29 Oval Window Business Coupe Top Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 29 Oval Window Business Coupe Top Parts

Does anyone have pictures and some details for the bracketry and frames for the oval windows? Would like to see them before the fabric is on. Dad wants to convert his Special Coupe to a Business Coupe. Pretty familure to most of the parts needed, but know the windows throw in some variation so that the wood pieces do not go across the windows themselves. Possibly located the lower front corner brackets and some of the other pieces. Thanks Rod
    Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

try contacting Clarence Howland in Emporia KAnsas. I met him at the Loveland meet last year and he had all of the brackets and frames that are needed for the Business coupe. He might be able to help you out. If you need his contact info send me an E-mail

Comment

Might need his number at some point after a trip to Denver. For right now I need pics to make sure I do not miss a piece at Berts. I have not seen Clarance since the city of Emporia made him move his stash of parts out of city limits. Thanks Rod
      Last edited by Rowdy; 10-04-2017, 03:45 PM.
      Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

Rowdy, if you can wait a day I'll take some pix of my coupe and send 'em to you or post 'em here. If you have a specific spot you need to reference, let me know.

Comment

Thanks Ray. Could use pics for sure. I know about the piece that arches from the top of the door, over the oval windows and attaches near the back corner of the roof. Need pic's of how the windows are held in place. Yes, I can wait a few days as Dad is in South Dakota til Friday. His coupe, so his decesion to make as far as money spent etc. I am just trying to finish it while he is still able to enjoy it. Turned 75 last month and has not turned a wrench on it for 5 years. Rod

Comment

Maybe these will help.
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Ray. So there is no physical mount for the oval windows to the top framework? Thanks Rod

Comment

• Ray Horton
                Ray Horton commented
                Editing a comment
                No they are only affixed to the top material itself. This is how I have seen them in all correctly restored '29 54A's

Originally posted by Ray Horton View Post
              Maybe these will help.
              I'm not seeing any pictures. Or, are they posted somewhere else?

Comment

I see them Tom but maybe this will help..

coupe1.jpgcoupe2.jpg
                3 ~ Tudor's
                Henry Ford said
                "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Thanks Mitch. I wonder why I can't see them in Ray's posting?

Comment

• Mitch
                    Mitch commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think you may have issues at times because your system is outdated and this forum is more modern than others. JMO

Got an email back and it sounds like I found all of the brackets. Rear window frame is available through Berts. Now to locate the Oval Window frames. They are 14"x 9" outside dimensions? Right? Thanks Rod
                  Last edited by Rowdy; 10-05-2017, 08:09 AM.

Comment

• Ray Horton
                    Ray Horton commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's what I remember, but I'll confirm that later. There are many oval windows out there; make sure you get the Model A ones. And the glass is flat, not beveled.
                    Last edited by Ray Horton; 10-06-2017, 06:38 PM.

• Rowdy
                    Rowdy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Ray. Put out a couple of feelers in various antique shops in the area for the oval windows. Will make a short trip to Teide's to dig through the piles of stuff there for them. Also put out some feelers for the beltrail molding. Will hopefully be digging through some stashes of parts in a few weeks. Rod

Ray, how hard would it be to make the arched piece that goes from the top rear of the door to the beltline wood. It does not look difficult unless the ends are bent in a complex way. Seems as far as brackets I can locate all except those so far. Still early in the search though. Rod

Comment

• Ray Horton
                    Ray Horton commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Rod, if you're referring to the flat metal piece as shown in my photo, I would think that would be easy to fabricate with the right dimensions and pattern. Mine came assembled, and I'm not handy that way, but if you can get a pattern, maybe from someone who has their 54A apart, you should be able to do it. The belt rail is going to be a challenge to find. I've heard there is boat molding that it very close, and it can be reworked to fit, but you're dealing with a compound complex curve, and I have never seen a source for such a thing. Even my original was a difficult installation.

• Rowdy
                    Rowdy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Ray. May send to the Benson for a drawing. No worries about the beltrail molding. Have several ratrodders in the area looking. Since they do not use them they will be likely to trade for a box of parts I have set back for such an occasion. Since it can be the last part on the car I will patiently look. Also have several people to call in the next month or so for it. Rod