12 volt system coil follow up to thread 11-7-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 volt system coil follow up to thread 11-7-17

We have a Standard 12 volt internal resistor UC15T coil for another project. It reads 4.6 ohms across the terminals with 2.6 amps to the points. If an alternator puts out approx. 14 volts , the current to the points is approx 3 amps.
    Just want to follow up that this is OK (with stock or modern V8 style points) if we use on a Model A ?
    Last edited by plyfor; 11-16-2017, 06:03 PM.

That should be fine, and the amps while the engine is running will be much less.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• pooch
      Crab electronic coil ohms.
      by pooch
      Helped a mate with an electronic Efire crab dizzy today.

Would not go, after a couple of hours we found 2 things wrong.

Firstly the magnet drum had to be pushed right home to work and we could not get a 3 ohm coil to run.

Got it running on a 1.2 ohm coil.

Whether the 3 ohm one is dead or electronics don't like 3 ohms.

12 volt...
      12-24-2018, 12:50 AM
    • plyfor
      Condensor at Firewall/coil
      by plyfor
      Is there any issue with mounting the condenser up at the coil? 12 volt system with 16ga wire, internal resistor coil, etc. .
      03-11-2018, 07:55 PM
    • plyfor
      12 volt neg. ground wiring for coil, etc.
      by plyfor
      Attached is a dwg. from the net that may be helpful. It also shows how to locate a condenser away from the dizzy and up at the firewall. If an oil filled coil is used, the diagram has the terminals facing up requiring a longer coil to dizzy wire....
      02-13-2018, 06:15 PM
    • plyfor
      coils (12 volt) primary tests
      by plyfor
      Updating from another post, used a very accurate volt / ohm meter to compare primary readings on 3 internal resistance coils. The results were that 1 used original German made Bosch solid filled (probably tar substance, not epoxy) measured in at 3.2 ohms ,a new Standard UCT15 (foreign made) measured 4.2, and new old stock Lucas (UK made) measured 4.6 . The Bosch went on our car and could be mounted...
      04-09-2018, 01:54 AM
    • Fixitphil
      Coil Wiring
      by Fixitphil
      When converting my A to 12 volt I've heard that you have to switch the two primary wires on the coil. Which small primary wire goes to positive and which to negative side of coil?
      02-22-2019, 09:55 AM
    • Cape Codder
      Coil Decision
      by Cape Codder
      I am looking to purchase a coil other than OIL filled. I see that Summit Racing sells Per Tronix Ignition Coils which are EPOXY filled and Primary Resistance is 1.5 ohms with maximum voltage rated at 40,000 volts.

MY QUESTIONS:
      How does this coil match up to the original coll in that it is filled with EPOXY and voltage rated at 40,000 volts?
      What is the original coils maximum...
      10-05-2018, 03:32 PM
    • KansasRick
      Distributor Condenser Question
      by KansasRick
      Is a distributor condenser voltage specific? Are there 6 Volt Condensers and 12 Volt Condensers? While browsing the parts catalogs I don’t seem to see any specification differences. Am I overlooking something real obvious? I feel like I ought to know this but I never came it across this before. What do you think?
      09-04-2020, 05:04 PM
    • BudP
      Testing a Model A Coil
      by BudP
      I am looking for some guidance on testing a 6 volt coil with an analog meter. I presume side post to side post will check the primary windings but what should be the setting on the analog meter and what range of numbers constitute an acceptable reading? Almost the same question with regard to checking the secondary windings. I presume side post to center is proper but which side post and what constitutes...
      06-11-2017, 02:07 PM
    • smittykid
      6 volt cut out/ 6 volt voltage regulator - Pos. ground
      by smittykid
      Could someone post a couple of photos showing the guts of a 6 volt cut out and the guts of a 6 volt voltage regulator? Thanks, Smitty
      07-19-2017, 10:27 AM
    • sunnyorm
      6 volt Chargers
      by sunnyorm
      Looking for consensus on good Battery Chargers for 6 volt (mine is Optima)

I searched using 12 volt charger (which mine is now) on a 6 volt, but am not sure, if it is alright?
      05-06-2018, 12:06 PM
    Working...
    X