Muffler question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muffler question

Our muffler when tapped on the outside creates a clunking sound that may indicate something is loose inside. Could it be the baffles? We replaced the rear tail pipe clamp with a flexible type mount so there is no effect from that.

It could be loose baffles, or nuts a rodent carried into the muffler. I only wanted to buy a muffler once, so I bought the stainless Aries.

Comment

Along with what Tom mentioned I have heard of the gland rings melting down and going into the muffler
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• tbirdtbird
        tbirdtbird commented
        Editing a comment
        another reason I pass on the gland rings; we have fished several out of mufflers

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        And i still use them

yes, my new one has a ring to it when a wrench drops on it.

Comment

We found one gland ring inside when removed for engine rebuild and that was it. Am not sure who's muffler it is but fits and works well.Short of replacing it, we've never heard a ring or clanking sound on an A muffler when tapped on the side with a rubber hammer.

Comment

• BILL WILLIAMSON
          BILL WILLIAMSON commented
          Editing a comment
          One Guy heard a "plink" while puttin' his manifold on, later, he had an unusual muffler rattle. +=*$^$$#%
          Dad Laffing

Related Topics

Collapse

• Captndan
        muffler and tail pipe
        by Captndan
        Is it better to buy one complete from a supplier or have one made at the local muffler shop?
        07-19-2019, 12:23 PM
      • Dennis
        Aries muffler
        by Dennis
        i just tried to get on Aries website and found nothing. Anybody else have that problem?
        08-25-2019, 05:08 AM
      • ClaudeC
        connecting muffler to exhaust pipes without welding
        by ClaudeC
        Where Can I purchase couplings that can be used to connect muffler to exhaust pipe without welding? I assume it would be a thinner fitting that inserts into the muffler and exhaust tube then is clamped in place.
        03-30-2018, 08:35 AM
      • Jim Mason
        rods original muffler...
        by Jim Mason
        So which has less point deduction. An original muffler but wrong shape inket for year. Or Aries repop of the right shape for year but repop....
        09-06-2019, 05:10 PM
      • dmdeaton
        Muffler Questions
        by dmdeaton
        Ok, our roadster came to us with a stainless muffler and pipe. I have slowly been stripping off most of the period style accessories that came with it. Too much bling. After helping a friend swap out engines in his, I noticed the nice Model A exhaust tone with his running. Mine doesn't sound like this, not bad, but not the slight whistle at idle? What muffler setup is a good stock replacement?
        06-03-2018, 08:45 AM
      • BNCHIEF
        Heat abatement in your Model a
        by BNCHIEF
        I tried a little experiment in my model a my old muffler was a tinny cheap thing so i bought a new aries muffler. I wrapped this muffler with the header wrap which you can buy at auto parts stores. I wrapped the whole muffler starting just below where the muffler clamps to the manifold and went down all the way to the muffler itself and did not wrap the bell part but started wrapping again at the...
        09-14-2017, 06:04 AM
      • Mitch
        Muffler dissection
        by Mitch
        Muffler longevity and timing goes hand in hand. This one was set 180 degrees out
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        12-31-2018, 10:34 PM
      • Dennis
        Exhaust pipe rattle
        by Dennis
        Does your exhaust pipe rattle at certain rpm? Recently I noticed at certain rpm or when I back off the throttle I get this rattling sound that sounds like it's coming from the exhaust pipe. I know it's not the engine pans, ran without them for a road test. Everything else is tight and when I bump it with the palm of my hand no rattle. If I bump the exhaust pipe after the muffler body I can get...
        12-20-2017, 05:43 PM
      • Gary D
        Model A Muffler-HOG 301
        by Gary D
        I recently obtained a Model A muffler with HOG 301 stamped on the muffler. Does anyone know the origin or manufacturer of this unit? Thanks for any info! Gary
        02-29-2020, 03:34 PM
      • plyfor
        Muffler manifold connection
        by plyfor
        Are folks using sleeves , copper gaskets, etc. between the manifold and muffler pipe?
        Not sure what was originally used.
        02-22-2018, 02:52 PM
      Working...
      X