Bratton's differential, transmission, steering gear oil analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bratton's differential, transmission, steering gear oil analysis

Attached are the analysis for the Bratton's gear oil. Blackstone was not able to answer all of my questions as this speciality oil has additives that are not normally found in other lubricating oils that they test. In a phone conversation with the chemist he said that the oil was doing an exceptional job protecting the differential components and could have gone many more miles than the 15,000 it had been used. I included the virgin oil report and the used oil report. Note that the viscosity of the virgin oil is equivalent to 140 gear oil. The chemist said that the "sticky" additive significantly increased the oil's ability to cling to the gears and bearings but they could not identify the specific agent used as it was not in their database of chemicals that they test for. When the transmission is due for a change, I will send in a sample of the used oil.

31 FORD DIFF-200624.pdf
    VIRGIN DIFF FLUID-200624.pdf

That's really interesting. Thanks.
    Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

Am I right in thinking that both oils were the oils Brattons sells.

Comment

Yes- both were the Bratton's oil.

Comment

Thanks, that is very useful info. Also that Bratton's sells it.

Comment

The question to ask the oil analysis people. Is this oil likely better for straight cut gears experiencing heavy pressure. Is it like a heavy pressure steam oil?

Comment

is that the oil all venders sell in the white bottle?

Comment

Originally posted by old victoria View Post
                is that the oil all venders sell in the white bottle?
                Don't know. Without the suppliers divulging their source for their oil, each would have to be lab tested for comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
                  The question to ask the oil analysis people. Is this oil likely better for straight cut gears experiencing heavy pressure. Is it like a heavy pressure steam oil?
                  I get the impression that Blackstone does not make recommendations for a particular oil's use but will give lab results to determine if a particular oil is doing a proper job in lubricating the equipment in which it is installed. That keeps their potential liability to their lab results only. The Bratton's oil used 15,000 miles in my differential showed that the wear indicators in the analysis were extremely low giving me confidence that it is a proper oil for the model A differential. One needs to remember as well that driving demands and conditions will effect the type of oil chosen for any application.

Comment

We only use Bratton’s oil. Never had any issues or foaming. Folks will always continue to make home brews for whatever reason.

Thanks Gerry for sharing your 600W analysis with us.
                    3 ~ Tudor's
                    Henry Ford said
                    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Leo
                      600W Oil Equivalent? AGMA 8EP ISO 680
                      by Leo
                      I found a gallon of this in my garage which I must have purchased years ago. Does it equate to 600W oil?
                      11-24-2020, 08:11 AM
                    • Jamey E
                      Changing the tranny oil
                      by Jamey E
                      Does anybody do or suggest doing the kerosene flush when changing the oil in the transmission? We believe the car currently has the incorrect oil in it, & we are planning to use the 600W
                      04-19-2020, 10:43 AM
                    • Kevin in NJ
                      600W Oil Information
                      by Kevin in NJ
                      The original oil was called 600W. That is not 600 weight. It is a heavy pressure steam oil designed for straight cut gears which is what is in the A. Of course the oils were changed over time and the curent oil if you wish to buy bulk is call 680W depending on brand. You can also contact the guy selling steam oil and get smaller quantities http://steamenginelube.com

Re: Mobile 636 gear...
                      01-11-2018, 08:25 PM
                    • Dennis
                      The disappointing oil results.
                      by Dennis
                      I got the jug Mobilgear oil delivered to me a couple days ago and decided to clear the bench so I can move on. I would recommend not wasting your money on Mobilgear 600XP 460. It is actually SAE 140. I didn’t notice that before I ordered it. I also had a bottle of Mac’s 600W I bought in the past out of convenience from CW Moss. I had identical measuring cups from the laundry soap bottles that...
                      07-08-2019, 11:19 AM
                    • bosticjb
                      oil
                      by bosticjb
                      Whats the oil of choice for a 28 A...
                      07-23-2020, 03:41 PM
                    • Michael M
                      Switching to synthetic oil
                      by Michael M
                      So as not to hijack the other oil thread on here, I thought I would ask a new question in a new thread.

It seems conventional wisdom says you can mix conventional oil and synthetic. Its also been reported that conventional oil will detract from the superior performance of synthetic oil and reduce its benefits.

It's also a given that a quart or more oil stays in the tray...
                      09-04-2017, 02:12 PM
                    • rrich1
                      Favorite oil for hand held oil can?
                      by rrich1
                      What oil do you use for a hand held oil can to lube the various parts on the model A? Also do you use an antique oiler or a new one? The ladder is more curiosity than anything....
                      10-08-2019, 06:29 PM
                    • Kevin in NJ
                      Shock oil, an example
                      by Kevin in NJ
                      Something I totally forgot I have. A 3/4 full can of era shock oil.
                      it was next to a can of oil sold by suppliers likely in the 70’s.
                      At some point I will try to figure a way to test and compare the oil to other oils. I did do a finger compare between the clear oil in the modern can vs the reddish oil in the old can. The old oil felt thicker.

When I get some time I will...
                      09-22-2020, 12:39 PM
                    • canadian
                      oil return.
                      by canadian
                      29 all stock engine, pulls dipstick cold engine ,oil level on F mark. engine running for 20 minutes while farting around with stuff. pull dipstick engine off ..oil level 1/4 inch on stick ... 1 hour later ... oil level 1/2 inch on stick . it took 2 hours for oil to return to F. I found out why just by coincidence , the oil return pipe was not hot to touch and I discovered that the lower cork gasket...
                      04-16-2019, 10:41 AM
                    • Blown Gasket
                      Oil change again and probably again
                      by Blown Gasket
                      I changed my oil today but did not pour any oil down the distributor hole as many claim they do. I have read, looked at pictures and diagrams but fail to understand the logic behind it. To me the oil would go around and down the shaft, over the pump and into the sump. Oil poured into the crankcase tube goes to the same place. If changing oil removes oil from the upper valve chamber so would letting...
                      03-30-2021, 04:43 PM
                    Working...
                    X