Spring Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Identification

Is there a way to tell how many leaves are in my spring while it is in my Truck?

Visibly I see only 6 leaves.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

It has to be a 10 leaf spring because it fills the cross member. An eight leaf spring recesses in a good 1/2" and requires different spring clip bars. Of course that doesn't tell us which of three 10 leaf springs it is.

Comment

Here is a tech thread showing Marco's spring chart, for further identification

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...nt-spring-info
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
        It has to be a 10 leaf spring because it fills the cross member. An eight leaf spring recesses in a good 1/2" and requires different spring clip bars. Of course that doesn't tell us which of three 10 leaf springs it is.
        Thanks Marco.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
          Here is a tech thread showing Marco's spring chart, for further identification

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...nt-spring-info
          Thanks Mitch, have seen this , but does not seem to tell you how to ID what you have when it is mounted in the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by 1930 Closed Cab PU View Post
            Is there a way to tell how many leaves are in my spring while it is in my Truck?

Visibly I see only 6 leaves.

Small spring on beige car is Roadster, larger spring on blue car is Tudor. A true proper pickup spring would appear like the Tudor but with main leaf and second leaf both thicker than the rest.
            Attached Files

Comment

With a 12" piece of 3/16" dowel, you can slide it up the top of the spring and count the leafs you encounter. the smallest (last one) will be about 10" or 12" long, so 5" or 6" from the center bolt. I just apply a little downward pressure and count the drops of the dowel as I pull the dowel out, add one leaf for the one I ran into at the top, and voila!

Thinking about it you may have had the best tool in your hand already.

I turned the flash on my phone camera and took this pic up the rear spring of my project car for this winter.

Rear Spring.jpg
              Last edited by Hank B; 09-30-2020, 11:42 AM. Reason: Added a Pic.

Comment

Originally posted by 1930 Closed Cab PU View Post
                Thanks Mitch, have seen this , but does not seem to tell you how to ID what you have when it is mounted in the truck.
                I'm adding a larger version of the chart in an attempt to make it easier to read the thickness of the color coded leaves. If you follow the flow lines of the 10 leaf springs (A, D, E) you'll find each of the three springs include a different combination of thicknesses on the bottom two leaves. That means you can measure your bottom two leaves and determine which combination matches your pickup.

It's worth noting that pickups used spring "D" until mid 1929. At the end of 1928 Ford added the slightly heavier spring "E" for use on the soon to be released Station Wagon. In May 1929 Ford changed the pickup requirement to spring "E" and made spring "D" obsolete.

With the introduction of the 1930 models, Ford brought back the "D" spring for use on all new Fordor models.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Jim Mason
                  d j, how is the spring..
                  by Jim Mason
                  Progressing?
                  05-09-2019, 03:33 PM
                • knuckl
                  Rear spring with reversed eyes.
                  by knuckl
                  My reversed eye front spring went in easily. I can see that the rear needs to be spread. Of course a spring spreader won't work with it. I was going to use the K. R. Wilson spreader but I have been warned that it is a very dangerous tool. It was also suggested to dismantle the spring. Bolt in the main leaf by itself as it would be easy to spread by hand. Then reassemble the spring. What do you th...
                  11-30-2020, 08:11 PM
                • Mitch
                  Weak front spring
                  by Mitch
                  This truck had a weak front spring which caused the drag link to rub the tie rod. The drag link actually had a flat spot worn into it. Note the distance now with a new spring. If your rods rub you also need a spring...
                  This gallery has 1 photos.
                  02-21-2018, 02:05 PM
                • Tudor31
                  Front Spring
                  by Tudor31
                  This is a Tudor 1931 with a ten leaf front spring. In the last five years I have done a lot of work to get it in good shape. The attention has now turned to the springs and especially the front spring. I have a feeling that the spring is worn down, but I can't figure out if that is the case. The distance between the spring ends and the axle is about a quarter inch and the distance between the clip...
                  10-16-2020, 07:52 PM
                • wrndln
                  Front axle spring restoration
                  by wrndln
                  I have a question on restoring an original front spring. The spring is a standard 10 leaf spring. I have sandblasted the individual leaves. The question is: Should I epoxy prime the individual leaves before assembling them. I plan to use John Deere Slip Plate between the leaves to provide a lubricant. Any helpful comments would be appreciated on whether the leaves should be painted or just assemble...
                  06-21-2019, 01:31 PM
                • Steve Plucker
                  Marco's FRONT Spring Chart
                  by Steve Plucker
                  Marco Tahtaras did an excelent REAR Spring Chart showing just where the different individual springs went in a assembled REAR spring.

That being the case ...did he ever do one for the FRONT Spring Assembly?

I say this because I have several disassembled front springs and I do not know just where some of the leaves would go because they are of different lengths and thicknesses....
                  01-20-2019, 04:08 PM
                • Fomoco998
                  Rear spring removal
                  by Fomoco998
                  Pulled the rear from the car and removed all the brakes. Got it on saw horses and have what is called a traveling spring spreader looking for any extra precautions in removing spring with a spreader of this type . Thanks
                  07-01-2018, 03:17 PM
                • Wobbly Dave
                  1916 Front Spring Oilers?
                  by Wobbly Dave
                  I recently acquired a Canadian 1916 Touring T. I thought it odd that the front spring shackles do not have any provision for oiling. Aren't these supposed to have holes in the perches and springs for flip top oilers or something? It looks like there is a spot on the spring but no hole, just a ghost of a circle. They could not have originally been like this - could they?
                  This gallery has 3 photos.
                  04-11-2020, 11:20 AM
                • Jim Mason
                  i found a spring
                  by Jim Mason

Seems i had one all along.
                  What ever happened to the manufacture of them?...
                  09-01-2019, 12:58 PM
                • Rowdy
                  Rear Spring Clip Height
                  by Rowdy
                  I did a search as I beleive this was posted in the past, but did not find the post. What is the correct height of the clip for the 8 leaf spring? Seems I have 3 different heights in my parts stash. Thanks Rod
                  11-30-2018, 07:55 PM
                Working...
                X