Vintage Precision Thermostat Housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Precision Thermostat Housing

Anyone use this housing? Looks like it is made pretty good.

It's outstanding. I've been using it for quite a while now. Everyone that sees mine wants (and buys) one.
    Alaskan A's
    Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
    Model A Ford Club of America
    Model A Restorers Club
    Antique Automobile Club of America
    Mullins Owners Club

Comment

Mine is in the middle of the 2 hoses, along with the temp sensor. I think I will order one. I wish they had online ordering.
      Last edited by dmdeaton; 10-22-2017, 09:57 PM.

Comment

• Dennis
        Dennis commented
        Editing a comment
        I think her name is Katie. Anyway real nice folks to talk to on the phone. Sometimes we all need to step back in time and order the old fashioned way.

• A29tudor
        A29tudor commented
        Editing a comment
        Call them. They take orders.

Hey, when you remove the current one, send it to me for experimenting, please?
      You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• dmdeaton
        dmdeaton commented
        Editing a comment
        Wiz, pm me your address and I will do it. Might be a few weeks. Going to order one today and working out of town a lot right now. I will install it on a weekend.

Originally posted by CarlG View Post
      It's outstanding. I've been using it for quite a while now. Everyone that sees mine wants (and buys) one.
      Yeah, thanks to Carl talking about his I couldn't live without one. Maybe with some luck I'll be splashing some coolant on mine for the first time tomorrow.

Comment

maybe it is just me, but I see no pic or link.....what housing are we referring to

Comment

• CarlG
          CarlG commented
          Editing a comment
          See post #10 below

You can view the housing here: http://www.vintageprecision.com/prod...ing/index.html
        It is on my want list. I emailed a few questions to them and they responded quickly. I've only seen good reports about the housing.

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Model A's and of course the famous AA's

Comment

That is the best way to go for a thermostat I am using mine to hook up a heater hose on the big post and a temp sender on the small port put a gano filter in the top hose and your all set. Well made and nice people to deal with as well approved by Carl and me.

Comment

• DaWizard
              DaWizard commented
              Editing a comment
              That Gano filter is a very slick design, I must impress upon you to clean it often if you find you are collecting junk from the motor. It can restrict the flow of coolant if left unattended.

Here are some photos found on the VP web page: http://www.vintageprecision.com/prod...ostat_housing/

The second picture shows the way everything fits together, with the thermostat in the middle and the top bolted to the bottom with an o-ring seal. Takes about 5 minutes to change out the t-stat as well as making it easy to get at the upper radiator hose to do other tasks. It also shows the by-pass built in to the housing eliminating the need to drill holes in the thermostat. Spare thermostats (and other temp settings) are available at your local parts houses (NAPA, etc).
            This gallery has 2 photos.
            Last edited by CarlG; 10-23-2017, 12:40 PM.
            Alaskan A's
            Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
            Model A Ford Club of America
            Model A Restorers Club
            Antique Automobile Club of America
            Mullins Owners Club

Comment

• A29tudor
              A29tudor commented
              Editing a comment
              I have been using one for a year and like the results. Much quicker warm up in winter, almost as fast as modern engines and much more stable temperature when operating in hot, 100 degrees + and cold weather, 30 degrees. Got 4 for some of our club members and results are similar. Be sure to start with a good clean engine and radiator. You can't fix a overheating problem with a thermostat if the radiator and engine aren't working correctly.

They state it fits both early and late cars. It also says to re use your upper hose. Since upper hoses are different for early and late cars, how is this going to work?
            Bill
            http://www.brauchauto.com/
            Eastern Connecticut

Comment

• CarlG
              CarlG commented
              Editing a comment
              The hose difference is based on where the radiator inlet is, not on where the engine outlet is. All engines use the same water outlet, whether it be the original or the VP unit.

Been using it for about 5 years, just installed on my new sedan and LOVE IT.... Easy, to use, clean and no worries on that goose neck anymore, Has a perfect spot for the thermostat. Here are some shots for you. You can also see how i ran it so it goes inside the junction box....
            This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

• Mitch
              Mitch commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice double wammy fuel bulb setup

• Mark Maron
              Mark Maron commented
              Editing a comment
              Mitch I'm running a B carb, which does not as you know have a side bowl, so i OVER Indulge....Gas tank Filter, Firewall Filter and Fuel bowl on the entrance to the carb...

I went with the cast unit with the thermostat probe, threaded port. I have had perfect results with this.

I did make make sure it was flat before I installed it, by putting a 320 grit sandpaper sheet on my table saw top, and carefully slid the base across.

Just My Experience ;

Brian French

Comment

• DaWizard
              DaWizard commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey Brian, when was the last time you cleaned out that fuel sediment bowl? That thing looks almost like you are running fuel oil as gas.

When I bought the car, it had been setting a long time, and the fuel was nasty. The tank cleaned up very well, but I did not clean the bowl, just flushed it. The fuel valve and pencil filter were junk. I was concerned about opening the bowl, and reassembling without any leaks.

