Water Pump Rebuilding, Packing Nut Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Pump Rebuilding, Packing Nut Question

Working on my water pump. While it has the leakless bushing, I am putting in the packing too.
    The kit comes with an Aluminum packing nut. I have several old new pot metal type packing nuts.
    Should I use the pot metal ones or is there a reason not to use them?

Thanks.

Ya know Kevin, I have used all types of packing buts, and as long as you don't try to tighten them too tight, I've had no problems. I think you should just stick with the appropriate one for your car's month and year.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Dennis
      Dennis commented
      Editing a comment
      Uh oh!! "I have used all types of packing buts," I'm glad you didn't spell buts with 2 T's... :rolling

If you like shiny and new, use the aluminum one. If you like original and correct, use the old one.
    Bill
    http://www.brauchauto.com/
    Eastern Connecticut

Comment

I am a function type of guy and I like to get the right patina. But my default is to what works best based on evidence. If you look at some of the bolts on my rear you will find some are rusty headed. Their threads are a real tight fit.

To be honest I was looking for comments like the 'some old ones fall apart' to know if I should consider the new one. The aluminum one will look way out of place and does not buy me better function. So I will use the zinc type.

Thanks!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Apple Green Wheels Rule
        OK technical question time about...........
        by Apple Green Wheels Rule
        the water pump packing nut on a leakless sealed WP.

It says in the instructions that, the packing nut is kept loose and only tighten in case of emergency. If that is so, what keeps the nut from tightening on it's own while the shaft is rotating?
        03-05-2018, 04:58 PM
      • Kevin in NJ
        Water Pump Parts Questions
        by Kevin in NJ
        I have been sorting through my water pump parts. I have a kit from A&L that my brother just bought at Hershey.
        The shaft with pinned impeller was ground to size and very nice and I do not know who made it.
        The small parts were all bagged with Bratton's labels.

I will start with the front bearing felt retainers. The 2 repro ones are on the left. The others are were taken...
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 3 photos.
        10-20-2017, 10:54 PM
      • Roadster Rich
        Leakless Water Pump
        by Roadster Rich
        I have a "leakless" pump on my roadster that I assembled about 25 years ago. I have a pump to rebuild for my barn find town sedan. I ordered a leakless kit with the stainless shaft for the TS and had to get a new core from Berts, as the original had a bad crack. The question is whether the pressed in brass bushing at the rear of the pump is any different than an original bushing? I used...
        05-21-2017, 08:28 AM
      • Roadster Rich
        Leakless Pump Follow Up
        by Roadster Rich
        I am so sick and tired of water pumps that leak! Just about to fire up an engine that I rebuilt myself (just rings, lap in valves adjust all clearances, rebuilt dizzy, carb and water pump). I filled with 50/50 yesterday morning and saw a very slow drip at the pump. But from every thing I can tell it seems to be coming from the pressed in bushing and the pump body. The drip only was about 1/3 cup...
        06-24-2017, 08:25 AM
      • Roadster Rich
        Frustrating Water Pump Rebuild
        by Roadster Rich
        This should be easy. I posted about two weeks ago about the bushing in the rear of the water pump. Replies were to use the dual lip seal bushing. I got info from Steve at Bert's about which bushing that was and I ordered two. I have a new shaft, impeller, front bearing race, and the cups, felts and washers for the front bearing. I also had a very good condition "leakless" pack nut....
        This gallery has 2 photos.
        05-31-2017, 10:22 AM
      • Roadster Rich
        Leakless Water Pump
        by Roadster Rich
        Trying to fix a leaking water pump and I am puzzled. I made the mistake of taking apart the current pump and then putting all the parts I have accumulated together. Wouldn't be so bad except that the newest leakless pack nut has the seal taken out of the pack nut (me bad) and now I dont know which way it goes.

I hope I have loaded the pictures properly. I need to know which side of...
        This gallery has 2 photos.
        02-17-2018, 01:02 PM
      • Tom Wesenberg
        Original and leakless water pump info
        by Tom Wesenberg
        When I rebuilt my water pump in the 90's I rebuilt it completely original, and it never leaked a drop in over 10 years. When I did the block and radiator flush with vinegar I had a real mess after the vinegar removed the grease from the packing rings. I then installed the new rear bushing from Snyder's with the double lip seal. The seal will help ensure the coolant and grease stay separated. I loosen...
        06-19-2018, 06:34 PM
      • Fordfordora
        Water pump
        by Fordfordora
        Attached are pictures of the water pump that was on my car when I purchased it. Is this an aftermarket pump? if so, will a rebuild kit work on this. I kind of like the idea of having a grease reservoir handy.
        This gallery has 4 photos.
        10-24-2018, 11:12 PM
      • sideline
        Water pump
        by sideline
        At the risk of asking a dumb question, how can I tell if I have a leak less, greaseless water pump? Are there any visual clues? I didn’t build this car and with all the non original things I’m finding I am afraid to assume anything....
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        10-01-2018, 01:33 PM
      • plyfor
        Leakless water pump
        by plyfor
        Is the rear brass bushing with the seal supposed to be lubed?
        Not sure what pump prior owner installed.It looks stock from exterior and shaft doesn't move laterally. Any way to tell without removing pump to see if it has modern components?
        01-08-2018, 01:58 PM
      Working...
      X