I Have Never Seen This Happen Before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Have Never Seen This Happen Before

While Getting these front backing plates packaged for dmdeaton I noticed a rattling noise. I had noticed that the adjusters were gone and the adjuster covers were still in place and thought nothing about it other than he would not have to spend time removing rusted adjusters. When I looked in the adjuster holes I found the adjuster wedges were what was rattling. I removed the covers and removed them. Has anyone seen this happen before? Also curious as to what caused then to break off. Threads are in good shape. Rod
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.
    Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Somebody must have twisted them off but it is strange that they were both done the same way. Must have been trying to get that last little bit of breaking.

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep i agree with Sunny that whoever tried to take out the adjusters did not know that they should be screwed inwards to be removed. Maybe a combination of rust degeneration and force popped the hats off

That took some real force to pop the heads off while loosening the brakes. Rod
    Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Cape Codder
      Brake Adjuster Frozen
      by Cape Codder
      Brakes were running pretty hot so tried to adjust the right rear one. Could not budge the adjuster even with an extension bar. Took drum off to find nothing wrong with the brakes, main or emergency. Tried to move adjuster again with no results.

Removed backer plate and put adjuster square in large vise, while putting mount bolts back in backer plate to try and turn backer plate. End...
      08-10-2017, 08:38 PM
    • REHelgeson
      Dippers on rods?
      by REHelgeson
      If anyone here lurks on the MTFCA site you surely have seen the thread where one of the members was driving from Kansas to the OCF in Dearborn. He had some difficulties with his T on the way home. I will say it was refreshing to see the T guys come to his rescue. Anyway one of the dippers came apart (Don't think that was the cause of his problem with the Babbitt on the #3 rod) and now the question...
      09-18-2018, 02:40 PM
    • Ray Horton
      Anyone else seen one of these?
      by Ray Horton
      I am the second owner of my 29 Tudor, which I bought in 1961. The item pictured was attached to the molding on the front windows, one on each side. The tab is about 1-1/8”; the roller part stands up at about 1”.

Over the ensuing years, I lost one, but still have this one. I removed both some time in the distant past. I have never seen any others on any Model A’s, so I suspect it...
      05-09-2018, 12:52 PM
    • Terry, NJ
      Tight (very) Rear end!
      by Terry, NJ
      Bought a rear end for my coupe ! It was tight and the drums were on it. It had been laying out side and while it had some rust, it wasn't any more than a rear in a car. It was so tight I had to use a pipe wrench to turn it. I figured the drums were binding. It turned a little easier after we freed it up a little. I got the drums off and while they were tight, it still isn't what I'd call acceptable....
      01-11-2018, 01:12 PM
    • Fixitphil
      Connecting Rod Balancing
      by Fixitphil
      Again I'm new at this game and haven't seen much, but this situation does not seem right. Give me your input please.
      I'm getting a new engine so I tore the old engine down to see what it was like.
      1. I found one of the rods had a 1.5 in long weight welded inside the web. Nothing on the other side.
      2. Second rod had a 3" weight welded to each side of the rod.
      3. Third...
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      08-12-2018, 12:03 PM
    • Jeff/Illinois
      Ford Model A assembly line
      by Jeff/Illinois
      Nothing new, most of you have seen this before, but it is still fun to watch! Ford was good about documenting and filming their operations we're glad today that they did.

That guy on the main line connecting the engine to the drivetrain must have been the Main Man he appears in still photos a lot too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw4UcBtEbjo
      08-09-2018, 03:18 PM
    • DaWizard
      Strange to me Brakes
      by DaWizard
      Well, I have run across two Model A's with the same type of brakes that I don't know who makes them and why they would even do such a thing.

Unfortunately I have not pulled the drums to see how they actually adjust, nor have I taken pictures.

But here is a description; The differences I can see are there is an external "jam nut" on the 7/16 adjuster shaft. There
      06-29-2018, 01:09 PM
    • Roadster Rich
      Brakes Finished
      by Roadster Rich
      Thanks for the advice on the tracks on the front backing plates. I took them into where I used to work and my tool maker lead came by and caught me using the TIG welder to build up the tracks. When I explained what I needed to do, he would not hear of me filing and using my dremel to finish them. He set them up on the CNC machining center, homed on the line between the two rivets and machined the...
      07-10-2017, 02:23 PM
    • Curly
      Gas Rationing Pre WW2
      by Curly
      Were there any gas rationing stickers used before World War Two?
      I suppose it would not be incorrect to have a rationing stickers on an A as they were still quite abundant during the 1940’s, although if there were stickers used in the 30’s it would be more authentic.
      Where would one find a reproduction sticker?
      01-13-2018, 04:32 PM
    • Ray Horton
      I need serious experienced help with an engine problem
      by Ray Horton
      This engine, with only 4000 miles on it since rebuild, has always overheated and locked up when shut down after overheating, which is usually when driven at 45 or less for 30 minutes or more. (This did not and does not happen when driven under 35 and/or just around town for less than 45 minutes). I thought I had this problem fixed. But apparently not.

Here is the history: On 3/16/14 I...
      07-01-2017, 01:12 AM
    Working...
    X