Liquid Glass???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquid Glass???

Anyone ever have to revert to using Liquid Glass to seal up a small crack in an engine block? If so, what results did you have?

Maybe this should have gone into the Technical Forum, I feel so "techy" today!!!!!
    "Bullshit and Brilliance Comes with Age and Experience"

BTW...I won't hold anyone responsible if I should decide to try this method.

Comment

That's for PRESERVING EGGS, not for fixin' cracked blocks or heads!!!
      Bill Cautioning

Comment

some info

Comment

Yes it works, when I was a kid the man acrosst the road used it to fix flat head V8,s with it. But there are many good sealers today so why not use one of them.

Comment

You gotta' know WHAT you're doing, when you mess with WATER GLASS!!!! If you get some of it hardened up in the RADUMATOR, you may as well JUNK it!!!----It's even "possible" to plug up small water holes in the block or head!!!! NO
            Saw one car, where it "encased" all the top ends of the RADUMATOR tubes!!!
            Dad

Comment

Update: I have a 'frostcrack' and I have some 'Titanium Putty' coming and have acquired the items needed to do the repair myself. I will be playing mechanic next week.

Comment

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                God speed!

While sodium silicate (A.K.A. water glass, liquid glass) will seal a block crack and is part of some leak sealers, be careful where it goes.

A few years back, when the Fed gov'mnt decided to condemn all the old used cars sodium silicate was the toxin used to euthanize the engines. A pint in the oil and running it at fast idle for several minutes seized all the bearing surfaces and ripped up the crank journals. Screech! Locked up engine.

FWIW, the stuff works by reacting with carbon dioxide. End product: silicon dioxide (Quartz, the stuff sand and glass are made from). I used to use it as a sand binder in my foundry with E.P.S. patterns.

Comment

At commercial egg producers, eggs are washed, coated with Sodium Silicate, so the shell is impervious to bacteria gettin' in & spoiling the eggs. I have NEVER spoiled a raw egg, in my Fridge!---BUT, once I crashed 6, on the floor, when a cute Old Lady rang my "BELL"!
                Dad Omelettemakerandadmirerofcuteoldladies!---(IF you think I'm KRAZY---Like a FOX!)

Comment

I'll try this Titanium Putty instead. Better than doing nothing and letting it sit there going no place.

Comment

You never said where the crack was in the block? Is it accessible from the outside? If so you can always use JB Weld. Just clean it up, V cut it and fill with JB and pattern like original casting and done!
                    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Originally posted by DaWizard View Post
                      You never said where the crack was in the block? Is it accessible from the outside? If so you can always use JB Weld. Just clean it up, V cut it and fill with JB and pattern like original casting and done!
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• DaWizard
                        DaWizard commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That sure looks JB weldable to me

Just under the front lip...........this putty is suppose to be stronger than JB Weld.

Comment

Originally posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
                        That's for PRESERVING EGGS, not for fixin' cracked blocks or heads!!!
                        Bill Cautioning
                        Works in old copper stills too.

Comment

Originally posted by Captndan View Post
                          Works in old copper stills too.
                          I have one of those, you want it? Everybody I show it to takes off running. I don't know why? ...

Comment