generator for 12 volt system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• generator for 12 volt system

I have a 1930 model A and have heard that you can use the 6volt generator in a 12 volt system. How is this done? Thanks

Hey davew, WELCOME to the VFF!!

Something tells me I need to get my original Powerhouse generator back and set it up on my 12v and do a topic on it.

Basically dave, the generator can put out up to somewhere around 40volts. The thing that defines how much it will put out is 2 fold. First, the storage device and the cutout setting. If you attach it to a 12v battery, it will charge the battery until it is full, the problem is that without 12v cutout it might run as soon as the engine is stopped and drain away whatever charge was in the battery. So, that being said, a generator will charge and maintain a charge on a 12v battery. You just need too be able to cut off the angry pixies when you stop the engine.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Been thinking of going 12 volt and like the look of the standard generator.. Maybe adding a 12 volt outlet and signal lights but that would be about it. I will look into the fun projects regulator. The model A is a retirement present to myself so just learning. Its been a fun and interesting ride so far.

Comment

There is a company selling a 12v alternator that looks like an original long style generator,,, I forget the name at the moment

Just sayin

But the other info above should help you out as well
        3 ~ Tudor's
        Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• BNCHIEF
          BNCHIEF commented
          Editing a comment
          I might be wrong but I thought i saw brattons had something like that.

• Dennis
          Dennis commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes they do for $350.00

• BNCHIEF
          BNCHIEF commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Dennis i thought that was where I saw that.

If I do a negative ground system will it be a problem?

Comment

You can re-polarize the generator.... read our generator info thread in the chassis tech forum
          3 ~ Tudor's
          Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I'll link these two tech threads from the chassis forum for you anyway. Maybe you'll pick up something extra from them

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...onversion-info

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...tion-repairing
            3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Great information. Thanks, think I'll give this a try.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Chuck Sea/Tac
                Generator winding ohm and other fun topics.
                by Chuck Sea/Tac
                My 20-year-old Peterson voltage regulator has shorted out for the last time. I’m on the waiting list for a new fun projects. In the meantime I was going to just rebuild a generator out of the 30 or so junkers I have laying around and I found one with brand new red field windings in it. But I don’t know if they are 12 or 6 V. The other thing is, I found a horrible generator with a electronic board...
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 2 photos.
                10-31-2019, 08:14 PM
              • smittykid
                Proper charge rate?
                by smittykid
                I'm running a 6 volt generator on a pos. ground system. I was afraid the old cut out was over charging the battery. I replaced the old cut out with a new NUREX semi-conductor cut out. At regular idle the amp meter shows about 5-6 amps of charge. Running down the road- 40mph it shows around 12 amps charge. No lights on. What is the correct charge rate? Maybe the old cut out wasn't bad after...
                08-17-2017, 11:28 AM
              • Jim Baskin III
                Weird generator problem
                by Jim Baskin III
                A friend just called and said as soon as he turns the ignition switch on the generator runs or tries very hard against the belt.The first thing he did was replace the generator and same problem.Going down tomorrow to look.

Ideas on possible causes very welcome.This one has me stumped off the top of my head.
                07-01-2019, 07:38 PM
              • Fredski
                Generator cutout with diode installed ( brattons part)
                by Fredski
                Designed for 20amps. My. Question is can I adjust generator at full amps and this will act as a regulator not to overcharge the battery. If not is somthing available to work.

fred g
                02-05-2019, 12:42 PM
              • Jim Baskin III
                Generator with electronic ignition
                by Jim Baskin III
                Can I run a generator with Pertronics ignition that has a diode cutout ? I know the power to the electronic ignition comes from the battery and the diode cutout keep the voltage even keel,so I don't see a problem but want expert advice.
                05-05-2019, 07:38 AM
              • old31
                Generator vs Alternator?
                by old31
                Besides an alternator having the ability to charge at a very low rpm, is there any other reason to switch from a generator?

I am running led's in the rear, 32/50's in the front and a Tickin through tIme hidden directional light system, and 6 V.
                08-06-2018, 05:52 PM
              • gdaquilina
                Name That Generator
                by gdaquilina
                This is the generator that was on the car when I received it in 1993. It has performed well, and I am trying to determine its origin. It has the oilers at both ends and two wires coming from the grommeted hole where the stud to the cutout is usually found. One of the wires is connected to the cutout, the other is a ground to the one of the cutout screws. The pulley is two piece, riveted together,...
                03-25-2019, 04:52 PM
              • Chap52
                Ammeter always reading negative
                by Chap52
                OK here is my current head scratcher. I am running a stock 6 volt positive ground system in my “30 Tudor. I had concerns because the ammeter would always show a discharge of 4-5 amps no matter what the rpm.

When I bought the car the previous owner’s son who was selling his deceased Grandfathers “A” had replaced the battery. OOPS, he installed it Negative Ground and drove it a...
                12-10-2018, 07:03 AM
              • Chuck Sea/Tac
                Generator output
                by Chuck Sea/Tac
                I was helping a guy get his A started today. Shorted ignition switch. After it ran the ampmeter showed no charge. Would show discharge with lights on. The output of the generator post was the same as the output side of the cutout. 6.1 v. At idle or revved up. Does this indicate the generator is not putting out. Will the output stud of the generator show an output before the cutout closes? Tia
                07-21-2019, 03:43 AM
              • Cape Codder
                AMP Meter Reading
                by Cape Codder
                Well, first of all this is my first post on VFF. I have a 1931 Fordor DeLuxe Blindback which I recently drove 1080 miles to and from Gettysburg for the 2017 National Meet. I have been hooked on this hobby since 1967, so I was very happy to finally get to a National.

The Generator on my car is a original 6V unit with a Diode cutout. When the car is started the AMP Meter will usually...
                08-08-2017, 02:57 PM
              Working...
              X