Model A Torque Table?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model A Torque Table?

Has anyone made up a torque table for the Model A?
    Regards - Neil Wilson - [email protected]

Brattons has one in their catalogue, and I am fairly sure Mitch has re-posted that here in the technical area, with some refinements. For example the spec for the camshaft is way over what the cam gear makers suggest

here it is
    https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...-w-corrections
    Last edited by tbirdtbird; 11-16-2017, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• BILL WILLIAMSON
      BILL WILLIAMSON commented
      Editing a comment
      I torqued the lid on my Peanut Butter, by GUESS & couldn't get it off!---Should I weld on a Washer & a Nut?
      Dad Hungry

• tbirdtbird
      tbirdtbird commented
      Editing a comment
      Bill, that is too much work, just break the jar with a hammer

• CarlG
      CarlG commented
      Editing a comment
      Peanut Butter jars are now plastic, hammer just bounces off.

• MikeK
      MikeK commented
      Editing a comment
      Freeze the plastic jar with dry ice. Then the hammer will work.

As Ford never had torque specs, any table would be just a guess based on bolt size like the Les Andrews books have in it. Some values would be too much for the intended use.

Comment

Just tighten until tight. Ford did not use torque wrenches, but had a different wrench for each application, and the handle was designed to provide the correct tightness. That is why the rod nuts are 21/32. Only the rod nut wrench would fit that job. Common sense is the best guide. Anybody with any mechanical experience knows how tight a bolt or nut should be.
      Bill
      http://www.brauchauto.com/
      Eastern Connecticut

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Mickey
        Torque on perch nuts?
        by Mickey
        100 foot lbs. puts me in between cotter pins holes. Do I take it on up or back off to align pin holes with slot in the nut?
        10-26-2018, 01:04 PM
      • Mickey
        Valve cover bolts- torque???
        by Mickey
        Les' book says 20 ft. Pounds. Is that correct. Seems a little heavy for such small bolts....
        12-02-2017, 12:23 PM
      • tbirdtbird
        Torque tables
        by tbirdtbird
        From time to time a discussion of Henry not having torque specs arises.

At some later point, engineers derived torque values based on the diameter and grade of the bolts/nuts.
        While the current grading system was not in use in Henry's day, IMO his fasteners were at least grade 5. Else, we would not be able to re-use so many bolts, think of the FW mounting bolts and the FW housing...
        10-25-2018, 10:28 PM
      • OTTAWAED
        Oil Pan Bolt Torque
        by OTTAWAED
        Les Andrews in his Model A Mechanics publication states that the bolts should be tourqued to 20 ft lbs. In the Brattons Parts Catalogue it states 5 or 6 ft lbs. Any thoughts?
        07-21-2018, 05:36 PM
      • plyfor
        Brumfield 5.9 head
        by plyfor
        A couple of questions:
        Should the head be torqued to 60 '#, not 55 ?
        Also, points set at what gap for best performance ?
        12-30-2017, 08:55 PM
      • KenCoupe
        Torque wheel lug nuts?
        by KenCoupe
        Does anyone torque their wheel lug nuts, and if so what do you torque them to? I have always used the hand crank and tightened them to my grunt. But I am curious what other people do. I did a search of the forum, but couldn't find anything about it.
        05-15-2018, 12:20 AM
      • Mitch
        Listing errors contained in the Les Andrews books
        by Mitch
        Let me start out by saying that this is not a bashing party, but a slight correction of info.The VFF is all about providing accurate repair and technical information to it's membership. If something is out there that is in error we will do our best to correct it for the good of all. Case in point is the specification thread in our chassis forum. We saw many errors in it and then made our own corrections....
        11-27-2017, 11:15 PM
      • Beauford
        A lot going on now this..
        by Beauford
        So we are trying to sell our house and have a contract on another that is up in the air due to the current owner being over greedy. Getting our house ready for the market next week has been a full time job over the last month along with long work hours and the little ones. So caught a break and decided to put on my Ken Davis shocks. Putting the rears on you have to remove drum. Most of you know I...
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        05-27-2018, 05:55 PM
      • WayneT
        Manifold Torque
        by WayneT
        I just bought new manifolds off of Brattons and on page 63 of their catalog there is a note to install the two bolts that bolt the two manifolds together LOOSE, then torque the 4 manifold bolts to 25 to 30 pounds then finish tightening the two bolts that hold the manifolds together. Less Andrews says 45 pounds so I called Brattons and they say 25 to 30 so you do not snap the ears off the manifolds....
        02-26-2018, 08:56 AM
      • Terry, NJ
        Differential Stuff
        by Terry, NJ
        Finally came to a decision about rear gears! I'm gonna buy a set of 3.54s and the bearings (OUCH!) at $38 @ ($160) cups, $25 ($50) 2 sided cup, $51 gears, $465 assorted little stuff $25. And then drive myself nuts assembling this collection of stuff. Inch Lbs are not a problem. Figuring out what gets torqued 20 In lbs is. If it's those two big nuts on the pinion, it may be! Is that the preload...
        01-22-2018, 09:54 AM
      Working...
      X