How in the hell???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How in the hell???

Ok, I use to have a leak on left side facing engine on flywheel housing. It was do to a poor gasket. I RTV'ed new gasket and no leak. I moved chassis and tarped it so I can paint my body. It is parked on a decline nose down and I just get home from work and oil is on the housing face. The oil should be up front. How does this happen????

pictures may help us, help you
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I'll post some this evening. Work time.

Comment

Seems this morning the leak had vanished....I have gremlins!

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          make sure before you put the body on

That is for sure, Mitch....what a pain that would be. Painting tomorrow and will post pics. No laughing! Had a Mexican guy wanting to buy my Briggs...It clearly states it is only a body. Pictures show it is only a body. He comes by (very broken English) and asked where the rest is?? I shook my head and had to let my iPhone translate to him. What a waste of time.

Comment

Hmm, interesting. Whenever someone would buy a new Harley we would go out and dribble some oil on the ground under it.

Comment

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Haha

I just got off work and some more oil on housing. I did per James and tightened pan bolts. they actually had some play in them. Wiped it down and will check again. The car is nose forward facing down a slope....how does oil that is below "F" mark on dipstick get back there....

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Dennis
            Leak at the rear of the engine and not the rear main?
            by Dennis
            I remember in the past this being brought up and I think it was George Miller that commented one of the bolts holes near the camshaft at the back of the block goes through. Well the last time I forgot to seal that bolt when I put it back together. And yes she was a leaker. I also discovered the hole on the left side above the crankshaft journal goes through. So it's sealer for both of those bolts...
            07-05-2018, 03:31 AM
          • Beauford
            Pics of my small leak...
            by Beauford
            So I have installed a new cam gasket with RTV which helped very much as the other gasket had gotten wet/dried wrinkled. I was having oil only when shut down come on left side of fly housing down to center. I have snugged the pan bolts as rebuilder suggested and still have this. It really is not bad per say but how can oil come when car hasn't been started going on two weeks and has sat at a decline????...
            06-12-2017, 01:35 PM
          • tbirdtbird
            Oil leaking? Think it is the rear main? read this
            by tbirdtbird
            Several threads have popped up here about various oil leaks.
            Well, on vintage stuff, ya gonna have'em.
            But we try to keep them small.

If you think you have a rear main leak, Rich Fallucca has a good read on this:
            http://antiqueenginerebuilding.com/REARMAINLEAK.html

BUT there is one more thing to check, and it might be worth it to check this first:
            05-23-2017, 09:20 PM
          • MIKE DERUITER
            REAR MAIN LEAK
            by MIKE DERUITER
            AFTER PUTTING ABOUT 50 MILES ON MY 29 MODEL A . THE NEXT MORNING I NOTICED A A FAIRLEY LARGE OIL SPOT UNDER THE REAR MAIN . I AM PLANNING ON DROPING THE PAN SOON , ANY THOUGHTS TO WHAT I MIGHT FIND ARE APPRECIATED
            08-05-2018, 02:56 PM
          • paul griesse
            Transmission oil leak
            by paul griesse
            Hi---new to this forum.....I`ve got a persistant oil leak from my trans on my `31 coupe. Its not overfilled, tower on and sealed securely. Seems to be leaking and blowing back thru the vented bell hosing cover. Has something like this been addressed previously? Many Thanks, Paul
            06-12-2017, 09:03 AM
          • plyfor
            Oil Pan Gasket Leaks-- Gasket brand suggestions, experiences requested
            by plyfor
            Just tried the Snyder's "no seal" oil pan gasket.We used no sealer as instructed. It seems to work ok on the sides at about 6 to 7'# of bolt torque but can't get the rear " no seal" bearing piece from the kit to seal well. Should we go to the thinner Fel Pro type composition/cork gasket all around and /or just for the rear bearing cap? The front teflon rope doesn't seal well either...
            08-11-2017, 11:17 AM
          • Mickey
            Carburetor gasket
            by Mickey
            Can I reuse a paper carburetor gasket with just a little sealer?
            10-02-2018, 07:13 AM
          • Beauford
            Tracer Dye
            by Beauford
            So I was putting a new gasket on valve cover and upon opening cover I notice the oil is kinda a baby poop yellow-orange? I freak and drain the oil. It doesn't look right to me at all being I just start my project a couple times a week and tinker. I had used trace dye for my small rear leak. I'm wondering if this caused the coloration? I am a fanatic about opening rad and seeing fluid at same level...
            04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
          • Beauford
            Latest Tech in a Can!
            by Beauford
            I have replaced gaskets twice on oil pan and still have this pesky small leak that doesnt show up until 24hrs after shut down. I put tracer dye and see it comes at between pan and crank. Well going to try this....go ahead and throw eggs but I'm not dropping the pan again and getting a new gasket. Pans probably bent a little back there I suppose. Hey, it says on the label for oil pans...LOL
            04-03-2018, 02:12 PM
          • CarlLaFong
            Oil Leak
            by CarlLaFong
            Well, after some, in depth, diagnosis, it seems my "oil leak" is, mostly coolant. I can't tell precisely where its coming from. The car has a pressurized system and an overflow added so I'll have to get it up to temp and have a look see. It is leaking oil from the rear main, as well. I think I'll drop the pan and Plastigauge it. I have a rather steep, long driveway here at The Fongderosa...
            01-15-2018, 02:06 PM
          Working...
          X