Early 28 rear end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early 28 rear end

I bought complete front and rear ends not needed by a hot rodder. It's all in good condition and I have pulled the front end apart, got the bits I needed and went to start on the rear end. My shackle holes are very worn in my bells. Plan was as the car this all came out off was that good and everything looked in that good shape to just put the complete rear in and keep the current one for spares. When looking closer I notice the radius rods looked even smaller than I remember of mine. Sure enough, look under my car confirms that. Then I notice no e brake stuff and the penny dropped. Question is are the bells, axles and centre ect the same and worth keeping for spares or should I just move the whole rear end on to someone who is into early 28's .
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Oh yes, it is well worth keeping as it will work under your car nicely, just sell off the backing plates out and keep the center. One word though, the gear ratio in that will probably be 3.70:1 since that was the early ratio. Does it still have the speedo turtle, and is it embossed 10x37? That will tell for sure, unless you want to turn the driveshaft and count the axle turns.

If you know anyone with a pre-June '28 left brake car, sell the whole thing to them as an original rear end.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Manager
      Manager commented
      Editing a comment
      Raining today so Il'l look as soon as it fines up. Thanks.

Pm me if you want to sell the brake rod return springs
    http://jmodela.coffeecup.com

Comment

Backing plates and radius rods pretty desirable in some circles. Not sure how desirable down under. Bick in NZ has some early A's. Curious if the forged portion of the radius rods are embossed with Ford Canada, just Ford or nothing at all? As mentioned above the speedo drive should be different than the later ones. Kind of hard to find. Rod
      Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

The first and very early banjo housings were prone to cracking, they have no reinforcement gussets at the front flange. Axle housings are the same, I believe. Replacing would call for a carrier preload for sure. See Tom Endy's site, http://www.santaanitaas.org. Maybe cheaper to have your shackle supports repaired, leaving rear end together ? Pat
        Model A's and of course the famous AA's

Comment

O.K. thanks all. Afew other things different other than the brakes and radius rods means I will just leave it for someone into early 28 I think. Il'l check the other things when it stops raining here. Thanks all.

Comment

I have a AR rear end and its cracked on the Diff housing, should I have it brazed and use it or search for another rear end?

Comment

Will, you should look for another. Something as critical as the alignments and tolerances in the rear end can't be trusted on a welded up rear end.

It is nice having the 3:70 gear ratio.
              You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Nobody mentioned it yet, so I will. Notice the bolt pattern of the axle housings. Not the same as later housings.

Comment

If you were not so far away, I could swap you a later rear end for your early.

Comment

• Manager
                    Manager commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Old thread that has been reopened pooch and I sold the rear end way back and repaired my hangers but thanks anyway.

Related Topics

Collapse

• wrndln
                  Rear radius rod question
                  by wrndln
                  I have discovered something I haven't seen before. I was going through the 3 or 4 pairs of rear radius rods to pick the ones to use on my phaeton's rearend and noticed something I haven't noticed before. The brackets for the brake rod springs are different for some of them. The most common ones are the ones in the third picture - maybe 29 radius rods?? The brackets that are sandblasted are from a...
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 3 photos.
                  11-09-2018, 10:44 AM
                • Jim Mason
                  you be the judge
                  by Jim Mason
                  What year and month etc? upside down btw.

Case you are wondering...I'm organizing my new shop and thought this game would be interesting...
                  09-01-2017, 01:50 PM
                • Ken Parker
                  Removing rear end with Mitchell OD
                  by Ken Parker
                  Need to change our the rear end and there is a Michell OD installed. ? Can one remove the rear end with the rear drive shaft stub with its short torque tube and leave the geaar box still installed under the car. Or will I have to pull the whole shafts, box and tubes starting at the ujoint? ken
                  06-15-2020, 11:01 AM
                • Jordan
                  If it's not one thing, it's another....
                  by Jordan
                  I recently spent 3 weeks rewiring my "new" 1930 Town Sedan name Jethro (if you saw pictures, you'd understand the name). Jethro is pretty modified in the sense that it doesn't have a Model A engine, but it has a 39 transmission and a Model A rear end, hydraulic brakes, A/C, radio, CB Radio, ETC. ETC.

It took a very long time to try to wire everything while making it look like...
                  04-15-2020, 10:42 PM
                • Tom Wesenberg
                  Transmission Ratios Out of Sync
                  by Tom Wesenberg
                  I've seen transmission ratios posted where the 1st and 2nd gear ratios include the rear end, but then 3rd does not, and lists it as 1:1. This can be confusing when they don't use the rear end with all 3 speeds, or better yet, forget the rear end ratio, since at least 5 ratios are available. Here's an example of what I've seen in books.

High-1:1 (100%)
                  2nd-6.89:1 (53.8%)
                  Low-8.75:1...
                  04-07-2018, 01:50 AM
                • Steve Plucker
                  Rear Backing plates
                  by Steve Plucker
                  I am trying to determine just why I can not get the rear hubs on my fully assembled rear backing plates.

When the backing plates are assembled to the rear axle and the brake wedges are fully bottomed out...the hubs will not go on.

I do not want to force them as I probably will not get them off.

Every part was looked at for quality, length, what ever.
                  01-26-2020, 06:00 AM
                • Rowdy
                  Early 28 Weel Flange Depth
                  by Rowdy
                  Anyone have an early 28 wheel they could measure the flange depth of? Bought an early 28 front end and rear end today while on Junk Jaunt. Now to keep an eye out for early 28 wheels for day 2 and possibly day 3. Can not find my notes from years gone by and too tired to dig for them. Leaving very early in the morning for day 2 and will check back to see if anyone has one to measure. Thanks Rod
                  09-22-2017, 10:58 PM
                • Terry, NJ
                  Tight (very) Rear end!
                  by Terry, NJ
                  Bought a rear end for my coupe ! It was tight and the drums were on it. It had been laying out side and while it had some rust, it wasn't any more than a rear in a car. It was so tight I had to use a pipe wrench to turn it. I figured the drums were binding. It turned a little easier after we freed it up a little. I got the drums off and while they were tight, it still isn't what I'd call acceptable....
                  01-11-2018, 01:12 PM
                • conaway2
                  Changes in Rear Axle Radius Rods ??
                  by conaway2
                  As I continue to work on rebuilding the rear axle, I noticed that the two radius rods are different. One has a forged fork that is welded to the radius rod; the other has what appears to be a stamped fork that seems to be pressed into the radius rod....

Can anyone enlighten me as to when these different parts were used ? I already know that the axle housings are from different years (28...
                  08-10-2020, 08:59 PM
                • Bill G
                  Roof trim procedure
                  by Bill G
                  I have a 1929 Tudor, and I installed the vinyl (or what ever it's made of) top material. It's all stretched on and nailed in position. Now it's time for the front and rear trim. I have new steel snap on trim. I have painted it and now the fun begins. The new strips measure 72 inches end to end. The old strips measure 49.5 inches for the front and 70 inches for the rear.
                  Here is what I...
                  07-04-2019, 12:48 AM
                Working...
                X