fuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuses

Just another thought on fuses. There was an article in the Sept/Oct 2013 Model A News page 21 about adding a second fuse to the lights and horn circuit. In my case the fuse on top of the starter is 30 amp and the second fuse is 20 amp. The theory being you don't want your engine shutting down with no place to pull over as in 4 lanes of traffic. (yes it happened) This of course would not help in the case of a short in the ammeter circuit. Bob New Bern N.C.

Good thought. In addition to the above, we carry spare fuses, spare circuit breakers (Mitch has a number for a Bussman breaker that replaces the fuses) and a pair of jumper wires. Have used the jumpers once to get going again fast in a traffic situation

Comment

Tbird, if your fuse blew out wouldn't there be a short someplace??

Comment

• tbirdtbird
        tbirdtbird commented
        Editing a comment
        Not always. I have never had a fuse blow from a short, although it can obviously happen.
        Fuses get tired, as any electrician can attest to, and the quality of the fuses today is not what it was 30 years ago. The time I needed a jumper in a traffic situation, the Bussman circuit breaker actually failed in the open position.

You always have to think about that 5-letter country nipping at your heels

I have had the glass fuses lose contact inside the metal cap many times when there was no short. These are good quality fuses so i am not sure if it is from vibration or that they are cheaply made. Many use ATC style fuses

As tbird mentioned i use a breaker
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Mitch, are breaker fuses the type that if they blow for some reason you can wait a few minutes and they cool off and then there good to go again. If so I have one on my car.

Comment

There are 2 sides to them BATT & Load so install it correctly
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          3 ~ Tudor's
          Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I didn't know that. Will it not work right if backwards? Does it say batt or load? What happens if backwards

Comment

Your not protected!

E9755CB1-596E-438C-9B12-F1C1B36D8385L0001.jpg
              3 ~ Tudor's
              Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                The Bussmann part # is CBF-30

I recently installed a fuse panel to separate most of my circuits. I has 12 separate fuse terminals and 12 ground terminals. I made the mounting plate from sheet metal that uses 2 existing holes one on the rh side for the conduit clamp on the firewall and the other a bolt on the clamp at the bottom of the tank top of the cowl. I think Carl G has a fuse block similar or like this. I bought mine from Amazon.
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis View Post
                I recently installed a fuse panel to separate most of my circuits. I has 12 separate fuse terminals and 12 ground terminals. I made the mounting plate from sheet metal that uses 2 existing holes one on the rh side for the conduit clamp on the firewall and the other a bolt on the clamp at the bottom of the tank top of the cowl. I think Carl G has a fuse block similar or like this. I bought mine from Amazon.
                With 12 separate fuses on a Model A, you must be running a mobile penny arcade. LOL

Comment

• Dennis
                  Dennis commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You think I got carried away? Wait til you see my coolant filter setup! It's my excuse for getting ready for some long tours.

Dennis are you just using half of the box? 6 of them
                3 ~ Tudor's
                Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Dennis
                  Dennis commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Actually 7 for now. Later I might use one for the ignition that is at the starter yet.

Originally posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post

With 12 separate fuses on a Model A, you must be running a mobile penny arcade. LOL
                That is kinda what I was thinking, not many circuits to protect. Nice set up, I like it.

Comment

Yeah LOL! I'm only using 7 of them. Headlights, turn signals, horn, wiper, tachometer, accessory plug, fuel pump. I left the fuse down by the starter for the ignition, I guess I could eliminate that and use one more on my panel.

Comment

• pAAt
                    pAAt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dennis do you have a schematic on your set up ? Like schematics for dummies Pat