Vintage Auto Parts, Santa Ana, Calif.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Auto Parts, Santa Ana, Calif.

I found a catalog for this company tonight while rummaging through my bookshelf. It appears to be about 1974, though I can't find a date. But oh my stars! The prices! Almost consistently across their whole product line things cost about 1/10 (or less) what they do today.

Does anybody remember this business, or know what happened to them? Harold Looney was the proprietor. They were located at 1024 E. 4th St., Santa Ana, Calif.

I had a copy of their parts book from the mid 60's. I have not seen it in nearly 30 years. Likely was ruined when my parents basement flooded in 1994. Yes even in the mid to late 80's their prices were very cheap. I beleive rear axles were under $5 and spindles for $1. Rod
    "Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good." Thomas Sowell

Comment

Since I am the resident So Cal'er I would like nothing more than to tell all of you that I was a purchaser of product from these fine folk back in the '60s, but alas, I have memory of the name, but no memory of ever coming down here to purchase parts. It is possible that the remembrance of the name was due to a connection with parts sales at the Veterans Stadium swap meets in Long Beach. Those are still some fond memories.

And just to be clear, I know there are others, like Dennis that are here and now into the Model As, but I am referring to my childhood spent with the family in and about the So Cal area in the '60s.
      You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Dennis
        Dennis commented
        Editing a comment
        I have heard and been told about them, but very little.

It looks like the whole block of buildings has been torn down and replaced by a taqueria.
      Last edited by Ray Horton; 10-22-2017, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Forgot about these guys!! I bought a new old stock cluster gear from them still wrapped in cosmolene / muslin probably around 1975 when at a meeting in S. Cal and transported it in a brief case on PSA, forerunner to Southwest. Then I think it was approx. $50. Wheels were $5, etc!!

Comment

They,ve been gone for a long time.

Comment

To me, 1974 wasn't that long ago at least in my mind!!

Them was good years as they say! Neat cars to be had on the cheap. Good music on the radio, people were a lot classier than they are today. Your money sure went a lot farther.

The changing times we see today really aren't all that great except maybe for medicine and dentistry THAT is better than ever. I had a health situation in early 2016 where the Doctor told me 'If you had had this even 4 or 5 years ago we would have told you to go home and try to get comfortable, and wait for the end.' So in THAT anticipation respect, Carly Simon, 'These are the good ol' days, these are---- ARE (buddle ump----- drum sound) the good ol' days...da-dada dan't daaaaaaa........."

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
              To me, 1974 wasn't that long ago at least in my mind!!

Them was good years as they say! Neat cars to be had on the cheap. Good music on the radio, people were a lot classier than they are today. Your money sure went a lot farther.

The changing times we see today really aren't all that great except maybe for medicine and dentistry THAT is better than ever. I had a health situation in early 2016 where the Doctor told me 'If you had had this even 4 or 5 years ago we would have told you to go home and try to get comfortable, and wait for the end.' So in THAT anticipation respect, Carly Simon, 'These are the good ol' days, these are---- ARE (buddle ump----- drum sound) the good ol' days...da-dada dan't daaaaaaa........."
              I agree. We often lament the changes that are negative (my son just bought a truck that cost twice what I paid for some houses) but the advances in medicine are wonderful. I had the arterie in my neck cleaned out 2 years ago, and it saved my life. 20 years ago I would have been a gonner. My girlfriend is recovering from her second knee replacement, and she is walking quite well less than a week from the operation. My brother had a heart attack, and he is still here and doing fine. Some of the changes are good. ( the music sucks though)
              Bill
              http://www.brauchauto.com/
              Eastern Connecticut

Comment

Lets see... In 1974, I was recently born. I have no memories from that time. My oldest memories have disco music in them (which I still love). Music?? The 80's music is what I look back onto with fondness. You guys remember the 70's?? Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by P.S. View Post
                  Lets see... In 1974, I was recently born. I have no memories from that time. My oldest memories have disco music in them (which I still love). Music?? The 80's music is what I look back onto with fondness. You guys remember the 70's?? Wow.
                  How about a two for one.
                  Every Saturday evening you can watch beautiful talented women and hear the best music on public TV with Lawrence Welk.

Comment

• Jeff/Illinois
                    Jeff/Illinois commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A wunnerfull a wunnerfull ana WAN ana TOO

LW had a funny accent, that must be that Dakota accent people talk with.

Illinois and Ghicaaaago people have no accents. Da Bears.

• P.S.
                    P.S. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wife and I are HUGE fans of Lawrence Welk!! Have albums, CD's, shows, etc. He was a very patriotic American man of German lineage with a true love of God and country. What's not to like?

Yeah the 50's and 60's were the best to me. Laurence Welk? Wasn't he from Minnesota? I live about an hour from his resort in So Cal.

Comment

I was blessed with 2 sisters, one 9 and one 10 years older than me. I grew up really knowing what music was all about in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s. We had 78rpm records with singers like Kate Smith and Pearl Baily with songs like Solid Gold Cadillac. Whew, memory lane.... We were a medium TV family, we mostly worked on Model As and when we ran out of daylight ate and watched TV.

Those were the days....
                    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment