Spark Plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Plugs

I am currently using these Autolite 3076 spark plugs. They are running dry and black. I have read/seen/heard that perhaps a hotter burning spark plug would work better.

Thoughts? Advice? Recommendations?

Thanks,
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

You can try a 3X or a W18, depending on what you want to spend. See this Tech thread post #1

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...and-dissection
    4~ Tudor's
    1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

That's a lot of carbon. Maybe running rich. Adjustment and/or a carb problem.

Comment

It does look like its running a bit rich, but, the 3076 is, I think, is a bit cold for these monsters. I prefer 3077 but can't find them anymore. An 18 or 20 series Champion may work better.

Comment

Hi John,

If that's the spark plugs from your same difficult engine, and it is now running fine, what happened to your former retarded timing?

Comment

I run 3076 and the car runs fine with them. Like you, I had black plugs with the 3076, so I went with W18s. The car did not run as well with them as it did with the 3076. I had been running the GAV at 3/4+, so I started driving with no GAV or at 1/4. Presto, clean 3076 plugs. If you have an air filter it could be starving car for air, try running a little with less GAV and/or no filter and keep checking till plugs come out clean.

Comment

I prefer an extended tip plug, seems they are getting hard to find in the warmer heat ranges.

Comment

Thoughts? Advice? Recommendations?

After thinking about the above three (3) questions; and the above several mentioning of possibly running too rich, maybe try considering a typical, usually overlooked, possibly formerly improperly rebuilt (90+) year old Model A carburetor that might be struggling to produce a well balanced fuel mixture.

Most Senior Model A carburetors are like us Seniors and not very computer literate, hence, these senior carburetors cannot respond to modern mechanics' computerized testing equipment like our modern fuel injectors.

These Senior carburetors often communicate by sending smoke signals to their upper level spark plug companions. They send layers of black soot so we Senior Model A owners can notice their Senior carburetor Distress Signals.

Smiling now and then reduces stress and helps us not only to think outside of the box ...... but also allow us to enjoy Life and get out of the box!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Dennis
                  Spark plugs
                  by Dennis
                  Can anybody tell me about a C-16C Champion spark plug? I inherited a set with my PU. They have an electrode similar to 3X and hex size is the same....
                  12-15-2020, 03:44 PM
                • dmdeaton
                  Spark Plugs
                  by dmdeaton
                  What spark plugs are you guys running and where is the best place to order some?
                  08-29-2017, 02:39 PM
                • carolinamudwalker
                  Spark plugs
                  by carolinamudwalker
                  Just pulled the plugs after the grandfather mountain tour 900+ miles and the porcelain is as white as snow. TT-10 plugs, car ran great. Added 4 oz MMO per fill up. Not enough miles for the tanning or am I running lean? Also, how many times should you re-use the copper spark plug gaskets?
                  08-02-2020, 08:27 AM
                • MickyDC
                  Amazon 3X spark plugs
                  by MickyDC
                  Has anyone bought and tested the Champion 3x spark plugs from Amazon?
                  04-14-2022, 12:59 PM
                • Fordman
                  What would cause this spark issue at the plugs?
                  by Fordman
                  What would cause the engine to run on only #3 and 4 cylinders?

With the car running I pulled the spark plug lead from the top of each spark plug about 1-2 inches and got a good spark at each plug.

But, when I totally removed the wire from plugs 1 and 2 the car made no change in running or sound or rpms. 3 and 4 when the plug wire was removed the car immediately dropped rpms...
                  06-23-2022, 11:31 PM
                • Grit Kid
                  Model A spark plugs....?
                  by Grit Kid
                  just what were the spark plugs that were in the engines when they rolled off the assembly line?
                  07-10-2022, 07:23 AM
                • MANYHERRAMIENTAS
                  Change Spark plug
                  by MANYHERRAMIENTAS
                  this is the engine of my Ford A and I would like to change the spark plugs
                  I could recommend some, I like the 3x style but I do not know if they are the best
                  Thank
                  04-06-2018, 11:58 AM
                • tbirdtbird
                  Spark plugs
                  by tbirdtbird
                  There was a recent discussion regarding spark plug length and performance.

We are not fine point here, and run the Motorcraft TT10 plugs, a known acceptable replacement for the Champion 3X.

The pix show the length difference between the newly arrived Jordan J-3 plugs and the TT10 plugs. Also shown is the Jordan box..

Viewers can determine for themselves if there...
                  10-26-2019, 04:22 PM
                • wensum
                  Front two plugs fouling
                  by wensum
                  My speedster has a modified motor with 7:1 head and twin Stromberg carbies off early Holdens amongst many modifications.
                  It has run strongly for 15,000 miles but is now fouling the front two plugs at idle and there appears to be no spark at idle.
                  I can short out the front two plugs with a screwdriver with only a very weak spark just visible whilst the rear two have a strong spark and...
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 3 photos.
                  07-13-2020, 10:52 PM
                • ndnchf
                  Splitdorf Spark Plugs
                  by ndnchf
                  I know they are not original to the model A, but Splitdorf spark plugs were very popular back in the day. The correct model A plug is a #8. I'm curious to know - does anyone runs them in an A model?

I have a long Splitdorf history so to speak. Long ago, I used to restore Splitdorf generators used on motorcycles of the teens - 1920s. I used to run Splitdorf plugs in my antique motorcycles...
                  04-17-2022, 05:57 AM
                Working...
                X