Suspension travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension travel

A Google search was no help. Can anyone tell me the approximate total suspension travel, front and rear, 29 Tudor.

Simple answer, NOT TOO MUCH!
    Bill W.

Comment

I would say as far as the shackles can go, before binding on something, then measure ? Load your back seat up with weight until it hits that limit and with the front, have friends stand on your bumper. I would like to see the results. Pat's curious
      Model A's and of course the famous AA's

Comment

As for the rear spring, I left the center through bolt long and was giving rides, the bolt hit the diff. I then removed 3 or 4 inches of the through bolt and no more issues. So in the back of a tudor, maybe 7 inches downward travel ?
        We are wondering why you need the travel distance?

Comment

Being a tool maker with my own machine shop at my disposal, I can't justify spending $275 to $375 for a tubular shock kit that I can fabricate myself. I have sketched the mounting system I will build, but need to figure out the appropriate shocks to buy. I came up with front shocks, still need to decide on the rears. Cheap? You bet!

Comment

• CarlG
            CarlG commented
            Editing a comment
            The main reason a person buys a kit like this is that they are also buying the engineering and research it took to build, fabricate, and supply proven parts for the intended purpose.

You can also mount tube shocks at 45 degrees to get more travel and a softer ride. This will also add some to sideways stability.

Comment

• George Miller
            George Miller commented
            Editing a comment
            Plus 1 I also think that is the best way.

I would be very surprised if you get more than 4" travel front & rear. As the designer of vintage car bodies, I allow 4" travel up from static for most cars and to date have not had a problem with the wheels hitting the mudguards. The transverse springs of the Model A effectively give it very short springs, especially at the front, limiting travel. For a test, jack one wheel up to the max and see how far it travels and then raise the chassis on that side and see how far it drops?

Comment

In response to Slammin, we tried the shock kit with eyelet end tube shocks provided (See other threads here) and experimented with a number of shocks for the town sedan. Talked to a number of tech experts at KYB, Monroe,etc. thru our little shop and got some good advice form Eaton Spring who makes A springs and offers shocks (adjustable non -gas enhanced that are quite pricey). We like the look of the eyelet types with concealed plungers.
            We found the kit- provided shocks to be too stiff for our spring rates, so we went with EMPI 9600 series non gas charged VW type shocks on the fronts which some folks suggest are a little too undersized for the wt. of the A. We found the ride to be much improved with softer rebound and at $60 a pair was a test bargain. The studs for the eyelets are metric and need to be reamed to 5/8" if needed or replaced with new nitrile ,etc. insert bushings readily available.The rear shocks from the kits are still being tested and seem to be OK for heavier sedans. We're told the red Gabriel Gas charged shocks are used in some of the kits. . The compressed/ extended lengths depend on brackets fab'd, but vary from about 11" to 16" for the vendors kits shocks at ride height of about 13 to 13 1/2" eyelet to eyelet. Feedback appreciated.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• JohnB15632
              Model A listing
              by JohnB15632
              I could use some help. My A is listing to the right. I am thinking that during the assembly of the rear spring to the frame, I must have made a bad mistake.
              Now, what should I do to correct this list? Do I need to raise the frame and drop the rear axle?
              Should I invest in a new rear spring?

Thanks
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.
              10-09-2018, 09:07 AM
            • Jim Mason
              Tudor front seat
              by Jim Mason
              When was the rear seat support a cone and when was it a bar? bar in the picture.

04-09-2018, 01:46 PM
            • Beauford
              Rear radius
              by Beauford
              While putting in some new backing plate bolts releasing the rear radius they now do not want to line up with the holes. How is this possible?? I tried removing large center bolt which did not help so I re-attached and was able to get drivers side done but had to use a pry bar at rear between backing plate and V in radius for the top bolt to go in. The passenger side is way off more on top hole of...
              12-25-2017, 06:43 PM
            • Tom Wesenberg
              Pictures of my Unrestored 1929 Tudor Rear Interior
              by Tom Wesenberg
              Here are some pictures of the rear inside of my 2-23-29 Tudor.
              Notice my car has both the slot and bracket to fasten the top of the rear seat.
              This was built during the transition from the slot to the bracket, so mine still has the slot.
              Notice the sound deadening pads and the amount of body color that they received.
              It wasn't until I removed my outside door handle that I saw...
              This gallery has 5 photos.
              02-21-2018, 10:34 AM
            • Captndan
              Touring Car
              by Captndan
              I'm in the process of making my 31 Tudor a safe, comfortable, reliable touring car. Finished installing the Randy Gross steering today. What a difference! I cannot say enough good about Randy and his products. Stipe shocks are next. Ready to roll down the road!
              05-24-2017, 10:15 PM
            • Steve Plucker
              Rear Floor Pan...28-29 Phaeton vs. Tudor
              by Steve Plucker
              Does any one know if the Rear Floor Pans on the 28-29 Phaeton and Tudor are interchangable?

I have a copy of the November 15, 1929 Body Parts List and it lists A-35204 for the Phaeton but NO number is given for the Tudor.

Thanks.

Pluck
              10-18-2018, 10:54 PM
            • Mark Maron
              Check Those Shackles
              by Mark Maron
              Been riding somewhat rough for the last year, car also has a "tilt" to the right., used chain lube, PB Blaster, Kroil for the last 6 months on my rear spring.. Could not get a drop of grease in the rear shackles. Heated them, used a wire, hammer grease adapter ect.. Needed to change the shackles. Tom was over and helped do this very difficult pain in the butt job. Found that they were worn,...
              This gallery has 5 photos.
              09-20-2018, 03:11 PM
            • slammin
              Listing to the left
              by slammin
              Happy New Year to my fellow VFFers! To make a short story long, I installed a right tail light on my 29. To locate it, I went thru a complicated procedure involving a long aluminum angle leveled across the top of the rear fenders. Since then, I look at the car from the rear and the tail lights don't look right. I considered the license plate throwing off my perception. Yesterday I finally got out...
              01-03-2018, 10:17 AM
            • bambooboy
              29 rear fender braces on pickup
              by bambooboy
              put one on today using 2 bolts thru frame&wood block.does not follow contour of fender very well but did a search with other guy &1 comment say thats the way it is.my question is on outside of brace is a 1/4 inch hole,does that get a carriage bolt that will need to be drilled thru new fenders?none of the catalogs show a bolt like this,just the 4 1/2 x5 1/6 hex. tom...
              08-28-2017, 03:12 PM
            • JtownJoe
              Tudor seat discomfort
              by JtownJoe
              I love my 30' Tudor but the front seats are just not very comfortable & my lower back starts to ache within an hours drive time. I'm sure I'm not alone on this one, any suggestions, other than switching out to modern seats, I really don't want to radically change the interior that much.
              04-02-2018, 08:59 PM
            Working...
            X