucks have welt between the back fender and the box side?
        08-14-2019, 09:23 PM
      • ES2Rider
        Fender Brace ??
        by ES2Rider
        Is there a rubber grommet or cushion that goes on this brace on the front fender bracket?
        There was nothing on it when I got the car.
        Thanks ...
        07-28-2020, 07:59 PM
      • KB9JLO
        Is this fender beyond hope?
        by KB9JLO
        I can labor through most tasks, well most but not all. I will never pretend to be an auto body person, though. I'm looking at some used fenders, running boards, aprons, brackets...
        One rear fender has been crunched. What do you think? Beyond hope?

06-11-2020, 04:38 PM
      • Mickey
        Need body guy (or gal)
        by Mickey
        My coupe has rusted out subrail and inner fender panel on both sides in the rear. I have all the needed sheet metal but not the welding skills to get the job done. I can pull the body and haul it so what I'm looking for is recommendations for someone to do the job. Any of you have someone you could recommend I contact?
        01-29-2019, 09:32 PM
      Working...
      X