X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin in NJ
    • Sep 2017
    • NJ

Water Pump Rebuilding, Packing Nut Question

Working on my water pump. While it has the leakless bushing, I am putting in the packing too.
    The kit comes with an Aluminum packing nut. I have several old new pot metal type packing nuts.
    Should I use the pot metal ones or is there a reason not to use them?

Thanks.
  • DaWizard
    RIP Wiz
    The VFF will miss you
    "Permanent Member"
    • May 2017
    • Dizzyland

Ya know Kevin, I have used all types of packing buts, and as long as you don't try to tighten them too tight, I've had no problems. I think you should just stick with the appropriate one for your car's month and year.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Dennis
      Dennis commented
      Editing a comment
      Uh oh!! "I have used all types of packing buts," I'm glad you didn't spell buts with 2 T's... :rolling
  • 2manycars
    • May 2017
    • Eastern Connecticut

If you like shiny and new, use the aluminum one. If you like original and correct, use the old one.
    Bill
    http://www.brauchauto.com/
    Eastern Connecticut

Comment

• Kevin in NJ
      • Sep 2017
      • NJ

I am a function type of guy and I like to get the right patina. But my default is to what works best based on evidence. If you look at some of the bolts on my rear you will find some are rusty headed. Their threads are a real tight fit.

To be honest I was looking for comments like the 'some old ones fall apart' to know if I should consider the new one. The aluminum one will look way out of place and does not buy me better function. So I will use the zinc type.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...