Transmission swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission swap

Mitch, I'm not sure where this should be placed, so I'm asking here.

I have been pondering a trans swap to a 5spd OD transmission and was wondering what the experts out in interweb land think.

I know I am going to need to pull the trans sooner or later and when I do, I want to get me a 5spd OD and install that instead putting the original back.

I have been reading about the T5 and the F-150 but can't decide which.

Sock it to me, I want to know which is easiest, least amount of cutting, and who supplies "Adapter kits ONLY" because I have a great source for the transmissions. (stepson works in auto salvage)

Yes, I am willing to lose the far rear FaM mount, or I may fabricate a new one if needed, but I think Bill has the right of it and it is not necessary.

Oh sorry guys, maybe better served in Off Topic.
    Last edited by DaWizard; 10-22-2017, 07:35 PM.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Originally posted by DaWizard View Post
    Mitch, I'm not sure where this should be placed, so I'm asking here.

I have been pondering a trans swap to a 5spd OD transmission and was wondering what the experts out in interweb land think.

I know I am going to need to pull the trans sooner or later and when I do, I want to get me a 5spd OD and install that instead putting the original back.

I have been reading about the T5 and the F-150 but can't decide which.

Sock it to me, I want to know which is easiest, least amount of cutting, and who supplies "Adapter kits ONLY" because I have a great source for the transmissions. (stepson works in auto salvage)

Yes, I am willing to lose the far rear FaM mount, or I may fabricate a new one if needed, but I think Bill has the right of it and it is not necessary.

Oh sorry guys, maybe better served in Off Topic.
    Wiz,
    I would suggest you talk to:

Dave Delmue
    408-722-2518
    [email protected]

He makes the F150 complete kit as well as an S10 kit (furnish your own tranny).
    He can give you the +/- on each.

While you are at it, recruit him over here. He's on "the other board" as Old Victoria
    Alaskan A's
    Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
    Model A Ford Club of America
    Model A Restorers Club
    Antique Automobile Club of America
    Mullins Owners Club

Comment

• DaWizard
      DaWizard commented
      Editing a comment
      Carl.. talked with Dave and he has been banned too and has a name here that he can't remember the name or password for.

Thanks Carl, I'll give him a jingle in the morning.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

HE WAS BANNED TOO !!

I will get him going here thanks for the info
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        He was already here under old victoria

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Just talked to Dave on the phone.
        It's all good now

• BNCHIEF
        BNCHIEF commented
        Editing a comment
        Banning good people with knowledge, what a concept.

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Simply amazing, what a gentleman he is on the phone.
        He now has my info for any forum help

After seeing what some people were banned for saying good morning would do it if someone complained.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Foxfire
        Have S15 and T5 transmission conversions gone out of favor?
        by Foxfire
        I tried to research options for saving $$ by possibly installing a 4 or 5 speed tranny. The Michell continues to rise in price and last I heard they were out a ways on delivery. I found that Modelaonly no longer has a web site and the only article I found it was necessary to cut out part of the crossmember. I see AA bell housings and adapters on fleabay but the adapters are for use on Mustangs. Am...
        05-27-2017, 12:31 PM
      • TZBrown
        Transmission issues
        by TZBrown
        Well I changed the trans oil yesterday evening and found this in the drain plug well.
        Now for the decisions, do I pull and rebuild this one, look for a replacement, or change to an overdrive trans?

Hopefully the posts from What did you do today that was model a related? will get transferred to here and more suggestions will be added
        About 2K miles since I changed engines in...
        09-04-2020, 09:33 AM
      • DaWizard
        Float-a-Motor
        by DaWizard
        Original Thread

Hey Bill, you awake yet?

I am wondering, yesterday I installed the FaM from Bratton's, the ductile steel one, and noticed that the far rear mount has an barely interference fit to the cross member.

Dig into your FaM memory and tell me about how much weight, if any, should be on the cross member?

I have the ability to
        10-15-2017, 09:10 AM
      • jcorvino
        1950 ford custom flathead v8
        by jcorvino
        good day - have dual carbs now but only running on one (still pretty strong and driveable). would like to change manifold/carbs to perhaps simple double barrel or two barrel. anysuggestions. not a custom motor basically stock 1950 flatheadv8...
        09-13-2017, 02:58 PM
      • DaWizard
        Shifter stick shudder.
        by DaWizard
        Hey, leave it to me to come up with something I haven't experienced before. Today while on my way to service two other Model As my tranny started to make some strange noise in 3rd and the shifter jumped around like a jumping bean.

Made it home, pull shifter tower, everything looks to be in usable shape for 90 years old. It didn't jump out of gear, shifted like always, but shuddered. Now,
        07-06-2018, 12:51 PM
      • Tom Wesenberg
        Ford Tri Motor Rides Coming to Minnesota
        by Tom Wesenberg
        For those living in Minnesota or nearby, I just got an email letting me know the Ford Tri Motor is coming to St Cloud and Rochester in July.
        If you've never been on this plane, it's well worth the price of the ride.

July 6-9, 2017 St. Cloud, MN - St. Cloud Regional Airport

Field Location: TBD

Aircraft: Liberty Ford 5-AT-B

05-26-2017, 08:54 PM
      • Dennis
        Transmission dilemma
        by Dennis
        Well I'm getting ready to make a decision about my transmission. I have the original 3 speed in it and it's going to need a lot of work. I'm almost sure there's going to be something serious with the countershaft. I'm seeing bronze metallic the last time I dropped the oil. Sounds horrible in first, second, and reverse gear. Previous owners ran it low on oil, or it leaked out. I'd say more miles...
        07-06-2017, 09:09 PM
      • Saltydawg
        Fred at Obsolete????
        by Saltydawg
        anybody know if Fred at Obsolete parts is OK? I've been trying to reach him and his message box is full and now get a busy signal for days
        04-25-2018, 07:05 PM
      • DaWizard
        Opening another can of worms.
        by DaWizard
        This is just to see if anyone here has had experiences with Petron Plus.

I'm not looking for advertisement, just real world personal experiences.
        08-11-2019, 04:43 PM
      • old31
        Ford F150 trans 4th gear
        by old31
        Is there anything that can be done with a Ford F150 trans 4th gear to lower the rpms?

The trans goes in a 31 Roadster. It is currently out for some engine work. I also installed a drain plug in it.
        02-24-2020, 05:52 PM
      Working...
      X