How to keep rain out between glass and body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to keep rain out between glass and body

My 29 Tudor was in the driveway during an unexpected heavy rain. Without an interior I was able to see all the leaks. I have never seen any seals between the windows and body listed any where. Interior pictures of recent restorations show unstained panels, not the case with older interiors. I know the importance of keep the door drains clear. What about the water at the rear quarter windows? I don't see drains at the bottom of those panels. Here in western Colorado you don't have to take off your shoes to count the rainy days. That can't be said for most areas of the country. I plan to keep her in the garage when it rains, but it can happen. Then there is washing the car.

The only per say window seal is basically a anti rattler on the outside of the glass. I am not sure of the exact locations of the drains but many have drilled their own holes.
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I have a 29 Tudor, and if you lay on a creeper and look up you can see the drain holes for the rear quarter panels.
      I had pictures of them, but they are on my old computer, which is tucked away for now.
      The doors also have drain holes, and slant outward at the top, so no water should hit the panels.

Comment

• slammin
        slammin commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Tom. I'm crawling around underneath the car today. While I'm down there I'll look for the rear quarter drain holes. I didn't notice them from the inside. The door drains are clear.

Stick your finger up where the body meets the front of the rear fender. It's not a round hole, more of an oblong space. Look at the mirror in the middle of the photo.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Dennis; 10-10-2017, 03:14 PM.

Comment

When I restored my 29 tudor 40 years ago, I remember seeing holes for water to drain out of the door and body but of course they get stopped up with debris over the years and then it rusts. I am not sure if there is any way to keep it out but maybe larger drain holes would help.

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          That's kinda what i meant to say make the holes bigger
          Thanks

Related Topics

Collapse

• Bill G
        Insulation and sound deadening
        by Bill G
        Now that the outside of the car is done, I am looking forward to doing the inside. That is a project that will probably be done nest spring. However, I am trying to gather what I need for the project. I have read and re-read the thread Mitch posted a few months ago on the Classtique interior kit. At this point, I will probably go that same route.

Currently, I am driving around in...
        10-29-2019, 01:15 PM
      • Mitch
        Tudor rear side glass weatherstrip
        by Mitch
        All years are basically the same regarding the Tudor rear glass run replacement. These need to be done with the glass in place. The only way to get the glass in or out short of a hammer is by removing the runs. The top of the run has a little tang that is bent down to hold it in place. The bottom has a duck bill looking tang that just slides up into the lower frame slot. I have always found that even...
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 15 photos.
        03-31-2019, 08:36 PM
      • DBaldwin
        Weatherstrip shims?
        by DBaldwin
        i finally got the Tudor painted and would like to begin assembling the window channels however it’s been almost a year since I took it apart and neglected to take adequate pictures. I purchased all new window felts and upper rubber seals the problem( if it is one) is that I have four wooden strips approximately 1/8 inch thick that appear to be shims that would go between body and back side of side...
        09-12-2019, 03:18 PM
      • Brent
        Sound Deadening
        by Brent
        My current situation is shown in the attached photos. Any thoughts from the group in options for sound dampening? I haven't seen much discussion on the topic, but was hoping to get input from the group regarding the various methods out there and the locations where sound dampening should be considered. Thanks.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 2 photos.
        12-30-2018, 08:52 AM
      • GranTudor
        30-31 Tudor Rear Window
        by GranTudor
        I just read on the other forum that the 28-29 Tudor rear windows had curved corner brackets installed to suit the curve of the window glass and rubber to help locate and seal the unit when the interior frame was installed. Did the 30-31 Tudor have the same detail at the rear window? If so, a picture or two would be appreciated. Thanks Grantudor
        03-29-2019, 02:58 PM
      • Farmputzer
        Installing door windows
        by Farmputzer
        What is the procedure for installing new door window glass in a 30 Murray town sedan?...
        04-30-2018, 07:55 PM
      • 28PhaetonRoy
        NEED 28 PHAETON WINDSHIELD STANCHION LOCATION DIMENSIONS
        by 28PhaetonRoy
        Hi all:
        I am looking for a dimension from the top of my 28 Phaeton windshield stanchion tips from front to rear. I know side to side dim is 44" C to C, but I have a 7/16" difference in distance from the two stanchion tips to a centerpoint at the rear body tack rail. Is this enough to be concerned about when installing a new Lebaron Bonney top? If centerpoint at rear of body is not...
        02-24-2019, 03:07 PM
      • BNCHIEF
        Door panel replacement
        by BNCHIEF
        I got new door panels for my 30 tudor from mike my car had the door lock on the driver side and not on the passenger side as it is supposed to be according to snyders, the problem is this the panels i got from mike if I used his cut out would put the door lock opening on the passenger door. I have to wonder if he did not make a mistake or if I got something wrong but I do not think so. I will call...
        10-01-2019, 07:51 AM
      • Leo
        Drivers Window Difficult to Crank Up?
        by Leo
        On my 1930 coupe I find the drivers window very hard to raise. When restoring the car I replaced all the channels and glass in the doors and for some reason the passenger side window works well but the drivers side not so much. What can we try short of removing the upholstery panel to get inside the door?
        04-20-2018, 09:33 AM
      • BNCHIEF
        Sealing the doors on your closed car
        by BNCHIEF
        First off do any of you do it other than the windlace that is put there to cut wind noise. When I look at the top of the door on my 1930 tudor there is a hump that runs across the top to divert water and keep it from coming in. So does anybody seal your doors and how do you do it? pics suppliers materials would be nice I know Carl mentioned this. So I am curious be it tudor fordor or trucks...
        04-01-2018, 09:11 AM
      Working...
      X