Shifting straight cut gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifting straight cut gears

FYI this weekend nascar is using straight cut gears and not using the clutch to change from 4th to 3rd and back to 4th! If you want to see how they shift with out using a clutch and shift straight cut gears watch the race!

Like shifting a 13 speed fuller

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• JohnB15632
      Model A Transmission double clutching
      by JohnB15632
      I am familiar with double clutching, I was required to do this in the firetruck that I drove when I was much younger. Now, I am understanding that the Model A transmission must use double clutching.

Now, why must double clutching be used? I have never been told why it must be used.

Can anyone out there explain this to me?

Much thanks,
      02-03-2019, 03:20 PM
    • BillEbob
      Fitting A/T into Model "A"
      by BillEbob
      '31 Vicky -- getting to the point where I (shortly) won't be able to shift it (various medical conditions.)

Re-built engine only has @ 10k miles.

W/O a total drivetrain replacement, what is the most straight forward A/T install?

How about a Ford C-3 or C-4?

Bill
      06-27-2018, 10:33 PM
    • Fixitphil
      Transmission shift gear grinding
      by Fixitphil
      Just lately my stock transmission has been grinding a lot going into 2nd and 3rd in my 1931 Sedan.
      I have a 1931 Sport Coupe with stock tranny but am not having the same problem.

My technique has always been to shift slowly in the Sedan or Coupe between gears (not double shift) and I have zero to little grinding.
      On the Sedan I've tried double shifting; slow shifting and am...
      06-30-2020, 04:38 PM
    • Mike85212
      Shifting problem
      by Mike85212
      My car is a ‘31 Slant Window Sedan. It does have a lightened flywheel and a V-8 clutch. Stock transmission. Whenever I shift from first to second if I continue to push the shifter forward it will continue and grind gears as if the clutch wasn’t working. I only have this problem going into second. If I stop it will easily shift into second ....only when I go through second. I have been driving...
      01-26-2019, 11:16 PM
    • Mickey
      need transmission help
      by Mickey
      I am preparing to remove the body of my coupe. Everything ready. went to push it outside and it won't move. I had pulled the transmission tower and now it appears to be in gear. Problem is I can't get the tower back in place to shift it. The two pictures show where things are. It appears the tower is in neutral but I have no idea where the transmission is. I cant get the two top gears far enough apart...
      02-04-2019, 03:04 PM
    • wildcat
      1929 Ford A Clutch
      by wildcat
      Hello, When the car is cold you can select any gear from a standstill without any grinding of the gears. Once it has been running for 20 minutes, if you start the car and try and select a gear the gears will grind. Is this an adjustment issue or do I have another issue?
      12-18-2018, 08:24 PM
    • Chuck Sea/Tac
      Can’t disengage clutch
      by Chuck Sea/Tac
      New clutch plate, good pressure plate and flywheel. Worked good before I pulled engine and tranny for freshen up and repairs.i adjusted pp at just .010” over 11/16”.it grinds gears( all new) and if I get in gear, the car is shuddering trying to move, with the clutch pedal in.Right now, the free play needs to be loosened a turn or two on the trunion. The clutch was purchased from brattons about...
      02-16-2020, 07:05 PM
    • Tgenardi
      Bad clutch??
      by Tgenardi
      Just purchased a 1930 Model A with a 1980 Jeep engine and 1939 transmission from what I was told. It may have an adapter between bell housing and transmission. When you put the clutch in, you can change gears, but the vehicle doesn't move. The previous owner said it just went out as she had other potential buyers test driving the vehicle. The clutch pedal is kind of soft.
      I'm looking for some...
      08-06-2018, 08:59 AM
    • ClaudeC
      1933 ford model B 4 cylinder needs clutch adjustment?
      by ClaudeC
      Broke down yesterday.
      In heavy stop and go traffic for 1/2 hour...
      engine stalled.
      Could restart easily but could not get the car in gear...very heavy grinding.
      Had car towed home.
      Was able to restart and shift gears and drive into my garage.
      I suspect clutch could not depress enough?
      any suggestion about adjusting the clutch?
      06-26-2019, 07:36 AM
    • canadian
      clutch chattter
      by canadian
      describe clutch chatter in a Model A. symptoms and sounds
      05-06-2019, 08:05 AM
    Working...
    X