New Manifolds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Manifolds

I just purchased a new intake and exhaust maninfold from Tam's today. Can I just bolt them together and they'll be flat or do I need to have them machined?

Plug and play,, you're good to go as is
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Question #2 would you bolts them together, then bolt to the block?
      Or loosely bolt them together, then bolt on the block, then the two bolts
      You could use a Carpender square and check for flatness both mounting just for a good measure !

Comment

I guess there are many ways to skin a manifold installation, but what i do is

assemble it onto the motor with the halves slightly loose and movable. Once everything is in place and that includes the muffler, i proceed to snug it all up.
        The first thing i tighten are the two half bolts

"REVISION"
        The first thing i tighten are the two bolts that hold the manifolds together
        3 ~ Tudor's
        Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

"two half bolts" ??
          Paul in CT

Comment

• BNCHIEF
            BNCHIEF commented
            Editing a comment
            I assume he means the two bolts that mate the two manifolds together, Mitch adds a lot of detail like I do which makes people scratch their heads. That one left me a little perplexed as well, Mitch acts like we actually know what we are doing.

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Paul you can be the VFF proof reader i was going to give the job to Dad

• BILL WILLIAMSON
            BILL WILLIAMSON commented
            Editing a comment
            A HALF-BOLT is jist part of a WHOLE-BOLT---
            Dad Halfhere

What about "glad" rings? Should they be used" (hope I got the terms correct)

Comment

If using a new exhaust manifold I would use the gland rings. If using a used manifold with more than 3/32" of droop I might not. Ater going through all 14 of my originals I found 3 that were usable. Should be able to use gland rings with all of them. Rod
            "Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good." Thomas Sowell

Comment

Originally posted by Rowdy View Post
              If using a new exhaust manifold I would use the gland rings. If using a used manifold with more than 3/32" of droop I might not. Ater going through all 14 of my originals I found 3 that were usable. Should be able to use gland rings with all of them. Rod
              X2 I always match my intake to my exhaust manifolds, even if new. With accurate tools it's possible.
              Last edited by Dennis; 11-12-2017, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• Mark Maron
                Mark Maron commented
                Editing a comment
                i always plane them together and install the way mitch said exactly and never use gland rings.. I dont want to one day hear them in the muffler..>but thats just me....

Indeed, we have removed several from mufflers!!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• WayneT
                Manifold Torque
                by WayneT
                I just bought new manifolds off of Brattons and on page 63 of their catalog there is a note to install the two bolts that bolt the two manifolds together LOOSE, then torque the 4 manifold bolts to 25 to 30 pounds then finish tightening the two bolts that hold the manifolds together. Less Andrews says 45 pounds so I called Brattons and they say 25 to 30 so you do not snap the ears off the manifolds....
                02-26-2018, 08:56 AM
              • Steve Plucker
                Carbureor Problems
                by Steve Plucker
                OK...I have two assembled carburators and have a problem.

I can not seperate the two halves and believe me...I have tried.

I have tried soaking them in evaporust, Heating the only threaded area on the upper half...nothing.

Any other suggestions...I sure do not wan to ruin these.

Thanks.

Pluck...
                02-01-2020, 12:16 AM
              • Terry, NJ
                Hot oil finish for bolts?
                by Terry, NJ
                I'm thinking of finishing my bolts with heating, then quenching in drain oil. However, I'm concerned about possible heat damage to the bolts. Will heating the bolts in anyway damage or weaken them? Have these bolts been heat treated in any way? Hardened, annealed, drawn? Just painting them will make them susceptible to socket damage.
                Terry...
                08-24-2019, 08:39 AM
              • Steve Plucker
                Bolt oreintation on the Model A/AA Fords
                by Steve Plucker
                There are a few spots on the Model A/AA Ford where one can insert a bolt in either direction to attach a fixture.

Is there mention of specific "Correct Bolt Orientation" for any of the assemblies in the Standards OR can we put them in the way we think and be done with it?

For instance...which way does the bolt attachment go when assembling the generator to the engine?...
                03-28-2019, 12:16 AM
              • Jim Mason
                here's a bolt that eluded me for years
                by Jim Mason
                The parts book calls out square head bolt, square nut, cotterpin.

Yup, it's hex head bolt.......
                09-21-2017, 04:47 PM
              • Brian French
                Intake manifold
                by Brian French
                has anyone ever seen anything like this bolt before?

If so, what was it used for?

i replaced the intake manifold because the bolt had only 1 1/2 threads, and it created a serious vacuum leak.

Thank You;

Brian French
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.
                10-22-2017, 05:09 PM
              • plyfor
                Rear Float a Motor bolt tightening
                by plyfor
                Without discussing pros and cons of using FAM's, would like to revisit more thoughts on how much users tighten the biscuit bolts. 1, 2 turns, etc. past resistance ? Also , older instructions say to tighten until top clamping ring just can be rotated, while others say to slightly compress the biscuits.
                12-18-2019, 11:57 AM
              • Bob Warkentin
                Question: What are Torque requirements & order for intake/exhaust manifold nuts '31A.
                by Bob Warkentin
                Would like to know what the order and ft/lb specs are to torque the nuts for the intake/exhaust manifold. Also for the clamp nuts between manifold & exhaust pipe, and about application of high temp dope (between the union or around the sides).
                05-04-2019, 06:06 PM
              • Dennisford
                Rear radius rods to torque tube?
                by Dennisford
                New to site. Question: I have my rear axel and spring assy and backing plates installed in car.But didn't put in radius rods to torque tube. When I tried to install them I got pass side bolt to go into rod and torque tube slot but when i i tried to mount the drivers side radius rod the bolt wont go through the hole on drivers radius rod end. I know both radius rods are the same length but the bolt...
                11-17-2019, 10:11 PM
              • DaWizard
                Bolts
                by DaWizard
                While rummaging around in my various cans and butter tubs I come to find some original domed head bolts with a unique feature that I bet few know about. As you can see from the pictures, these are indeed domed bolts that I believe were used as valve cover bolts with split washers.

The unique feature is on the backside of the head, now after all this time, almost worn off are little bumps.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 2 photos.
                07-26-2018, 02:14 PM
              Working...
              X