Model A Torque Table?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model A Torque Table?

Has anyone made up a torque table for the Model A?
    Regards - Neil Wilson - [email protected]

Brattons has one in their catalogue, and I am fairly sure Mitch has re-posted that here in the technical area, with some refinements. For example the spec for the camshaft is way over what the cam gear makers suggest

here it is
    https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...-w-corrections
    Last edited by tbirdtbird; 11-16-2017, 09:30 AM.

Comment

• BILL WILLIAMSON
      BILL WILLIAMSON commented
      Editing a comment
      I torqued the lid on my Peanut Butter, by GUESS & couldn't get it off!---Should I weld on a Washer & a Nut?
      Dad Hungry

• tbirdtbird
      tbirdtbird commented
      Editing a comment
      Bill, that is too much work, just break the jar with a hammer

• CarlG
      CarlG commented
      Editing a comment
      Peanut Butter jars are now plastic, hammer just bounces off.

• MikeK
      MikeK commented
      Editing a comment
      Freeze the plastic jar with dry ice. Then the hammer will work.

As Ford never had torque specs, any table would be just a guess based on bolt size like the Les Andrews books have in it. Some values would be too much for the intended use.

Comment

Just tighten until tight. Ford did not use torque wrenches, but had a different wrench for each application, and the handle was designed to provide the correct tightness. That is why the rod nuts are 21/32. Only the rod nut wrench would fit that job. Common sense is the best guide. Anybody with any mechanical experience knows how tight a bolt or nut should be.
      Bill
      http://www.brauchauto.com/
      Eastern Connecticut

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• fmr187
        cam shaft nut torque
        by fmr187
        In reassembling the cam shaft the Les Andrews books say put on nut and tighten. No mention of torque. In 2 parts suppliers catalogs they say this nut should be torqued to 100 lbs. Is this torque number correct and how do you torque this strange shaped nut? I can only see a open ended wrench fitting on this nut....
        03-18-2022, 06:00 PM
      • PepeLoco
        What is torque?
        by PepeLoco
        This is torque:
        12-10-2021, 02:12 PM
      • Jim Mason
        torque vs mph
        by Jim Mason
        I interesting chart I ran across again. Kinda explains why I shift when i do.

03-30-2019, 10:33 PM
      • tbirdtbird
        Manifold Torque
        by tbirdtbird
        I was asked in a PM about my recommendation of 25-30 ft lbs of torque on the manifold nuts, and where did that number come from.
        I think this is important enough to get into the open forum, as it can spare someone a cracked manifold. I was also asked my qualifications. I believe the Andrews book suggests 55.
        My reply follows.

I have been an engine builder for over 40 years,...
        11-15-2018, 10:10 PM
      • Mickey
        Torque on perch nuts?
        by Mickey
        100 foot lbs. puts me in between cotter pins holes. Do I take it on up or back off to align pin holes with slot in the nut?
        10-26-2018, 12:04 PM
      • Mickey
        Valve cover bolts- torque???
        by Mickey
        Les' book says 20 ft. Pounds. Is that correct. Seems a little heavy for such small bolts....
        12-02-2017, 11:23 AM
      • tbirdtbird
        Torque tables
        by tbirdtbird
        From time to time a discussion of Henry not having torque specs arises.

At some later point, engineers derived torque values based on the diameter and grade of the bolts/nuts.
        While the current grading system was not in use in Henry's day, IMO his fasteners were at least grade 5. Else, we would not be able to re-use so many bolts, think of the FW mounting bolts and the FW housing...
        10-25-2018, 09:28 PM
      • OTTAWAED
        Oil Pan Bolt Torque
        by OTTAWAED
        Les Andrews in his Model A Mechanics publication states that the bolts should be tourqued to 20 ft lbs. In the Brattons Parts Catalogue it states 5 or 6 ft lbs. Any thoughts?
        07-21-2018, 04:36 PM
      • tbirdtbird
        Torque wrenches or not
        by tbirdtbird
        Just a useless tidbit.
        There is often discussion that Ford did not use torque wrenches.
        I just stumbled onto an assembly line video of '36 Chebbies that showed the workers using what appeared to be a torque limiting wrench, almost similar to today's clicker type wrenches. It looked like when the worker got to the specified torque there was like a clutch that released and the wrench would...
        02-27-2019, 09:30 PM
      • hudson32700
        Fastener torque
        by hudson32700
        How did Ford determine how tight a fastener should be before the torque wrench was invented?
        07-05-2020, 05:25 PM
      Working...
      X