Starter Brushes Reinstall ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Brushes Reinstall ??

Ok, I'm a paint guy, one hand, one brush.

What is the magic in retracting four starter brushes to reinstall the armature ?

Tanks, JB

Take a coat hanger and make a finger loop in one end, then about 3" straight, then a 90* hook about 5/16" long. Lift each spring, the pull the brush back enough to cock it to the side in each brush holder. Slip the parts together then tilt each brush until it slips down into place. Be sure the spring is centered on each brush. I'll see if I have some parts laying loose, so I can take a picture.

Comment

• JB-OB
      JB-OB commented
      Editing a comment
      Tom,

Sounds like what I remember...

I thought four hooks, four small vise grips to hold in place, 'center the brushes' and drop the armature in place.

Sure, that'll work.......??

Related Topics

Collapse

• old31
    Starter armature, is it good?
    by old31
    The armature for my starter doesn’t have any grooves I can see the lines but I really can’t feel them with my fingernail like I can with my generator. Is this OK or should it be replaced?

The picture is really deceiving where the brushes ride it is very smooth.

09-17-2019, 05:38 PM
  • Leo
    Brush Painting Without Brush Marks???
    by Leo
    I'm going to be doing some chassis work and I'm limited in the space dept. so a spray booth would be difficult to achieve. Has anyone had any success using a black chassis paint with a bristle or foam brush that does not leave a "brush trail"?
    06-17-2020, 09:39 AM
  • popsjohn
    Starter Motor Resurrection
    by popsjohn
    I thought it would be a good idea to have working spare parts for my car in case of a problem and I would be ready with a spare. I purchased a box of starter and generator parts from the Steve Wastler Estate Sale which included a starter with Bendix drive. It was rusted and the armature would not turn. After an afternoon of liquid wrench, hammering and prying I was able to get the armature out....
    03-12-2020, 01:58 PM
  • Chuck Sea/Tac
    Contradiction in Les Andrews books RE insulating brush holders.
    by Chuck Sea/Tac
    In the red mechanics handbook, he states.”Using an ohm meter, check continuity of the brush holders to the end plate. Only the movable “adjusting” brush holder should be grounded. If either of the other brush holders is grounded to the end plate, check “why”.
    Then, in the troubleshooting and diagnostics book, he says the opposite .”This third brush like the lower negative...
    11-20-2020, 07:50 PM
  • Chuck Sea/Tac
    Starter interchange
    by Chuck Sea/Tac
    I evidently have an early starter that has the thin walled bushing on the long shaft. Can that armature be used with the later ends? It appears the id and length are the same, so why not?
    09-16-2018, 04:41 PM
  • ClaudeC
    lubricating a model A starter
    by ClaudeC
    Is there a way to oil a model A starter when installed on vehicle?
    07-23-2018, 01:17 PM
  • Leo
    Are Special Brushes Needed When Stripping with Stencil Tape?
    by Leo
    If anyone has used the Finesse or 3M stencil tape for stripping, does it require the use of a special brush?
    06-08-2020, 09:00 AM
  • Mitch
    Generator & Cut Out Information, Operation, Repairing, EVR installation!!!
    by Mitch
    Generator Brushes and Adjustment and How It Works.

By :: Tom Wesenberg

I'm asked quite often about brush adjustment and how they work, so hopefully these pictures will help.
    The first picture is a cutaway taken at the Model A museum at Gilmore Auto Museum in Hickory Corners, Michigan. The second picture shows the 3 brushes. This happens to be the style...
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    05-19-2017, 09:51 PM
  • Fixitphil
    Sparton Horn
    by Fixitphil
    I think my field winding (s) are bad. Can I check the contiuity?... and where do I attach the voltmeter continuity clips.
    03-18-2018, 06:41 PM
  • BAAP
    Power House Generator Question
    by BAAP
    The judging standards talks about three different styles of Power House generators. The two earlier versions had 5 brushes and the one later version had only 3 brushes. I've been asked to look into having the black bakelite brush holder plates made. I've talked to one of my sources and he said that it would be no problem making it. Before we spend a bunch of time on this project we have a question...
    10-11-2019, 08:33 AM
Working...
X