Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seperating drums from hubs

hows the easiest way to do this? Thanks

It takes a swedge cutter since the studs are swedged after the hub and drum are put together and it will also take new studs which will have to be swaged. What are you trying to do and where are you located then maybe we can help you better.

Comment

I use a 1/2" dia. metal cutting hole saw to cut the swedges. Watch the depth of the cut if you are going to re-use the drum.

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        I do the same

• Rowdy
        Rowdy commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought it was a 5/8" hole saw with a 1/2" ID. Like the one sold at Ace. Rod

Originally posted by paul griesse View Post
      hows the easiest way to do this? Thanks
      DYNAMITE love that stuff, works on everything.

Comment

Thanks guys---I`ll do that swedge cut on the studs (dynamite if that won`t work...) I plan to replace the 4 drums--too far out of round on the fronts---rears need turned but nobody around here can do them---guess i could rig up something on my lathe. We put 2000 miles on this car on a Spain/portugal tour this summer and wore out the brakes in the mountains. Thanks, Paul

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          I can cut the rear drums for you but i'm a little far from Spain

I watched a video on U tube, guy had a special drill to cut the swage. Look for the tool, did not find one. I did not think of the metal hole saw.
        Good deal, got one of those.

Comment

A guy in our club made a cutter by drilling a hole in a steel rod for the stud, then cut a slit to hold a small triangular carbide bit as used on cutting bits for metal lathes. The bit has a hole in the center for a screw to hold it in place. I'm planning to make a tool like that also.

Comment

I did this probably the hard way but I drilled down the center of the stud, after that I took a cut off wheel and cut most of the stud down then I drilled with a big bit to cut most of the chamber then press what was left out took very little press to do but be sure to support the hub so you do not bend it never even thought about a hole saw but a great idea but then is there is a long way to do things I will do it.

Comment

Paul and Mitch, do you remove the pilot drill from a regular hole saw, or is there something special to it?

Comment

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes Ed remove it

Thanks.

Comment

I found this one, little pricey for the avg guy to use a couple of times. Could rent it out I guess.
                https://goodson.com/products/swedge-...nt=33471737798

Comment

• Mitch
                  Mitch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Why not just get a metal hole saw as mentioned?

Originally posted by Ed H View Post
                I found this one, little pricey for the avg guy to use a couple of times. Could rent it out I guess.
                https://goodson.com/products/swedge-...nt=33471737798
                Good point, no doubt will do that. I am a tool freak, love tools.

Comment

• Mitch
                  Mitch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Me too

This is what I use, about $8 shipped on Ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dewalt-D180...UAAOSwDmtZlfsG

Bob
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• CarlG
                  CarlG commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Will this do 20 studs (a complete set)? or would you have to use several to get the job done?

• BNCHIEF
                  BNCHIEF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Carl it should but I would use a cutting oil

Related Topics

Collapse

• wrndln
                Brake drum/hub question
                by wrndln
                I have a brake drum/hub that has 2 broken off studs. I have a 12 ton press. Will a 12 ton press, press out the broken studs and install new ones? I have no idea how much pressure it takes to press out and in studs. I am not sure if there is a "collar" on the wheel side that needs to be removed before attempting to press out the broken studs. If anyone has done what I am trying to do,...
                09-20-2019, 01:01 PM
              • wrndln
                Types of rear brake drums
                by wrndln
                I guess this would qualify as a fine point topic. There are two styles of stamped rear brake drum/hubs. The first style has a raised area above where the tapered part of the axle is inside the drum/hub. The second style has a recessed groove in the same area. I am trying to find out when Ford switched from raised to recessed drum/hubs. I suppose that Ford may have used both interchangeably until they...
                02-28-2020, 05:33 PM
              • Newaowner
                model a brake drum removal
                by Newaowner
                Can anyone give me info on how to get rear brake drum off a model a...
                03-21-2019, 02:40 PM
              • mfarley
                Original brake drums
                by mfarley
                I need to have some original-style drums turned. What is the minimum wall thickness before I should not use the drums any longer?
                07-22-2019, 09:26 AM
              • wrndln
                Brake drum thickness
                by wrndln
                I tried to search for the thickness for brake drums that provide enough material to be safe, but I couldn't find anything. I have seen information on ********, but I can't remember what the minimum thickness was. I know it is a little subjective, but I have some drums that are too thin and some that appear to maybe be OK. I know the inside original dimension is 11", but I don't have a inside...
                10-10-2019, 11:06 AM
              • conaway2
                Replacing lug in wheel hub
                by conaway2
                One of the lugs in a front wheel hub needs to be replaced - is this something I can do with hand tools, or do I need access to a press ??

thanks - JIm
                05-15-2020, 09:30 AM
              • wrndln
                Rear brake hubs/drums
                by wrndln
                I am trying to figure out what brake hubs/drums were originally used for 28 and 29 vehicles. I know they are interchangeable, but I would like to use the correct hubs/drums for my vehicles. All my model A's (four of them) are between Sept 28 and July 29. The early hubs have a raised area on them - first picture. Later hubs had a recessed groove on the hubs - second picture. I looked through...
                09-09-2019, 11:06 AM
              • Bobm90
                Different Brake drum
                by Bobm90
                I have visited this topic before about having 2 different brake drums on the front of my car. Someone said this brake drum came off a late model 1931 Model A, I have searched every resource I have to substantiate this but alas I can find no pictures or reference to it. I am having a EXTREME brake chatter, mostly noticeable the first few times I step on the brakes after the car has been sitting,...
                09-15-2018, 07:26 AM
              • 1930 Closed Cab PU
                Removing Wheels/Drums
                by 1930 Closed Cab PU
                Am starting to prepare for this springs to do list, another month or 2 will be getting the truck out of storage. A year ago had a ton of mechanical work done on my truck, including upgrading to cast drums and new shoes/linings. Ran out of funds so did not have a full restore brake job done. Brakes before were not great, but are now very iffy, have to give tons of distance to start braking. Late...
                02-26-2020, 10:10 AM
              • Foxfire
                Question on cast iron brake drums
                by Foxfire
                When were reproduction cast iron drums introduced? The key word being reproduction. I have some cast iron drums on my A but they are not as well machined as those currently available from vendors. Decades ago it was the late 31's from Ford that were highly sought after. I'm assuming because nothing else was available. I'm trying to date the drums I have. Here's pictures of a current drum and...
                04-02-2018, 04:50 PM
              Working...
              X