A Tip for Later Doing a Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tip for Later Doing a Search

I thought of this about 5 years ago, but wish I had thought to do it from the first day I got a computer in 2001.
    I was searching the web for 1928 radiator fan shroud pictures for Pluck, and I had to check a lot of threads with no pictures.
    For the past 5 years I try to remember to always use the word "picture" when I post a picture of anything.
    "Here's a picture of the radiator", rather than "Here's the radiator" will weed out all the posts with no pictures.

I also use Google "Images" to see the pics.
    When searching for something specific, try using quotes to minimize the guesswork for Google search. When you put your search parameters in quotes, it tells the search engine to search for the whole phrase.
    There may be an instance where you need to Google search for articles or content on a certain website. The syntax is very simple.
    • Pluck Radiators site:VintageFordForum.com

Sometimes you may find yourself searching for a word with an ambiguous meaning. An example is Mustang. When you Google search for Mustang, you may get results for both the car made by Ford or the horse. If you want to cut one out, use the hyphen to tell the engine to ignore content with one of the other. See the example below.
    • Mustang -car

Comment

Simple.. Smart.

Whenever I do research for anything on the internet, I will pose the subject in three or four different question structures.

You will be surprised just how one word change could get you exactly what you want in an answer..

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Mitch
        Another search option
        by Mitch
        I was PM'ed about the sites ability to narrow down a search better by individual forums, as the main search box above (top right) will give you an overall result.

Go to NEW TOPICS at the top left underneath Forums

then click ADVANCED SEARCH

this opens up the advance search box

by clicking SOURCES you can limit your search to an individual forum...
        06-23-2017, 07:07 AM
      • pAAt
        Search function
        by pAAt
        I used the search function top right of the page this morning for the first time and it works Great !! Thanks Mitch for not making me go to Google and then get redirected back to your site for the info. I was spending a lot of time on the other site doing just that. Looks like rain again, here in Minnesota, Good day !
        10-03-2017, 07:56 AM
      • Chuck Sea/Tac
        Search function
        by Chuck Sea/Tac
        Is there a search function?
        12-29-2020, 02:26 PM
      • Grit Kid
        This supplier came up in an on-line search.
        by Grit Kid
        Had not heard for them. Anyone done any business with them?

Model A & Model T Parts - Smith and Jones Antique Auto Parts (snjparts.com)
        03-09-2022, 08:37 AM
      • Apperloo
        Search
        by Apperloo
        Is there a search and I’m just not seeing it?
        02-19-2020, 11:08 PM
      • Jordan
        Electric Fan
        by Jordan
        I am just curious if anyone here has ever installed an electric fan on the front of their Model A radiator. Before you scold me, I know it won't look right... but I have a reason. Here in Texas it gets extremely hot & I drive my car year round. I have an AC so when it's 108* outside, I am comfortable in the car. When it's this hot outside, my car does not overheat. Going 55 MPH down the highway...
        03-21-2019, 11:25 AM
      • Chambr
        Radiator recore or new
        by Chambr
        So - on a bit of a budget - radiator is bad on my 31 Tudor ... like it threw the fan at one time before me ....prices are incredibly high for new radiators ranging from 590 to 1000 from what i have found. I tried 2 of the aluminum replacements - dont fit (1" to short side to side) ..

Looking to see if anyone knows of a place that can recore my original (looks brass) near Lake Mary...
        10-20-2021, 12:30 PM
      • Paul
        Collectables "What have you found today"
        by Paul
        I thought I would start a new thread on collectables where you can post a picture and someone can tell you exactly what you have. Plus it is fun to see what other people have found.

I can Google and find information on the Canadian buffalo radiator badges. They were used for Park Passes for their National parks, but I cannot find anything on my Yellowstone Badge....
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 2 photos.
        11-11-2017, 07:21 PM
      • bambooboy
        kidde fire extinguishers
        by bambooboy
        thought i had posted this last week on the recall,did a search, did not find it.anyhow check kidde web site for your model& date,back to 1973 i think.got on this the day of recall. i have 5, 2 new ones came today along with postage for sending old ones back. tom
        11-17-2017, 05:37 PM
      Working...
      X