Right or wrong, I run premium gas, and 2 ounces per gallon, of Marvel Mystery oil. The car starts and runs perfect, and idlels nice and low.

Great Observation;

Brian French

Comment

• Mark Maron
              Mark Maron commented
              Editing a comment
              you definitely don't need premium gas at all Brian..No reason what so ever. I run MMO at every fillip but would not waste my money on premium. I do believe your valves will suffer from it....

Brian get yourself a half dozen of the cork bulb gaskets and clean that baby out so you can see inside.
            Ck out this thread
            https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...tering-options
            3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said
            "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Mitch
              Mitch commented
              Editing a comment
              Our two tech forums have a lot of stuff in them. Many are multiple threads combined into one, the sticky explains it somewhat

Mark:

Thank you, and point taken. No more premium gas, but continue with MMO.

The good news for the valves, I typically drive 35 - 40 MPH, as where I travel are rural back roads.

Thank You;

Brian French

Comment

• Mark Maron
              Mark Maron commented
              Editing a comment
              Brian... Not only do i add 4oz to every film up but i also add about 1/4 qt when i change my oil.... NEVER leave home with out my MMO since the day the engine was rebuilt and I see a difference....Im with you!!!

" do believe your valves will suffer from it."
            actually not to worry about this, but as mentioned by others, the engine cannot use the extra octane; there is not enough compression. You would have to be at 9.5 to 1 CR or above to need premium

Having said that, apparently in some areas you can get alcohol-free premium, in which case go for it!!

Alcohol is the worst substance imaginable to add to a fuel system

Comment

Premium gas has a higher octane rating. It was designed to keep high compression (10 to 1 and higher) engines from knocking. The FTC and auto experts say there are no advantages to using premium gas in cars that don’t require it. The FTC states that using a higher octane on cars that don’t require it will not lead to better gas mileage or to the car running cleaner or faster. At 4.2 to 1 compression, the stock Model A engine is far from high compression! Save that 50 cents a gallon you are wasting on premium and buy yourself something useful. Perhaps a bow tie?
              Last edited by slammin; 10-23-2017, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Slamming:

Thank you for that information.

A bow bow tie is a great, period accessory.

Thank You;

Brian French

Comment

• CarlG
                    #11.1
                    CarlG commented
                    Today, 01:57 PM
                    The hose difference is based on where the radiator inlet is, not on where the engine outlet is. All engines use the same water outlet, whether it be the original or the VP unit.
                  Sorry, but you are wrong about that. The 28-29 water outlet is a lot shorter than the 30-31.
                  Bill
                  http://www.brauchauto.com/
                  Eastern Connecticut

Comment

• CarlG
                    CarlG commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I apologize for the incorrect information. The 3 Model A's I have owned were all '31 year models, and I made an incorrect assumption. Looking at Snyder's catalog, I see that they do in fact offer a shorter one for the 28-29 models. I will admit that my friend's '29 that I have looked at most recently actually has a B head and water pump on it, so all bets are off on that one.

I also wondered about the 2 different heights of coolant outlet being replaced by the same height new housing. Maybe they fudged a bit on each and made it half way between the 2 heights? It is easy to spot when someone uses the 30-1 outlet on the 28-9 engine, because the hose is too high and at the wrong angle.

The same goes for spotting when someone uses the 30-1 lower inlet pipe on the 28-9 radiator. Where it connects to the radiator is at the wrong angle, and easy to spot. Wrong angles put stress on the soldered radiator connections.

Comment

CarlG commented
                    Yesterday, 01:57 PM

If that were true, "All engines use the same water outlet,..." why does the Restoration guidelines state,
                    "A new taller water outlet casting was introduced to
                    match the 1930 style radiator."?

And the Vendors sell one that is 5 3/8 and another that is 6"?

Comment

On a 29 with a Gano filter. The fit isn't all that bad. I had one of the upper neck that had a pipe thread boss on the side and it was a real pain in the butt trying to check head torque because my offset adapter barely fit on the nuts. A deep socket fits perfect on the Vintage Precision unit. Another thing I like about it is the other provision for a fitting so I can route a hose to my remote water filter next month.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlG View Post
                        I apologize for the incorrect information. The 3 Model A's I have owned were all '31 year models, and I made an incorrect assumption. Looking at Snyder's catalog, I see that they do in fact offer a shorter one for the 28-29 models. I will admit that my friend's '29 that I have looked at most recently actually has a B head and water pump on it, so all bets are off on that one.
                        Yes, I wonder how the B pump would line up on a 28-9 radiator? I don't recall seeing that , but know there are some out there.

Comment

Well I learned something today maybe this would be a good question to ask vp may be it is something they are not aware of someone who actually knows what he is talking about would be the guy they have a toll free number or maybe I can call them and see if they will come on the forum like flathead Ted did, after all that is what sets this forum apart good friendly discussions with facts.

Comment

• tbirdtbird
                            tbirdtbird commented
                            Editing a comment
                            facts are good!