Starter draw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter draw

I installed one of those buss 30 amp fuse blocks on my starter. The insulation was bad on wires from the ammeter to the junction box so I replaced those as well as adding the missing dash light. Today the weather was great so I decided to take a short drive around the neighborhood. I hooked up the battery and as soon as I hit the starter button, the fuse blew! I pulled out the multimeter and wiring diagram and check my latest "improvements". It all looks correct and I can't find anything grounded. I replaced the fuse and tried again with the same result. There is a receipt for a starter rebuild in the paperwork I got from the seller. Any chance the starter is drawing more than 30 amps? Because I haven't solved my light switch problem, there is no other wiring in the car.

The actual starter will draw close to 100 amps. Starters, even in modern cars, are not fused. The fuse holder mounted on the starter with the 30 amp fuse is for everything else except the starter. There is interference somewhere of the starter pedal linkage and a wire somewhere.

Remove the fuse, and have a second person sit in the car and step down on the started pedal while you are looking under the hood to see what is hitting what; something is shorting out

BTW when trouble shooting shorts, you can save on fuses by using a test lamp across the prongs of the fuse holder. When you find and disable the short, the light will go out. (You are using the short to light the light, clever). You cannot blow the light bulb with this trick
    Last edited by tbirdtbird; 11-10-2017, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Sounds like you ran the battery cable to the fuse stud, instead of leaving it on the original switch, which is where it must be.
      Only the smaller yellow wire goes to the large stud on the fuse holder.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• carolinamudwalker
        stuf you dont need to know
        by carolinamudwalker
        A widower was throwing out these manuals, If anyone would like to have any of them there yours for the postage. The second picture is a dash starter I made by screwing a brake rod into the starter and fabricating a bracket under the dash. I am sure it has been done before. Probably most model A's have a fuse mounted on the starter moter, but did you know that if it blows the engine shuts down. It...
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 3 photos.
        05-04-2018, 11:32 AM
      • canadian
        fuse holder.
        by canadian
        starter mounted fuse holder , is this original or aftermarket ?...
        02-05-2019, 10:43 AM
      • Mitch
        Fuse holder assy
        by Mitch
        What’s wrong with this picture?...
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        02-22-2018, 12:53 PM
      • GaryWa
        Fuse Block?
        by GaryWa
        Why do I have power both sides of fuse block? Everything else is tested good-lights horn etc. But battery drained down ! Short in ignition switch?
        04-17-2020, 11:53 AM
      • lpl87
        Blown Fuse affect timing ???
        by lpl87
        Well my A stranded me again today !!! Getting old. When I got it home the fuse on the starter had the end blown off. My voltage had been looking high on the
        alternator 10 amps but I thought it was just an inaccurate guage. Replaced the fuse but it won't start. Did something like this 3 months ago & it ended up the timing was off.
        Is there a connection ??? Not sure if I am cut...
        11-02-2017, 03:33 PM
      • Tom Wesenberg
        Hard to Push Starter Switch was an Easy Fix
        by Tom Wesenberg
        I know a lot of Model A's now use the starter mounted fuse, and this past Saturday I fixed a starter switch that you almost had to use both feet to get it to make contact. The fuse holder bracket was mounted UNDER the lip on the starter switch, so I moved it to the top side. Now it pushes very easy, as it should. Mounting the fuse under the lip will also make the switch set slanted to the copper button,...
        08-23-2017, 10:59 AM
      • WMWS
        Fuses
        by WMWS
        I am getting ready to put some fuses in my car. Standard 6 volt positive ground. The picture is of the electrical diagram from the Nov-Dec Model A News. I already have a fuse at A in the diagram. My question is will the fuse at B blow if I have a short in the lights or the horn. Can I get away with just the one fuse at B instead of three fuses. Of course if B does blow then the generator is out of...
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        02-17-2019, 12:56 PM
      • slammin
        Starter mounted fuse
        by slammin
        Well, another newbe question. Search feature didn't net any answers. In addition to a battery disconnect I plan to put a fuse on my starter. Some comments I have found warn of a blown fuse causing the generator to destroy itself. Is there a better method to protect the electrical system?...
        10-11-2017, 11:41 AM
      • AL in NY
        Additional Fuses
        by AL in NY
        Did anyone take notice of the fuse block acticle by Howard Denker in the latest issue of the "Model "A" News"? I really like his thoughts on the need for more fuses on the Model A. I have ordered one of the fuse blocks, but I'm going to mount it on the starter as I didn't like it's location on the generator. When I get it wired, I'll post some pictures.
        02-24-2019, 01:18 PM
      • Bobm90
        Auxiliary Start Button Installation
        by Bobm90
        Replacing the floor mounted starter rod with a
        dash mounted starter push button

Whatever reason you want to alter your stock vehicle is your own, mine was out of necessity . I had to do a lot of trial and error to accomplish it the correct way and couldn't find any easy to follow instructions on the matter so I decided to write up...
        04-25-2018, 04:13 PM
      Working...
      X