Body mount pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body mount pads

On MY 31 Victoria with one round rubber body mount pad under the cowl mounts the remaining body mount locations have a space about twice that thickness. Do I put the rectangular rubber pads against the wood subfloor and then use round rubber shims under those on top of the splash shields and body mount brackets or do I use more of the rectangular rubber pads? The doors line up perfectly so I just want to fill the space to tighten all the mounting bolts evenly.

If you pull it down does it throw the doors off? Was the frame straight?
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

You can always use wood shingles for spacers to get the alignment as you like for doors and hood.
      You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
        If you pull it down does it throw the doors off? Was the frame straight?
        The frame is straight, if I tried to pull it down it would bind the doors. This is the slight gap between the wood subframe and frame.

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          Well then shim away

Art, I was in the same situation as you in the past for body mount pads. At first I bought the pad kit and then realized when I took them out of the package they had no reinforcement in the rubber like my originals had. I looked online again for pads but decided to get some pad material at the hardware store, found mine at OSH hardware. They called it vacuum diaphragm something or other. Anyway it was available in 1/16" and 1/8" thickness and have the cloth reinforcement. I cut all of them matching them to the thickness of my original pads. I also used some for my radiator. Everything aligns perfect now, doors and hood.

Comment

Thanks Dennis, I did notice they were just rubber with no center reinforcement. I will try the local hardware stores.

Comment

I found a semi's mud flap laying on the side of the road. It makes good thick reinforced pad material.
            There is a belting shop here in the cities, and when I asked about buying some shim material for my Model A, he just gave me a couple square feet.

Comment

You can also get some belting at the local coop when they change out the buckets in the leg of their elevator many of these are a a heavy reinforced belting then you can remove the plastic buckets as they make great parts bins our local coop gave them to me and my neighbor.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Towd56
                Best way to adjust doors
                by Towd56
                can anyone educate me on the best way to adjust doors on a pickup? I know the body mount rubber shims are part of the process. Right now both doors line up perfect with body lines on cowl but the back of the door by the latch is way out of whack
                05-25-2017, 06:59 AM
              • Towd56
                Best way to adjust doors
                by Towd56
                can anyone educate me on the best way to adjust doors on a pickup? I know the body mount rubber shims are part of the process. Right now both doors line up perfect with body lines on cowl but the back of the door by the latch is way out of whack
                05-25-2017, 06:59 AM
              • Bill G
                Another FAM question
                by Bill G
                I have searched the forum for this specific question but have not found a specific answer, so maybe it's worth asking.

For a Float-a-Motor mount, is both an inner and outer rubber pad required?

My car came with FAMs and I have discovered that they are put in wrong. Between the frame FAM mount and the frame itself, there is a rubber pad (inside). The bolts go through and...
                12-07-2020, 11:14 PM
              • kennycathome
                O.K., ready for door alignment!
                by kennycathome
                30 Tudor, want to line up the doors and then remove before paint. Should the body be on the frame or can I level it the body flat off he frame? Front on left door at hinges is too low, body lines about 3/16ths to high. I realize you can't shim the body for that. Man! Want it right. Basket case car when I got it and a battle ever since. I love it!...
                10-26-2020, 09:12 PM
              • Dennis
                Engine mount rubber pad
                by Dennis
                I realize this is a close up but I’ve never seen an engine mount pad made by Firestone. I’m wondering if this is original part ......
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.
                01-29-2020, 08:33 PM
              • Dennis
                Body to frame webbing and rubber pads
                by Dennis
                What's the consensus here on body to frame webbing? I picked up a package today from a local vendor that was in a Vintiques bag, does not have the asphalt coating. I can coat them, that's not a problem. Henry's makes a spray on primer that looks like it might work. Here's another doubt I have with it and it is narrow compared to the original webbing I took off. My webbing measures 1-3/4"...
                06-16-2017, 02:09 AM
              • Terry, NJ
                How do you shim a fordor so the doors will close?
                by Terry, NJ
                As the title says, how do you shim a fordor (T.S.) so I can close it's doors? I've got lots of 1/8 " rubber shims. I also put strips (anti squeak) on the frame rails. The car also has new sills. I was playing with it last night. I'm getting P.O.ed about that car just sitting there waiting to run, but the doors have to close right! Any suggestions?
                Terry...
                10-21-2019, 08:11 PM
              • Ray Horton
                Engine fit question - new thinner rear motor mount rubber. UPDATE
                by Ray Horton
                I plan to install my rebuilt engine in my coupe tomorrow. I put new rear motor mount rubber in, but have not tightened up the bolts yet (per Les Andrews's suggestion.) My mounts now measure 16-3/4" inside, side to side. My flywheel housing measures 16-7/8". The new rubber makes the fit space1/8" too narrow. I don't have a frame spreader. It appears as though tightening the mount bo...
                08-19-2017, 07:42 PM
              • Jedmundcars
                Cowl Adjustment Next Week. Finally!
                by Jedmundcars
                I've spent the last 6 months getting Clarabelle up to speed with repairs and maintenance. Feel good about taking her out without worrying. Gonna start cowl adjustment Monday. Just want to run my plan by you guys for suggestions. Have researched everything from Marco and others.
                Monday morning go to frame shop and have it checked/repaired for sagging. This guy did a old Series 3 Land Rover for...
                10-12-2019, 03:37 PM
              • Mickey
                Here's my plan to remount the body.
                by Mickey
                Looks like I may be moving and need to get the coupe body back on the frame. It isn't completed yet but what's left can be done with it on the frame. It'll just be a harder work. Here's the problem. At least the first one. I had to replace the sub-rails from mid-door back and of course there are no holes for the rear mount bolts at the cross member. My plan is to mount with the front bolts, mark the...
                10-02-2019, 08:36 AM
              Working...
              X