See less

Snap-On Offset Head Nut Wrench

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There has been some good information in this thread and I am tempted to just agree with Paul in post # 15 and let it go. It is simple and practical and common sense and is the way things were done back in the day. I have done similar things many times.

But, people who have not spent a lifetime cranking on wrenches may not be confident enough they can duplicate a torque by feel, and then there are those who just have to know the science and tech behind it in order to decide for themselves what is significant and what is negligible. I suppose I fall into this latter category. With that admission, I have to say I agree with several earlier posters from a practical standpoint, although technically they may not be 100% correct.

When using any extension that does not place the center of the stud directly under the center of the socket of the torque wrench, there will be a change in the actual vs. reading of the torque. If the crows foot or offset is in line with the wrench, the torque applied will be higher than what is indicated. The shorter the offset, the less significant the change.

If you place the offset 90 degrees to the wrench, there will still be a difference that can be calculated by figuring the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle. But, since the one leg of that triangle is extremely short compared to the other one, the difference in length and therefore the difference in torque is truly negligible.

So, for those who really want to calculate the numbers of what difference an offset makes, I offer up the following link. And it even has the Ford name in the URL, so it must be right.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/re...la_main_en.asp

Comment

"difference that can be calculated by figuring the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle" Oh, ok, I will do that in my spare time. Yikes. Just to turn a nut.

So, actually the crawfoot at 90 like some of you said did not change anything.

Denny, thanks for the chart.

Comment

"So, actually the crawfoot at 90 like some of you said did not change anything."

Correct.

Comment

Working...
        X