Model B Distributor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model B Distributor

What will happen if I were to place a Model B distributor, or any other centrifugal advancing distributor atop a NuRex centrifugal advance unit?
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Your advance timing light will tell. I would say timing would go out of site when the RPM is at a fast idle. In the short a lot of pinging. But that's just my guess.

Comment

Maybe Bubba will know
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

You'll have 19 degrees more advance than you should have, plus it will advance faster than it should because each unit will be giving advance.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Greynomad
          B distributor advance
          by Greynomad
          I am soon assembling another engine for myself. It will have 6:1 CR, slight cam, down draught carburettor and B distributor. I will be fitting a B timing cover. With that CR, I think I should be aiming at 23° advance. So, where do I set the timing? ie, how many degrees does the B distributor advance and how much advance does the B timing cover give over an A one? Once I know these things, I figure...
          10-29-2021, 11:19 PM
        • Poor Boy
          Nu-Rex automatic timing advance
          by Poor Boy
          Good morning. I came across a Nu-Rex automatic timing advance . Does anyone have any experience or comments on using these? I printed off the instructions and they appear to be fairly straight forward. It states that there is ten degrees of advance for every thousand rpm, or thirty degrees at twenty eight hundred rpm. I was thinking of trying it on one of my engines, probably the B. How does...
          07-24-2020, 06:32 AM
        • DaWizard
          Alternate Distributor
          by DaWizard
          Ok, a bit of background first.

As some of you know I have been an advocate for the NuRex centrifugal advance and have been using one for 2 years without issue. Well, after reading the threads here about the advance and needs of the HC heads, I decided I would search for an alternate centrifugal advance distributor.

See, the stock engine with the 4.2:1 compression heads are
          02-14-2019, 03:57 PM
        • alexiskai
          Why is the Model B initial timing so advanced?
          by alexiskai
          I've been doing research for a video on ignition timing, and I realized the Model B's initial advance setting of 19° is actually really high. The Model A's initial timing is 0°, and if you look at the distributor settings for later V8 Fords, their initial advance is in the 2-4° range. Even on modern engines, standard initial timing is usually 10-12°. Why 19°?

The best theory I have...
          09-07-2021, 02:50 AM
        • vonheine
          Distributor RPM, mechanical advance
          by vonheine
          In the late 1970s, my friends and I used to hotrod V8 engines. We used to modify the distributor power curves by changing the weights and springs so that the mechanical advance would meet our specifications. We had access to a distributor machine at the trade school from which we all graduated from to confirm the modified power curve. I want to build a simple mechanical advance mechanism for a standard...
          06-09-2019, 07:11 AM
        • Captndan
          More on distributors
          by Captndan
          Which way is best, Original with Nurex, Model B, Mallory, or electronic. And there seems to me more than one model of Nurex. Automatic advance is the goal.
          09-30-2017, 06:22 PM
        • DaWizard
          Ok, sticking my neck out.
          by DaWizard
          Now, I know this has been discussed in reference to the FSI distributors and high compression heads, but I need to get just a bit more info on the stock distributor.

I now have in my possession a Snyders 6:1 high compression head and I think since I can't afford a Mitchell OD it will be the next step in the ever changing "Touring Tudor" named Wheezer.

As
          12-09-2018, 11:27 PM
        • slammin
          Opinions on Nurex auto advance system
          by slammin
          Gentlemen, as I compile the "wish list" for my new 29 Tudor, the Nurex system is one thing I am considering. I know the purists feel this is an affront to Henry's creation, but I'm not building a fine points winner. I plan to drive the car for a while to get the feel of the Model A as it was designed. I would like feedback from those of you that have first hand experience with the Nurex...
          09-27-2017, 01:16 PM
        • Bud_D
          Recommendations regarding a good centrifugal advance distributor (POINTS, not electronic)
          by Bud_D
          Hi, I have finished rebuilding my engine and it runs fine. I used to use a B front cover and a B distributor and enjoyed not having to adjust my spark advance. I have a Brumfield head (roughly 6:1) and now have a Stipe touring cam. Currently I have a standard Model A distributor. I would like to have what would essentially be a B distributor with enough spark advance to run OK. I now have an...
          09-29-2021, 12:48 PM
        • carolinamudwalker
          Engine noise
          by carolinamudwalker
          For you real mechanics, what is the rattling, marbles sound that I am getting when climbing long steep hills? I am very reluctant to down shift to second because it is all over until rounding the crest and starting down. I know that I am lugging by keeping the car in 3rd for as long as possible and it rattles. But running at 30mph in second it sounds like a bunch of marbles. AER touring engine...
          05-27-2019, 03:57 PM
        Working...
        X